By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Boss Talks About A Netflix For Games, "Upping" First-Party Investment

Xbox Boss Talks About A Netflix For Games, "Upping" First-Party Investment

Spencer spoke about the success of the games-as-a-service model, where games like Destiny are supported over the long-term rather than being released as a title that's never updated or expanded. This in turn led to the subject of single-player, story-based games and how they don't necessarily lend themselves to that model, which could lead to a decline in how often we see them.

"I've looked at things like Netflix and HBO, where great content has been created because there's this subscription model. [Xbox first-party publishing GM] Shannon Loftis and I are thinking a lot about, well, could we put story-based games into the Xbox Game Pass business model because you have a subscription going? It would mean you wouldn't have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes."

Spencer has expressed a similar sentiment before, but Microsoft still has not announced any formal plans to release original games through Game Pass. The service's alpha ends tomorrow, with a full launch set to follow sometime this spring.

For the full article, please go to:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-talks-about-a-netflix-for-games-upping-f/1100-6449634/

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:

Spencer spoke about the success of the games-as-a-service model, where games like Destiny are supported over the long-term rather than being released as a title that's never updated or expanded. This in turn led to the subject of single-player, story-based games and how they don't necessarily lend themselves to that model, which could lead to a decline in how often we see them.

"I've looked at things like Netflix and HBO, where great content has been created because there's this subscription model. [Xbox first-party publishing GM] Shannon Loftis and I are thinking a lot about, well, could we put story-based games into the Xbox Game Pass business model because you have a subscription going? It would mean you wouldn't have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes."

Spencer has expressed a similar sentiment before, but Microsoft still has not announced any formal plans to release original games through Game Pass. The service's alpha ends tomorrow, with a full launch set to follow sometime this spring.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-talks-about-a-netflix-for-games-upping-f/1100-6449634/

Ugh...sounds horrible.

I'm always open, but my first thought is "yergh." I've enjoyed a few of the Telltale Games, especially Tales from the Borderlands, but the serial format tends to make me care less over time. I prefer to get it all in one lump, so that I can complete the story in a timely fashion, while my interest is still sparked. 

KLXVER said:
LivingMetal said:

Ugh...sounds horrible.

Very suspicious to me especially using a subscription as the basis to push an idea.  At least that what I'm gathering from it.

KLXVER said:
LivingMetal said:

Ugh...sounds horrible.

Yeah, truly terrible. Games as a service and episodic releases. Sounds like Spencer read my dream journal and decided to enact a business model based on my nightmares.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
KLXVER said:

Ugh...sounds horrible.

Very suspicious to me especially using a subscription as the basis to push an idea.  At least that what I'm gathering from it.

We also know how this will go. Episodes of a game will be delayed and you have to pay for extra months while you wait for them to release it. The only way to make sure you get the episodes on time is to finish the whole game first, but then what would be the point of the episodes?

KLXVER said:
LivingMetal said:

We also know how this will go. Episodes of a game will be delayed and you have to pay for extra months while you wait for them to release it. The only way to make sure you get the episodes on time is to finish the whole game first, but then what would be the point of the episodes?

$$$

LivingMetal said:
KLXVER said:

$$$

Indeed. Unless I get some of those $$$, then no thanks...

That's a cool idea. Could work just like shows on Netflix or TV. Watch them once a week when he episodes air or binge watch all at once after they're all out.

LudicrousSpeed said:
That's a cool idea. Could work just like shows on Netflix or TV. Watch them once a week when he episodes air or binge watch all at once after they're all out.

or you know...just play a finished game at your own pace...