By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - NBA Finals Discussion- warriors clean up in five games, win it all 129-120

Chris Hu said:
Soundwave said:

Nah, I can make the arguement pretty clearly that Jordan is the best ever. He has 6 titles as the main option of a team on top of having the highest scoring average in the history of the game. No one else really even has 4. He's basically the Wayne Gretzky of basketball (top scorer + many championships). 

Well Jordan barely edges out Chamberlain when it comes to highest scoring average but that is only due to the fact that Chamberlain had numerous injuries that slowed him down significantly towards the end of his career despite that he still has the most career rebounds and the highest rebond average.  

Lets be real, a young Jordan would average 50+ ppg against the small guards and no rim protection of the 60s. Dunks for days and days. 

David Robinson in the 60s would basically be Wilt. 

Like seriously watch this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78v25cinYI

Anyone seriously think this is the best basketball ever? Give me a break, dudes are blowing point blank lay ups, half the players can't dribble with both hands, there's enough bricks of simple weakly contested mid-range jumpers here to build a new arena, Bill "greatest player ever" Russell not even trying to play offence, etc. etc. etc.

Any player who could shoot 50% from mid-range would be like the best player on the court, lol. A modern player like Westbrook or Kobe would eat these guys alive. 

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
WebMasterFlex said:
Sorry but I'm so happy with this season : Warriors breaking records again, Kevin Durant ready to be MVP of the finals and Russell Westbrook I hope will be the MVP of the regular season. James Harden could have it tho.

Best season ever.

Nope since the Thunder vs Rockets was the only decent playoff series this has actually been one of the worst seasons ever.

Don't hate because they are beautiful ^^^^. If you were a Warrior's fan or KD's fan or Westbrook's fan you would be happy

WebMasterFlex said:
Chris Hu said:

Nope since the Thunder vs Rockets was the only decent playoff series this has actually been one of the worst seasons ever.

Don't hate because they are beautiful ^^^^. If you were a Warrior's fan or KD's fan or Westbrook's fan you would be happy

Ugh, nope I doubt any Westbrook fan is happy since they got elimanted in the first round by a team that was only questionably better.

I don't think the Rockets has done an hold up when they won.

So, it looks like not trying to have a record-breaking regular season helped them not get burnt out by the time they made the playoffs.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
WebMasterFlex said:

Kevin Durant is best player of the world. Cry...

Nah, he's a quitter who reeks of desperation for a ring. He'll get a ring but we all know what he had to do to get it. There's no changing history.

Did someone mention quitting? How many points did Cleveland get in the last 3 minutes of game 3? Zero? How many did Durant get? Seven you say? If Durant is a quitter then I guess Cleveland is a no-show. Get silenced.

Every NBA player is desperate for a ring, it's every NBA players dream lol, what do you think is the biggest prize in the NBA? Loyalty to a capitalistic organization? Someone fooled you.

He'll get a ring because he's one of the greatest players in the league. He'll get a ring because he ACTUALLY makes shots within the last 3 minutes of the game. There's no changing history, which is why Durant chose his future with GSW.

A_C_E said:
KLAMarine said:

Nah, he's a quitter who reeks of desperation for a ring. He'll get a ring but we all know what he had to do to get it. There's no changing history.

Did someone mention quitting? How many points did Cleveland get in the last 3 minutes of game 3? Zero? How many did Durant get? Seven you say? If Durant is a quitter then I guess Cleveland is a no-show. Get silenced.

Every NBA player is desperate for a ring, it's every NBA players dream lol, what do you think is the biggest prize in the NBA? Loyalty to a capitalistic organization? Someone fooled you.

He'll get a ring because he's one of the greatest players in the league. He'll get a ring because he ACTUALLY makes shots within the last 3 minutes of the game. There's no changing history, which is why Durant chose his future with GSW.

Nah, some players stick with their team through thick and thin. Others seek out opportunities elsewhere.

And some like Durant shamelessly defect to a historic, 73-9 team that defeated his team in the last playoffs. I got no respect for players who are THAT desperate for a ring.

