By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online announced

vivster said:
Expected price. Interesting they bumped it to 2018, wasn't it just 6 months previously?

Finally Nintendo is doing something good for the gaming community. Seeing the acrobatics of people who previously praised Nintendo for being the only ones not demanding money for online now trying to defend the decision is entertaining to watch for everyone. And it's free!

You mean the same acrobatics done by Sony people who used to lord over XBox owners that their online was free until Plus was unannounced as mandatory for PS4 online?  It's more deja vu than entertainment, but some people are easily amused I guess.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Sometimes I swear I fall asleep, then wake up in the middle of the night and post as Volterra_90  

I just dropped my PS+ sub for the same reason!

I am going to switch to a month by month basis myself. I was going to do month by month basis here as well but twenty bucks. Honestly of the three I have zero temptations on the games offered on the blue brand. Green brand is the most appealing but I ain't by that console. 

Agreed. For me, PS4 has a better library than Xbox One, but its offerings ons PS+ are paltry. Xbox, meanwhile, has an inferior library but a greatly superior games subscription package.

Nintendo looks to be somewhere in between. You won't be able to keep the games in perpetuity, but the games line-up should be much better than that of PS+.

The price is very good! I'm curious to know how well the online play with be for those classic titles! I wanna play Dr. Mario vs VGChartz-ers!

Edit: I also can't wait for the Virtual Console on the Switch... all those sweet retro titles on-the-go... count me in!

Signature goes here!

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Acevil said:

I am going to switch to a month by month basis myself. I was going to do month by month basis here as well but twenty bucks. Honestly of the three I have zero temptations on the games offered on the blue brand. Green brand is the most appealing but I ain't by that console. 

Agreed. For me, PS4 has a better library than Xbox One, but its offerings ons PS+ are paltry. Xbox, meanwhile, has an inferior library but a greatly superior games subscription package.

Nintendo looks to be somewhere in between. You won't be able to keep the games in perpetuity, but the games line-up should be much better than that of PS+.

Yep, MS deals are way better than PS+ ones, for sure. Though I prefer PS4 exclusives, the fact that both subscriptions cost the same is weird. MS has better value, by miles. I'd probably pay the XOne subscripition, but PS+ is awfully bad. 

And do we have confirmation that Switch games are limited? It seems like they could have change their minds and now you got them forever.

I don't think i'll take my switch online. Already have plus and only used my WiiU online once

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Yep, MS deals are way better than PS+ ones, for sure. Though I prefer PS4 exclusives, the fact that both subscriptions cost the same is weird. MS has better value, by miles. I'd probably pay the XOne subscripition, but PS+ is awfully bad. 

And do we have confirmation that Switch games are limited? It seems like they could have change their minds and now you got them forever.

It sounds like you need an active subscription to play the classic games. Maybe subscribers will get discounts if they want to keep the games? Kind of like the new Xbox Game Pass?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Volterra_90 said:

It sounds like you need an active subscription to play the classic games. Maybe subscribers will get discounts if they want to keep the games? Kind of like the new Xbox Game Pass?

That would be a good idea. I think that XBox pass is really sweet, so something similar would work for me. I'm also interested in the app. If it works similarly to a Nintendo social media app, to create online lobbies and talk to people I'd love it. I guess we'll have confirmation on the E3 though.

Darwinianevolution said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Stop being annoying, everyone has already shit enough about the online situation but the fact that is at least really cheap is good news no matter how you put it, a few forum dwellers crying ain't going to change Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft plans about online subscriptions so you making a drama about it is useless.

How long it's going to take for PC games to start paying for subscription, then? Firts there was XBOX live and noone complained, then the PS4 started charging for a service that used to be free, and nobody complained, and when Nintendo does it too, most of the reactions are close to "meh" rather than an actual response. If companies see they can charge for services that once were free, what's to stop them from charging for their online on PC too? A 5-10$/year to play CoD or BF would make them lots of mad cash, and there seems to be no kind of backlash against it, so why not?

There's a few problems with this. The PC space isn't a monolith so if a company like EA starts charging for paid online then they would face competition from dozens of other companies. Companies already get tons of money from microtransactions like lootboxes and trading cards, which are relatively not intrusive but have high returns. The PC community has some relatively influential spokespeople like TB who would kick up an apocalyptical level of shitstorm, companies like EA and Activision are not very well liked anyways. There would be nothing to gain by them soiling their reputation further.

Not too bad. Just bring the price up to $60 and I'm sold.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
Not too bad. Just bring the price up to $60 and I'm sold.

3 times more the cost, 3 times more the quality of service