By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Activision Should Port The Older Call Of Duty Games To Switch

Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Meh, idk how many people would buy old cod games on the switch. If you are a cod fan, most likely, you have already played them and if you aren't, I doubt it being on the switch will change that. Specially since there are yearly releases of cod which would probably be exclusive to ps4/x1/pc. I'd rather have them remaster it but either ways, activation would probably price it at full price compared to like the discounted prices on every other platform.

What I am saying is, port something else.

People are buying 20 year old Neo Geo ROM dumps on Switch. 

They'd buy COD, and no don't port something else. Port the big IP, the ones people have an attachment to, don't port one of your lame new games that no one gives a shit about. 

First company that release a good FPS on Switch is going to make a good amount of money IMO. 

And how much do these games sell individually?

And new games that no one gives a shit about? Do you even know how much overwatch, destiny and etc sells? wtf

And I doubt porting a game that has already been played and is discounted on every other platform to the switch would sell that much...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Soundwave said:

People are buying 20 year old Neo Geo ROM dumps on Switch. 

They'd buy COD, and no don't port something else. Port the big IP, the ones people have an attachment to, don't port one of your lame new games that no one gives a shit about. 

First company that release a good FPS on Switch is going to make a good amount of money IMO. 

And new games that no one gives a shit about? Do you even know how much overwatch, destiny and etc sells? wtf

And I doubt porting a game that has already been played and is discounted on every other platform to the switch would sell that much...

If you can get Destiny running on the system great, but I'm talking about things like Watch Dogs. No one wants that really. Bring over an IP people know and you'll do well on Switch. 

The portability of the Switch is what creates incentive to buy, you can't play Black Ops II on the road, but I'd bet there are a fair number of people that love that game that would buy on Switch if available. 

It's a better way of going about things than the current Nintendo pattern from third parties where they sit there with their thumb up their ass waiting for the system to do well and then are late and have missed their window to cash in on game releases because they didn't have anything ready. 

Well I mean I'm pretty sure these games could be ported quick. I think Skyrim is going to also do better than people think. People want content for this device. Activision/Ubi Soft misjudged the launch window by writing off the system as another shovelware/casual machine, both Just Dance and Skylanders have flopped. If they had a COD game in the launch window for this reasonably priced, IMO they could have 500k-1 million in sales without much fuss either. It'd easily be the third best selling game behind Zelda and Mario Kart. 

twintail said:
Soundwave said:

I think this would be an easy way to make a few bucks for Activision. Black Ops II (the game from 2012!) just charted on the NPD, why not put a game like that on Switch. It would fill the shooter void on the system and they could add in motion aiming like Splatoon and have split screen on one Switch or LAN style multi.

Maybe because they dont think this busy work is going to result in them seeing much money.

and tbqh, with Splatoon blowing up the way it did, and Splatoon 2 having the sort of interest that it has, Activision probably dont see any tangible market opening up for them.

But yeah, I htink they could at least experiment. MW2 remaster perhaps. 

I think both Ubi Soft and Activision both badly misjudged the Switch in general. 

They thought it would be another casualware/shovelware/kids machine, hence only Just Dance and Skylanders for the launch window, and the irony there is these two games are the worst selling games on the platform from the data we're getting even below really niche stuff. 

Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

If you can get Destiny running on the system great, but I'm talking about things like Watch Dogs. No one wants that really. Bring over an IP people know and you'll do well on Switch. 

The portability of the Switch is what creates incentive to buy, you can't play Black Ops II on the road, but I'd bet there are a fair number of people that love that game that would buy on Switch if available. 

It's a better way of going about things than the current Nintendo pattern from third parties where they sit there with their thumb up their ass waiting for the system to do well and then are late and have missed their window to cash in on game releases because they didn't have anything ready. 

Well I mean I'm pretty sure these games could be ported quick. I think Skyrim is going to also do better than people think. 

WatchDogs is ubisoft and that also sells a lot.

Yes but ports of old games that people have already played to death? This needs to sell at least 500k-1million if not more for activision to make sense I'd say. The company doesn't want small numbers, even with ports.

Skyrim is taking a while to port though, do we even have a release date yet?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Soundwave said:

Well I mean I'm pretty sure these games could be ported quick. I think Skyrim is going to also do better than people think. 

Yes but ports of old games that people have already played to death? This needs to sell at least 500k-1million if not more for activision to make sense I'd say. The company doesn't want small numbers, even with ports.

Older games that people love + Switch's portability = $$$$ for a lot of developers that are smart enough to figure this out. 

Watch, I think Ultra Street Fighter II, a game everyone has played 10039338383883 times is going to do well on Switch relative to expectations. 

The ability to play that game anywhere and pop off a Joycon and play with a buddy for a few laughs is something people are underestimating. 

In fact I will say that these games being games that everyone knows how to play already is part of the appeal. If I have a game I'm playing in table top mode with a friend, I don't want to spend 2 hours getting them up to speed on how to play the game. But game's they already know how to play? Mario Kart? FIFA? COD? Street Fighter II? Awwww hell yes, bring that shit on. "Remember when we spent 5 hours a day playing this back in college?". Boom. There's your appeal right there. That will work on Switch. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Older games that people love + Switch's portability = $$$$ for a lot of developers that are smart enough to figure this out. 

Watch, I think Ultra Street Fighter II, a game everyone has played 10039338383883 times is going to do well on Switch relative to expectations. 

The ability to play that game anywhere and pop off a Joycon and play with a buddy for a few laughs is something people are underestimating. 

We will see how much it sells. Really you should have made this thread after that came out. Would have given us a better idea as to how old games would sell. Although USFII is more of a remake/remaster than a direct port...

Not sure it'd make much sense unless it was to prepare the userbase for a brand-new game coming later. I don't think the Switch userbase is very interested in Call of Duty, and Switch's online service isn't exactly appealing right now. Of course porting them should be pretty cheap, so it wouldn't be that stupid either, but I just don't think Activision sees the point in putting the effort there right now. The same workforce could probably be used to develop something more profitable and even if not, the money to be made from really old ports would probably be pretty neglible on Activision's scale.

Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

We will see how much it sells. Really you should have made this thread after that came out. Would have given us a better idea as to how old games would sell. Although USFII is more of a remake/remaster than a direct port... Which is something I was suggesting they do instead.

Zkuq said:
Not sure it'd make much sense unless it was to prepare the userbase for a brand-new game coming later. I don't think the Switch userbase is very interested in Call of Duty, and Switch's online service isn't exactly appealing right now. Of course porting them should be pretty cheap, so it wouldn't be that stupid either, but I just don't think Activision sees the point in putting the effort there right now. The same workforce could probably be used to develop something more profitable and even if not, the money to be made from really old ports would probably be pretty neglible on Activision's scale.

Switch's buyer base will surprise people. 

Even for Nintendo fans in the past a big reason why they "only bought Nintendo games" is because they had a PS/XB for their multiplats. 

Switch is different though, because it allows those games to be played on the road with friends. That's a game changer. So now, a NBA 2K game I normally would buy on the Playstation ... I'm buying it on Switch this year, first time I've ever bought that series on a Nintendo system. I think you will see a lot of this. 

On top of that, I think Switch has crossover appeal to Playstation/XBox owners and a chunk of the Switch userbase is going to be a very harcore portion of that base.

We are already seeing signs of this ... normal Nintendo IP staples like Skylanders and Just Dance as I pointed out are selling like shit, whereas IP like Bomberman and NBA Playgrounds and Disgea and Fast RMX are doing well. 

I'd buy the MW remaster