By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predict Arms' Metascore

It appears to be the new darling of EDGE magazine, so i'd predict a high scoring start but then it's bound to get a few low scores for various reasons/hidden agendas. So i would expect, after the initial reviews are in to be around 85 but then dropping to 80-83 after a month or so.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Azuren said:

And the gameplay screams 82-86 for me.

While that would still be a great score, I have to wonder if you've truely looked at it. We know you like to judge games based on things that are completely irrelevant to the game itself afterall. I think people are believing it can't reach 90 simply because the game is not overly ambitious or an established n popular franchise. Perhaps I'm too optimistic here, but I'm hoping reviewers understand that those things have nothing to do with a game's quality.

What are you talking about? It's literally all over this website, and you think I haven't taken the time to look at it? As far as what I judge games on, you don't know me or what kinds of games I like, so maybe refrain from making guesses about my preferences.

And I never said it would get a bad score, or that 82-86 is a bad score. I said if it gets over 90, then it did so on the basis that reviewers are scared to give a well-received Nintendo game anything but a 90% or higher.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

peachbuggy said:
It appears to be the new darling of EDGE magazine, so i'd predict a high scoring start but then it's bound to get a few low scores for various reasons/hidden agendas. So i would expect, after the initial reviews are in to be around 85 but then dropping to 80-83 after a month or so.

That's a good sign. Edge is a pretty harsh critic, frequently passing out 6's and 7's to games that get that get 8's and 9's from the rest of the critics. 

spurgeonryan said:

Without having a switch and missing out on the pre play, I do not even barely know what it looks like.

But I hate motion control so I have no faith in it. After motion control in Star Fox I have even a stronger hate for it.

The motion controls in ARMS are completely optional.

Azuren said:

What are you talking about? It's literally all over this website, and you think I haven't taken the time to look at it? As far as what I judge games on, you don't know me or what kinds of games I like, so maybe refrain from making guesses about my preferences.

And I never said it would get a bad score, or that 82-86 is a bad score. I said if it gets over 90, then it did so on the basis that reviewers are scared to give a well-received Nintendo game anything but a 90% or higher.

Yep I do think that as I said already. As for guessing, I am not, you already said the number of games in a genre somehow matters.

They weren't scared with Splatoon. Is it really so hard to accept that Nintendo games can actually deserve to be 90 or higher?

Cerebralbore101 said:

I just checked his history of scores and you are right. BotW and TLG are the only two games that he hated on. 

If you go back to when he was at Escapist or Destructoid, he gave A Link Between Worlds a 7(not a bad score but 20 points below the norm) and Mario Kart 7 a 5.  His readers ribbed him over the latter, because he complained about the franchise being stagnant, and then shortly after gave Black Ops II an 8.5.

But his scores aren't arbitrary and he's not merely contrarian.  He has his own preferences like most reviewers.  I don't think he or anyone else is afraid of giving ARMS their opinion.

Around the Network
Azuren said:

Splatoon was well-received, and so was Mario Kart 8.  Both received under 90.  Zelda, Smash and 3D Mario are usually guaranteed to go over 90, but that's also true of GTA or Naughty Dog games...reviewers might simply like those series, not out of fear.  Take those franchises out and it's rare for other Nintendo games to go over 90.  Bayonetta 2 is the only one on Wii U that did, and it wasn't developed by Nintendo.  Fire Emblem: Awakening is the only 3DS game outside of Zelda and 3D Mario to top 90.  Not a single Pokemon game scored 90 on 3DS, and I'd say those games are pretty popular.  I'm not seeing a pattern where reviewers are scared to go under 90 for Nintendo games.

77. Will be loved more by the Nintendo hardcore... everyone else will say "s'aight".

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

74, there aren't enough modes to justify a higher score and the motion controls will cause a divide despite them being completely optional

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

TargaryenVers2 said:
74, there aren't enough modes to justify a higher score and the motion controls will cause a divide despite them being completely optional

Pokken got a 76 with 2 modes. ARMS has 10. Reviewers didn't neg Zelda or Mario Kart for having optional motion controls so I don't see why they'd start now.