By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Pokemon Company reports 2600% profit rise YoY (Pokemon GO, SuMo)

Is making so many mobile games a good move?

yes 22 46.81%

no,itll ruin the brand 7 14.89%

see results 18 38.30%

Total:47

The Pokémon Company had a very good year in 2016. Following the release of Niantic’s Pokémon Go and Game Freak’s Pokémon Sun and Moon, the company’s net profit soared to $143.3 million — nearly 26 times the profit it made the previous year, according to Katan Games, Inc. CEO and analyst Serkan Toto.

In a breakdown on his site, Toto recounts profits for the previous five years. (Fiscal years close at the end of February.) The 2015 fiscal year drew in only $5.6 million. Of the last five fiscal years, the highest profits came in 2014, where the company reported $18.4 million in profits.

The Pokémon Company is
 in charge of the overall brand, while companies like Game Freak or Niantic may develop specific games. Niantic published Pokémon Go, while Nintendo frequently distributes other Pokémon games. Over the last five years, the series’s catalog includes the launch of Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. “Sure, Sun and Moon was selling even better than those titles last fiscal,” Toto says, “but the games were not that huge.”Speaking to The Verge via email, Toto points to Pokémon Go as the “key factor” for the sharp rise. “It's widely known that if a developer lands a big hit on mobile, the profitability is much higher than for other platforms,” Toto says. “Some publicly traded mobile-game makers in Japan, for example, regularly boast operating profit margins of 40 percent and higher.”

The company’s net profit places it higher than many other game studio in Japan, he added, “except for the few lucky mobile-app makers on the very top of the pyramid.”

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/1/15724086/the-pokemon-company-profits-pokemon-go-sun-and-moon

Additionally they made revenue of around 3.3 billion $ , No wonder theyre pushing out so many mobile games.

Hope this means the profits are used for an amazing switch title :p

Around the Network

It was an excellent move to bring over titles to mobile and those titles in return help solidify Nintendo brand name again.

Good. Good. This franchise alone is a gold mine.

As for the poll, I dont mind them doing shitty mobile games if that funds their console AAA games. Just like I dont mind Disney doing shitty Pirates of the Caribbean films if that funds their Star Wars and Marvel films.

Jpcc86 said:
Good. Good. This franchise alone is a gold mine.

As for the poll, I dont mind them doing shitty mobile games if that funds their console AAA games. Just like I dont mind Disney doing shitty Pirates of the Caribbean films if that funds their Star Wars and Marvel films.

I think the same too, if these funds are used to make an amazing mainline title , I don't mind mobile (Magikarp jump is awesome IMO) ,SuMO already felt so fresh, hope the next games take it to another level.

That number is simply monstruous.This goes to show that Nintendo strategy with mobile is working.Yes, yes, most of the profits come from the mobile game, but Sun and Moon sold much better than it was expected, as it was shown(at that also boosted the other parts of the company, like the trading cards, and so on)

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

As long as they continue making good mainline games I'm all for mobile.

AnmolRed said:

Additionally they made revenue of around 3.3 billion $

That's great, I remember it being only 1.5 billion a few years ago.

Flilix said:
AnmolRed said:

Additionally they made revenue of around 3.3 billion $

That's great, I remember it being only 1.5 billion a few years ago.

It was 2.1 billion$ last year iirc

I have very little respect for The Pokémon Company. They have the funds to create something truly magical and ambitious like a proper RPG (similar to Nino Kuni) on a home console or an MMO, yet they keep making the same games over and over again. I bought a 3ds and Pokemon Y when it came out and to this day I regret it. Such as shame.

I still play Pokemon Go, but I'm well aware how bad it is. It's one of the few companies that don't deserve their success (imho). Well aware that others are happy with what they are producing, so I'm not saying they should change, just that I wish they would.

Nautilus said:
That number is simply monstruous.This goes to show that Nintendo strategy with mobile is working.Yes, yes, most of the profits come from the mobile game, but Sun and Moon sold much better than it was expected, as it was shown(at that also boosted the other parts of the company, like the trading cards, and so on)

Actually I'm guessing most of the profits are coming from merch. This shows the strength of the brand more than the monetary success of any single game.