By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Nintendo learned from Sony

Maybe or maybe they learned from their own mistakes? Maybe they learned from both?

Here's hoping Nintendo picks up Sony's good habits and none of their bad ones.

Around the Network

I think with Switch they learned from Wii U mistakes they maid, not from Sony.

RolStoppable said:
This is a case of blind admiration for Sony.

Nintendo had good marketing campaigns before the PS4 (remember "Wii would like to play"?), so it's not like Nintendo had to look at what Sony was doing.

Games-wise, Nintendo isn't really doing anything different than what they've done since forever. The one major difference is the timing of the releases. Compare what Nintendo is releasing in year 1 for Switch to what Sony released in year 1 for the PS4 and you should realize that Nintendo is not following Sony at all. All Nintendo is doing is proper execution of what they have had since a long time.

Lastly, it isn't hard to say whether Switch will be a success or failure. It was clear since the presentation on January 12th that Switch was going to be a hit. One only needed to properly analyze the system and its games, and the only reasonable conclusion was success.

Basically. I was waiting to read the part where the OP explained what Nintendo learn from Sony and never reached that part.

🤔

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Veknoid_Outcast said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Nintendo still haven't learned from Sony how to be innovative when it comes to third party developers.

I assume you mean AAA third party developers? I'm grateful Nintendo doesn't make concessions to those studios and publishers. The Switch couldn't exist in its current form factor if Nintendo beefed up the specs to secure demanding third-party software. Better to create a versatile piece of hardware that specializes in Nintendo's own games than create another PS4 or XOne. Sony and Microsoft rely on AAA third parties to move hardware; Nintendo doesn't.

Look at how well that worked out for the WiiU, and by the way Sony don't rely on third party, they support them. They have a bunch of first party studios.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
RolStoppable said:
This is a case of blind admiration for Sony.

Nintendo had good marketing campaigns before the PS4 (remember "Wii would like to play"?), so it's not like Nintendo had to look at what Sony was doing.

Games-wise, Nintendo isn't really doing anything different than what they've done since forever. The one major difference is the timing of the releases. Compare what Nintendo is releasing in year 1 for Switch to what Sony released in year 1 for the PS4 and you should realize that Nintendo is not following Sony at all. All Nintendo is doing is proper execution of what they have had since a long time.

Lastly, it isn't hard to say whether Switch will be a success or failure. It was clear since the presentation on January 12th that Switch was going to be a hit. One only needed to properly analyze the system and its games, and the only reasonable conclusion was success.

I've seen you post along these lines recently. Did you really see no potential impediments to success for the Switch during the reveal or as information about the online plans came out? There was, justified or not, significant backlash around this time. I never called it out as a certified bomb, but certainly had some skepticism. Enough to take a more moderate stance on it's chances. I certainly called it out on things I didn't like on a personal level, the voice chat solution as the prime example, but that's a different matter.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I assume you mean AAA third party developers? I'm grateful Nintendo doesn't make concessions to those studios and publishers. The Switch couldn't exist in its current form factor if Nintendo beefed up the specs to secure demanding third-party software. Better to create a versatile piece of hardware that specializes in Nintendo's own games than create another PS4 or XOne. Sony and Microsoft rely on AAA third parties to move hardware; Nintendo doesn't.

Look at how well that worked out for the WiiU, and by the way Sony don't rely on third party, they support them. They have a bunch of first party studios.

Actually, they do. Sony's first party games don't move hardware in the same magnitude that third parties do.

Imagine a Sony console with only Sony's first party games... ewww.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

deskpro2k3 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Look at how well it worked for GBA, DS, Wii, and 3DS. Look at GCN, a powerful system that supported plenty of AAA third-party content, and failed. 

Sony relies very much on third-party support. Look at the 50 best selling games on PS4. I believe 9 are published by Sony. The rest are from Ubisoft, Take-Two, EA, Activision, and Warner Bros. PlayStation as a brand would suffer greatly without AAA third-party support.

Because of the strength and selling potential of Nintendo's first-party games, the company is insulated from the capriciousness of third-parties, particularly AAA third-parties. Neither Sony nor Microsoft can claim that same self-sufficiency.

Anfebious said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Actually, they do. Sony's first party games don't move hardware in the same magnitude that third parties do.

Imagine a Sony console with only Sony's first party games... ewww.

Disgusting.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Look at how well it worked for GBA, DS, Wii, and 3DS. Look at GCN, a powerful system that supported plenty of AAA third-party content, and failed. 

Sony relies very much on third-party support. Look at the 50 best selling games on PS4. I believe 9 are published by Sony. The rest are from Ubisoft, Take-Two, EA, Activision, and Warner Bros. PlayStation as a brand would suffer greatly without AAA third-party support.

Because of the strength and selling potential of Nintendo's first-party games, the company is insulated from the capriciousness of third-parties, particularly AAA third-parties. Neither Sony nor Microsoft can claim that same self-sufficiency.

Indeed. That your success depend so much from another companies is nothing to be proud. What would happen if those other companies goes under or move on?

I disagree, i don't think they learned anything when it comes to games.

Until now the Switches lineup doesn't look like it will have a different methodology then the Wii-U.

What Nintendo is doing now is using their strengths very well, a launch Zelda, some innovation and the prospect of some handheld series are all working very well for the switch.