By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed so... is Zelda BOTW GOTY?

is Zelda BOTW GOTY?

Yes 350 69.86%

No 126 25.15%

Super Mario Odyssey is GOTY 25 4.99%

Total:501

RDR2 could have launched this year, yet ZELDA would have become GOTY.

RDR2 launch is irrelevant for ZELDA´s GOTY award.

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
mZuzek said:

Oh but everyone noticed/cared about how much they changed the formula. That's the reason it got praised as much as it did.

I'll be honest I didn't know how stale the formula truly was, and it took me some time to fully embrace Breath of the Wild, but now going back to play the older games - even Skyward Sword, which used to be my favorite - just feels so awful. They're just... worse.

Then again you like collectathon platformers, so I assume a massive departure from the formula isn't something that'll entice you.

I generally prefer the more focused-type ones like the 3D Mario games, Psychonauts, etc, but nowadays I'll take what I can get lol. You're on point about the second part though, I never asked for a Zelda game that's completely different from the ones I liked, nor do I care about survival elements like cooking/weather/etc that for me, personally, just bloats the game. I just wanted to cut grass and find rupees and hearts lying around and do cool dungeons and stuff. I wouldn't be so salty about it if there were other franchises that I could go to, but the 3D Zelda formula was pretty much exclusive to those games.

Thinking about it, 3D mario is pretty unique in its genre, as well. Almost all other 3D platformers are colectathons. 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

It's def possible, but there is still Horizon, Persona 5, and perhaps even Mario has a chance. It just means one less competitor, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Zelda by far. Even if Red Dead 2 came out.

Jpcc86 said:
I have zero doubts in my mind BOTW will win GOTY even if Red Dead Redemption 2 came out this year simply by the popularity and acceptance it had. Not saying the game doesnt have the quality to justify it - cause it obviously does. Personally, its not my GOTY, but it will most certainly will be GOTY.

Its really not that popular, Zelda has always been a more niche franchise.  But it probably wil be GOTY anyway.

Around the Network

Nier automata. :P

Tbh the topic is silly. Several games are gonna win GOTY awards.

Do you have a particular one in mind?

Red Dead Redemption 2 was never going to get GOTY over Zelda: BOTW. 

Not for me personally I enjoyed Nier and Persona 5 more but its deff up there, mario could make a dent and we don't know which games are coming this year.

But I am quite possitive websites will vote Zelda as GOTY since its one of the highest scoring games critically ever. Damn I am going to miss not being able to play RDR2 on my scorpio :(, next year!

Twitter @CyberMalistix

contestgamer said:
Jpcc86 said:
I have zero doubts in my mind BOTW will win GOTY even if Red Dead Redemption 2 came out this year simply by the popularity and acceptance it had. Not saying the game doesnt have the quality to justify it - cause it obviously does. Personally, its not my GOTY, but it will most certainly will be GOTY.

Its really not that popular, Zelda has always been a more niche franchise.  But it probably wil be GOTY anyway.

Every mainline Zelda has sold over 3 million, all but two have sold over 4 million, and Breath of the Wild is the fastest selling entry ever with already over 3.2 million sold across both Wii U and Switch in less than 3 months.  Oh and every remaster has sold millions too.  And nearly every spinoff has sold millions.  And the IP has over 80 million sales under its belt.  But yeah, sure, it's niche. 

I wonder how it will do that when it's not even in the top 3 Nintendo games of the year.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.