By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My first time seeing a Switch in public was at the movie theaters.

I went to go see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (fantastic movie btw) with one of my friends like a week and a half ago and he pointed out to me that someone in one of the lower rows of seats was playing a Nintendo Switch so I looked down and was like "oh shit". I hadn't seen a Switch in public (or in person for that matter, but mainly because I haven't been looking for any yet) at all until that moment. I couldn't tell from where I was sitting but I think the person was playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. 

I just felt like this was interesting since it's pretty amazing to know that if the Switch can continue its momentum it could eventually be a completly common thing to just see people playing a Switch in any location if it becomes that mainstream. Being able to play a full blown console game while waiting for a movie to start? That's fucking cool. 

All Nintendo has to do is just keep up the momentum and the Switch could be truly game changing in the industry imo. 

Around the Network

Good that there is no other device currently on the market that's portable and able to provide entertainment for a few minutes. Nintendo basically has it made for them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Handhelds seem to be effectively extinct in public around where i live. I think the last time i saw one was a 2DS shortly after it released, and i only remember that because it was so unusual. Never seen a Vita at all :p

vivster said:
Good that there is no other device currently on the market that's portable and able to provide entertainment for a few minutes. Nintendo basically has it made for them.

I can't quite tell if this is meant to be sarcastic, but yeah sure there's phones and other mobiles and such right now obviously but they don't offer the same type of full blown beautiful graphics console quality games that the Switch can do currently, or not any phone games that I know of at least.  

vivster said:

The Switch will eventually be the only dedicated gaming handheld on the market, their's still definitely a big market for that type of device and the games it offers. Being the only gaming handheld, also a home console and having both handheld and home console games and IPs definitely puts the Switch in the perfect situation sales wise it can be in today.

Around the Network

The last time I saw a human with a handheld (outside his house or car) was 10 years ago in university when someone had a PSP with him.

I guess I could have seen some in a train or something but I don't use that to get somewhere. 

Your scenario doesn't seem all that impressive.

Talk to me when you see multiple Switch owners at the movie theatre, and more for a crowd that maybe watches something different, like Gifted (drama) lol xD

Zekkyou said:
Handhelds seem to be effectively extinct in public around where i live. I think the last time i saw one was a 2DS shortly after it released, and i only remember that because it was so unusual. Never seen a Vita at all :p

I feel like i've hardly ever seen a person with a handheld in public before. I didn't see a single Vita being used in public ever just like you, lol. Sort of why it took me by surprise to see a Switch in public, I know the thing is insanely popular right now, but i've just hardly ever seen any people using handhelds in public in general so it was just an "oh" moment for me to see one. 

V-r0cK said:

Talk to me when you see multiple Switch owners at the movie theatre, and more for a crowd that maybe watches something different, like Gifted (drama) lol xD

True lol, not impressive at all, though I never claimed it to be. :p

What you said though is what makes me find the concept of the Switch so interesting, i've never seen a single thing like that for any handheld type of thing in public, not even the 3DS lol! But if it becomes mainstream/popular enough it could just be common to walk into a place and see someone playing a Switch or groups of people playing it like that. I know a lot of people do that with 3DS's and such but i've personally never seen that in public only on pics online. 

FloatingWaffles said:
V-r0cK said:

True lol, not impressive at all, though I never claimed it to be. :p

What you said though is what makes me find the concept of the Switch so interesting, i've never seen a single thing like that for any handheld type of thing in public, not even the 3DS lol! But if it becomes mainstream/popular enough it could just be common to walk into a place and see someone playing a Switch or groups of people playing it like that. I know a lot of people do that with 3DS's and such but i've personally never seen that in public only on pics online. 

lol I'm just teasing, but I've seen multiple occassions before where i'd see many brought their DS and 3DS over the years.  I'm sure if Nintendo picks up more sales we'll see more people bringing out around like that :)

I still bring my PSP Go to theatres xD