By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disgaea 5: Complete Edition - Switch vs PS4 - Visual & Load Time Comparison

Ganoncrotch said:

I've never had the (dis) Pleasure, was it really over 2 minutes for loading? I'm trying to think back what is the worst games ever and still think it was a burnout on the psp I played where I was getting on a bus and started the game, and had gotten off at the other side of the city without yet getting into a race in it.

I remember playing KOF in a Neogeo CD. The damn thing would take 2 to 5 minutes between EACH match of an arcade run. You spent more time looking at a huge loading bar (and I mean huge, it almost crossed the whole screen) than playing. 

It was also pretty sensitive. It was installed inside an arcade cabinet, with the gamepad wires re-routed to the arcade controls (they had SNES and other consoles hooked up in a similar way). Any slightly more aggressive tap on arcade buttons before it started loading and it would just freeze.

So, it was a bad console. The OG Neogeo was perfect, but SNK never managed to release another great console. At least their games are still pretty good.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
forget resolution, forget framerates, THIS gen is all about 'load times' ...

I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 version outdoes Switch on framerate and resolution...

But dat portability doe.

KLAMarine said:
GribbleGrunger said:
forget resolution, forget framerates, THIS gen is all about 'load times' ...

I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 version outdoes Switch on framerate and resolution...

But dat portability doe.

The frame-rate might wiggle a bit when there are dozens of characters on screen, but i'd be surprised if there are any difference outside of that. The Switch is more than capable of running something like Disagaea 5, and NIS usually optimise about as far as is necessary.

Portability is a big plus for the Switch version though, yeah. Disgaea is perfect for people that like gaming on the go.

Zekkyou said:
KLAMarine said:

But dat portability doe.

The frame-rate might wiggle a bit when there are dozens of characters on screen, but i'd be surprised if there are any difference outside of that. The Switch is more than capable of running something like Disagaea 5, and NIS usually optimise about as far as is necessary.

Portability is a big plus for the Switch version though, yeah. Disgaea is perfect for people that like gaming on the go.

Played the hell out of the first Disgaea on the DS: clocked in 644 hours on it.

torok said:
Mar1217 said:
The cartridge's effect-o

This isn't related to cartridges. The kind of cartridge that avoided loading times was the one on pre-N64 consoles. It was mapped as part of the main memory and was connected to a fast bus. The modern cartridges are more like SD cards, so loading is necessary.

DF already benchmarked the Switch storage, the cartridges are slower than the internal flash memory or class 10 micro SDs: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-best-microsd-cards-for-switch-loading-time-comparison

They are faster than BRs, but PS4 stores the game in the HDD, so its storage is considerably faster than what is available on the Switch. So the difference is on optimization or the higher quality (and size) of the assets in the PS4 version.

Doesn't the WiiU version of BoTW have a mandatory HDD install?

I don't think PS4 and PS4 Pro's HDDs are faster than Switch's internal memory. Switch's internal has a max of 400MB/s.  Upgraded models can have 1200MB/s. It's also possible that publishers choose both the size and speed of the cartridges depending on need.

Switch's internal memory (PDF download, part:THGBMHG8C2LBAIL): https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/info/docget.jsp?did=12587

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

They look very similar. Of course it would be surprising if they didn't, considering it doesn't look like it needs a lot of processing power. Instead, the game relies more on style.

The Asagi post game level would absolutely crash the Vita.  There are more than 100 Asagi's on the map, so the stuttering the Vita would do on item world runs in D4 would look like smooth butter in comparison.

Why hate systems that bring you great games?

PSN: Aceburg0413

XBOX Live: Sheep of Doom13

Nintendo:  SheepofDoom13

3DS FC:  3222 - 5562 - 9867

The differences seem more or less in line with porting a game.

Faster load times by a little bit: the difference between loading 720 optimized assets and 1080p optimized assets.

Bolder text on switch: easier legibility on the handhelds screen, text can be smaller/thinner on PS4 because the end user is most likely going to be using a much larger screen, thus readability is a non-issue.

Color variation: Obviously a non issue too since you can achieve the same with simple adjustment of your TV on either console if you prefer one over the other, personally I find the direct feed for the switch to be a little washed out but it's likely optimized for the LCD panel on the actual device and not so much hdmi output anyway.

And.. that's really all there is to say?, gameplay looks identical everywhere else and that's the important bit.

What the hell man when did I got and get myself all optimistic and positive about shit?

Pyro as Bill said:

Doesn't the WiiU version of BoTW have a mandatory HDD install?

I don't think PS4 and PS4 Pro's HDDs are faster than Switch's internal memory. Switch's internal has a max of 400MB/s.  Upgraded models can have 1200MB/s. It's also possible that publishers choose both the size and speed of the cartridges depending on need.

Switch's internal memory (PDF download, part:THGBMHG8C2LBAIL): https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/info/docget.jsp?did=12587

I'm not sure. The problem with the theorical limits is that they are rare in real situations. From the DF benchmark, it looks like the internal memory is a bit faster than a UHS-2 SD card and most likely tied to the HDD on the PS4.

As for HDDs, a 5400 rpm one is normally at 100 MB/s (read) or more, while a good UHS card usually reads at 90. We have cards that can reach higher speeds and maybe exceed the PS4 default drive. Anyway, if it is at least close, Switch could load faster since the assets are smaller.

KLAMarine said:
Zekkyou said:

Played the hell out of the first Disgaea on the DS: clocked in 644 hours on it.

Played Afternoon of Darkness (first disgaea) on the PSP for close to 50 hours with a ton of messing about, then on the Vita got it again and completed it with just a little bit of the side quest and item world stuff, probably in and around 100 hours on that too.

Was why I made the Disgaea 5 Switch port a day -25 purchase for me! Only felt a tiny bit bad going for the Jap Eshop rather than buying it in the pal region since I wonder would more people doing that effect possible localization down the line... but fuck it, next year me can worry about that.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive