By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online announced

I am especially interested in this ongoing access to a library of classic Games! Besides NES I am sure the service will offer SNES and N64 and maybe GameCube, Wii, and Wii U?! With added online Play? $19.99 a year is a bargain!

Around the Network
spemanig said:

"At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration, but we have nothing further to announce at this time."

There're my answers.

What do you consider reasonable for $20/yr?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Kai_Mao said:
Zkuq said:
Horrible value but at least the price is quite affordable.

What makes its horrible value for $20 a year?

Because you're paying $20 for something that should arguably be free. Many tolerate PS+ and Gold because even people with fairly picky tastes should end up getting decent value out of the monthly games, but it being tied to online is still a frequent complaint levied against the PS4 and X1. 

Still, i wouldn't personally hold it against Nintendo. There's little reason not to charge for online on consoles these days, and at least it's far more affordable for those that do buy these subscriptions for nothing but the online.

Pyro as Bill said:
spemanig said:

"At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration, but we have nothing further to announce at this time."

There're my answers.

What do you consider reasonable for $20/yr?

If this is really VC Netflix, and it includes more than just Nintendo franchises or NES/SNES games, and some of those games have added online, then that. Easily.

There will still be things to criticize in that we have to suffer thorugh a drip feed again and how online shouldn't be tied to that, but should be free, (also no party chat) but it will still be worth the $20.

VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:
$20 makes me feel like I'm gonna get a third of what PS+ gives me.

Well, I'd rather pay $20 for just the online than $60 for online and a bunch of other things added on that I don't really care about.

Same here!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, I'd rather pay $20 for just the online than $60 for online and a bunch of other things added on that I don't really care about.

Same here!

But in all honesty, I'd rather not have it be a fee at all, and I may not even play online because of this.

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:
I wonder which games won't be requiring the online fee to play them online since it says "most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online."

Animal Crossing?

I don't think Nintendo has done a good job at all at making this service seem like it's even worth $1. Hopefully this "trial" rectifies that, though I wonder what features will be missing until the pay-time comes.

Also, I hate when Nintendo just gives a general year. Everyone is expecting Q1 when it will probably be delayed until Q4, and that's not a good thing when this whole mess comes off so bare bones as it is.

EDIT: Also, didn't we know it would be $20 for months? That's what the japanese price revealed/leaked months back implied.

You mean you don't crave paying 20 bucks to play Splatoon in it's intended state?  The sound of playing games that are literally-no hyperbole-not even exaggerating- 30 years old doesn't incite you?  Some people man I swear.

As for that smartphone app... I get it.  They want to have a way to do portable voice chat - maybe they're expecting people to tether their Switch and the voice app to their smartphone's data plan to play "wherever".  It's a neat idea but if those Hori images tell the tale, it's just as awful as this Nintendo Online service.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

That's awesome value. It's very cheap. I'll gladly pay for it. ^^

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

$20 a year is really good, especially if we get decent discounts and games. Just imagine 8 player online multiplayer in the original Super Mario Kart (if they decide to do SNES as well).

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bluedestroyer_82/

Online Games: Speedrunners, Payday, Friday the 13th, Dead by Daylight, Rocket League, etc.

Switch: 7518-9635-4492

Online Games: ARMS, Splatoon 2, MK8D, Puyo Puyo Tetris, etc.

Good price, 20$ for Kart/Smash and maybe Arms is better than a bunch of ps plus games i don't care about and Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 online.

I've literally spent 120$ just to be able to play BB & DaS 3, so this is great.

Don't care about voice chat since i don't use it anyway, and the NES games with online sounds cool.