By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Global Warming is a Hoax by Lord Christopher Monckton

pokoko said:
Leadified said:

I'd disagree with that. Major faith leaders and many Christians believe that climate change is an ecological and moral crisis, this is a political mentality.

Many Christians in the American south believe it's a hoax.  However, it's interesting to look at the different strands of politics with them.  Do they believe it's a hoax because they are Christian or because it's what many Republican leaders tell them?  They tend to go all-in on politics and believe everything they hear from the side they've chosen even without understanding the arguments.

As an example, I once had an old man who would hang out at the place I worked tell me that rich people needed a tax cut.  He was probably living from one social security check to the next but the two things he trusted most were his god and his Fox News (he might have considered Fox News to be the Holy Spirit aspect of the trinity, I'm not sure).

What would happen if Republican leaders suddenly said climate change is true?  It would be very interesting.

You do bring up some interesting points and it's difficult to answer, you could easily write a thesis on this subject. I'm not even sure if Republicans are the cause of this attitude or are just the result of this attitude, so it would be very interesting to see what would happen if leaders suddenly changed their tune.

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
Leadified said:

I'd disagree with that. Major faith leaders and many Christians believe that climate change is an ecological and moral crisis, this is a political mentality.

Fun fact, but one of my Engineering professors at college actually challenged Monckton, the guy in the OP, over this debate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Abraham_(professor)

Why is it funny? Well because I went to the University of St. Thomas for my undergrad, a Christian affiliated university, and not only did the University throw their full support behind my professor, but Monckton even mocked him for being from a Bible Belt institution. Funny how people like to jump on board the "Christianity hates science herp derp" without bothering to look into the actual discussion.

The British guy was a real ass too, even mocking my prof's voice at one point. I invite people to look up Monckton's debate with John Abraham if they're really interested.

I'm kind of curious what Monckton's motivations are, he's a bit of a strange guy.

Leadified said:
pokoko said:

Many Christians in the American south believe it's a hoax.  However, it's interesting to look at the different strands of politics with them.  Do they believe it's a hoax because they are Christian or because it's what many Republican leaders tell them?  They tend to go all-in on politics and believe everything they hear from the side they've chosen even without understanding the arguments.

As an example, I once had an old man who would hang out at the place I worked tell me that rich people needed a tax cut.  He was probably living from one social security check to the next but the two things he trusted most were his god and his Fox News (he might have considered Fox News to be the Holy Spirit aspect of the trinity, I'm not sure).

What would happen if Republican leaders suddenly said climate change is true?  It would be very interesting.

You do bring up some interesting points and it's difficult to answer, you could easily write a thesis on this subject. I'm not even sure if Republicans are the cause of this attitude or are just the result of this attitude, so it would be very interesting to see what would happen if leaders suddenly changed their tune.

I can only speak from anecdotal stories, but my family, and especially my mother, believe it's okay to pollute the planet since God is "going to fix everything soon" anyway. So she's fine with essentially sitting on her hands while people wreck the planet because it'll be "fixed". I hate that mindset. It's not the mindset of all Christians but I know she isnt the only one who thinks that way.  

Leadified said:

I'm kind of curious what Monckton's motivations are, he's a bit of a strange guy.

He's an absolute nobody in the British hierarchy.

He also doesn't understand science at all and is frequently caught intentionally lying in his "debates" about science.

Just check "Potholer54" and Monckton on YouTube to get a glimps of this turd.

craighopkins said:

For those who don’t know, the Oxford Union is the top of the food chain for scholarly debate

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/05/24/lord-monckton-wins-global-warming-debate-at-oxford-union/

Monckton has long since been discredited, his claims thoroughly debunked, particularly his inflated claims of his own credentials.  potholer54 has shredded Monckton's arguments before the above "debate" even took place, as you can see below.  

For those who are interested in learning more about Climate Change and seeing the myths on both sides of the discussion debunked, I invite you to watch this playlist.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL82yk73N8eoX-Xobr_TfHsWPfAIyI7VAP ; you will find these videos in it.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Leadified said:

I can only speak from anecdotal stories, but my family, and especially my mother, believe it's okay to pollute the planet since God is "going to fix everything soon" anyway. So she's fine with essentially sitting on her hands while people wreck the planet because it'll be "fixed". I hate that mindset. It's not the mindset of all Christians but I know she isnt the only one who thinks that way.  

Wow, that's like reverse slacktivism. My family is mostly Christian (I am not), and they do believe its our responsibility to protect the planet, so its definitely not a uniform mindset.

Fake interview, but still very funny: http://www.the-postillon.com/2017/06/trump-interview-paris-climate.html

StarOcean said:
Leadified said:

Born and raised Catholic. Although I'm no longer a participant in Catholicism, people often forget about the different branches of Christianity. Catholics once used to be hardcore on being strict and to the word of the Bible (Their Interputation at least). Now they are overall one of the most relaxed branches of Christianity. I personally don't know any Catholics who would deny Global Warming or Evolution (Hell I know some who don't give a flying f**k about gay marriage and lean heavily to the left). Although this can be skewed from my own opinion, but I do live in Chicago which is the Catholic center of the US and votes heavily democratic.

On a slightly different note, this is where bunching all different branches of Islam into a single group becomes dangerous and derogatory. Just like with Christianity; although the ideal solution would to be one day to reject all religion (as unlikely as that'll be for the foreseeable future).

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

brendude13 said:
vivster said:
"Serious observers are interpreting this shock result as a sign that students are now impatiently rejecting the relentless extremist propaganda taught under the guise of compulsory environmental-studies classes in British schools, confirming opinion-poll findings that the voters are no longer frightened by “global warming” scare stories, if they ever were."

Yeah I'll leave my opinion up to actual climate scientists, thank you.

There will always be back and forth consipiracy theories. I'd rather trust what 97% of scientists say.

Peh said:
crissindahouse said:
I live in the "Ruhrgebiet", an area in Germany where coal was a big thing in the past, where you couldn't see 10 meters because of all the smoke in the air and if someone wants to tell me that this shit was not a problem for the planet I can only feel bad for such a person.

You just need to look at Peking when the smog alarm goes off. 

I guess Trump wants this feature to be resident in the US. 

We need to protect this planet.

We dont yet have the technology or means to get to another habitable planet.

So this one needs to last that long.

Whether or not global warming is real or not, it doesn't seem like an issue that we can do anything about. Our lifestyle demands millions of barrels of oil to be burned everyday.