Soundwave said:
Chris Hu said:

Well Jordan barely edges out Chamberlain when it comes to highest scoring average but that is only due to the fact that Chamberlain had numerous injuries that slowed him down significantly towards the end of his career despite that he still has the most career rebounds and the highest rebond average.  

Lets be real, a young Jordan would average 50+ ppg against the small guards and no rim protection of the 60s. Dunks for days and days. 

Anyone seriously think this is the best basketball ever? Give me a break, dudes are blowing point blank lay ups, half the players can't dribble with both hands, there's enough bricks of simple weakly contested mid-range jumpers here to build a new arena, Bill "greatest player ever" Russell not even trying to play offence, etc. etc. etc.

Any player who could shoot 50% from mid-range would be like the best player on the court, lol. A modern player like Westbrook or Kobe would eat these guys alive. 

Ok let me dismantle this little post for you.

1)  This is the second half of the seventh game of a hard fought 7 game series.  Did you even watch your own video?  This would be like using the stat line from the second half of game 7 from the 2016 finals to discredit the era we are currently in.

2)  Despite that, there's some great plays going on here and some really excellent passing.  The gameplay is nowhere near as bad as you made it sound.

3) this is 62, very early in the era.  64 through 69 is far more representative, perhaps even start at 65.  That was the time when the game rapidly changed into more of what the modern game is like minus the 3 point line.

4) the reason they don't switch hands much and cross up is due to rules and calling tendencies of the time.  You had to have your hand more or less on top of the ball.  If you wanna know why they didn't bust a move like Curry or Irving, that's why.  They would get called for a carry on every possession.  Times were different, as you point out, but in many cases it downplays rather than inflates the capabilities of the players.

5) if you did more research than a YouTube video, you would know that in this game alone Russell grabbed 40 rebounds and scored 30 points with a high shooting percentage from the field and the free throw line.  So your argument concerning his impact on the court is demonstrably false.

Oh and saying Wilt was the only player back then who could compete today is laughable, there are several greats from that day who could hang in this era and be greats.  Shoot, Jerry West would be better now than he is then, what with defense being far more restrained due to call tendencies, a 3 point line to take advantage of, and looser carrying calls allowing him to make better use of his agility.

Oh and David Robinson over Wilt or equal to Wilt is a bad joke.  You clearly have done no research regarding Wilt's game or physical abilities.

As for Jordan, yes I could see him being the Wilt Chamberlain of guards back then and much like Wilt slowing down as the game's pace slowed and defense improved.  Jordan would be great then, though he would have to overcome some habits, and Wilt would be great now.

Soundwave said:
Chris Hu said:

Well the overall talent pool was much smaller in the 60s and the majority of great athletes as far as team sports goes still choose baseball over basketball and football.  Jordan wouldn't need to dunk back in the 60s pretty much all shooting guards and point guards where undersized back then he would have no problem shooting plenty of uncontested jump shoots and even most of his contented shoots wouldn't be that hard since he would have had a clear size advantace.  

KLAMarine said:
A_C_E said:

Nah, some players stick with their team through thick and thin. Others seek out opportunities elsewhere.

And some like Durant shamelessly defect to a historic, 73-9 team that defeated his team in the last playoffs. I got no respect for players who are THAT desperate for a ring.

You are choosing to see it in a negative way, attaching meaningless social stigma to KD taking advantage of his greatest opportunity for a ring. No different than the rest of the sheep that lay hate upon KD just because he joined a team that just so happened to go up against a team that beat him the year prior.

Shameless? There's no shame in joining a winning team. Again that's on you to put that in negative light. KD was able to get over the loss but people no more than simple on-lookers can't? Salty.

Defection? Players get traded all the time, and all teams take losses from one another all over the place throughout the playoffs. You are looking at this situation and creating drama out of nothing.

It's a shame people allow their views to be infested with illogical social stigma.

I'm pretty sure KD isn't going to allow a bunch of baseless opinions stop him from making the smartest choice he could in the NBA.