By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Finacial Times: Nintendo to produce 18M Switch units in FY18

Pyro as Bill said:
Kerotan said:

Why HH only? It would be expensive to prove a connection from it to the TV. 

A Switch that can't Switch. You also lose portable local multiplayer. I don't see it happening. Smaller model maybe but not HH only. 

Exactly.  I can see a smaller cheaper revision sold without the dock but with a connection to the TV still there.  The dock can be an extra optional purchase. 

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
spemanig said:

It obviously would have sold less, Zelda is a massive killer app, but it still would have sold a lot without it. Like you said, the concept and execution was there. Zelda was just the gateway, but it could have been a much smaller franchise like F-Zero or something, and it would have still done exceptionally at launch. Same with the PS4. At launch, there weren't a lot of worthwhile games, but people wanted PS4's, so they just dealt with it. Same with the 360.

Most people at launch didn't buy the Switch because they wanted to play Zelda. They wanted to play on the Switch, and got to play Zelda because of it. IMO, if you're buying the Switch in the first 6 months, you just want a Switch, and are using whatever game you get as an excuse to get one. It's not exactly bursting with software yet.

Depends on what you consider a lot.If it didnt have a game of the same (or close) caliber like BOTW, it would still have sold well, but I dont think it would have reached Nintendo sales expectations.

And your comparison with the PS4 is wrong.While the hardware itself was desirable, it compensated the lack of a high quality game or games with sheer quantity.Switch didnt had this, but it wasnt a problem because it had that one extremely high quality game.And people bought the Switch because it was a desirable product AND it had a desirable game.A gaming device sells based on its software.If it didnt have games worth buying for, it wouldnt have sold this well.The same can be said with the hardware.If it has a horrible design behind it, people will be hesitant to buy it.See Wii U as a clear example of it.In the end, it had excellent games, but since the hardware itself was faulty, it didnt do well.For the software side, look at the 3DS.The 3DS was( at the very least at the time) a compelling piece of hardware, but since it launched with shitty software, it sales only picked up when compelling software appeared(3D Land and Mario Kart 7, if Im not mistaken).

Its not a either this or that scenario.The videogame industry, in this regard, is very different from everything else.You cant have a 0 on one side(hardware) and a 10 on the other side(software) or vice versa.One side can be stronger than the other, but ultimetely you need to have a balance of both, even though the software side is more important in the end.And yes, people mostly bought(at least early on) because of Zelda.Just look at the insane attach rate for BOTW on Switch in march for proof.If people just wanted the hardware that wouldnt happen.You are subestimmating the appeal that BOTW had and has.

No, I think it still would have surpassed Nintendo's expectations, just not by as much.

My comparison isn't wrong. I'm 100% sure that if the PS4 launched with only 5-10 games like the Switch, it would have sold just as well. People weren't buying the PS4 at launch to buy new games, because new games weren't there. At least not ones that couldn't already be played on the PS3. People bought it because PS4 was a major leap in console tech, and people wanted to have it first.

No one's arguing that Zelda isn't a desirable game or that it didn't help, it's just doesn't make sense to think that Zelda was the Switch's saving grace. It wasn't. The Switch was very desirable tech on it's own. I'm not saying it would have sold with no games, but it definitely didn't need a game as prestigious as Zelda to sell exeptionally. Zelda was merely something to play on new hardware. A big something, but not the reason to buy it. The big launch exclusive on PS4 was Killzone. Switch could have had anything on that level of popularity, and it would have still sold exceptionally. Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero, Star Fox, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong. Pretty much any B-tier nintendo franchise would have done, as long as it wasn't a side scroller or top down.

The attach rate is literally just because it is clearly the only high calibar, masinstream game on the system. That's not proof that people bought the Switch for Zelda. It's just proof that Zelda was largly the only worthwhile game to get at launch.

vivster said:
8 million of those probably in March 2018 to keep the shortages running.

No need for that, the shortages will continue even if this shipment is spread out well. It only leaves about six million for each major territory. Even the 3DS was over 17 million shipped by the end of its first fiscal year.

the_dengle said:
vivster said:
8 million of those probably in March 2018 to keep the shortages running.

No need for that, the shortages will continue even if this shipment is spread out well. It only leaves about six million for each major territory. Even the 3DS was over 17 million shipped by the end of its first fiscal year.

But this is Nintendo, where all shortages are not short enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
Kerotan said:

I see no reason why the Switch generation can't be nice and long.  In 5 years the Switch power will still be relevant for a handheld. 

Not when Vita 2 comes along with all its ultraflops!

Vita is already an ultraflop.

OT: Good. Guess will see if Nintendo revisits their forecast next quarter.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Cubedramirez said:

. Nintendo could simply release super Mario 3D land, Mario Marker, Bayonetta 1/2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Smash Brothers, Super Mario Bro Wii U (with all the DLC) and each of those would sell at the very least 2-3 million units without much effort.

While they rerelease those titles they can sit back, polish games that were developed direct for the switch and ride the second and third wave of it's life on easy Street while still release games that everyone considers system sellers.

Bingo - Wii U's failure is the best thing that happen to Switch. Just like Sony could cancel PS3 version of TLoU and push it as PS4 launch title.

KingofTrolls said:
Cubedramirez said:

. Nintendo could simply release super Mario 3D land, Mario Marker, Bayonetta 1/2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Smash Brothers, Super Mario Bro Wii U (with all the DLC) and each of those would sell at the very least 2-3 million units without much effort.

While they rerelease those titles they can sit back, polish games that were developed direct for the switch and ride the second and third wave of it's life on easy Street while still release games that everyone considers system sellers.

Bingo - Wii U's failure is the best thing that happen to Switch. Just like Sony could cancel PS3 version of TLoU and push it as PS4 launch title.

But Sony would then miss out on potential double-dippers.

KLAMarine said:

But Sony would then miss out on potential double-dippers.

Of course. I mean, it was bad for Ninny, the Wii U fall, but if we talk only about Switch, its like a huge handicap.

I hope everyone who buys the Switch gets screwed on by Nintendo just like they screwed Wii U owners. I spent hard-earned money on my Wii U to earn the privilege of playing Nintendo games released on that console, they should have respected my purchase instead of screwing their customers to earn more money, and destroy their reputation and their legacy and turn into a bad company.

^
Someone's bitter.