By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Boss Talks About A Netflix For Games, "Upping" First-Party Investment

If this is the future of single-player releases on Xbox, I will never buy another Xbox product. This has been a monumentally disappointing generation to be an Xbox fan, and the future doesn't look bright.

I'd rather be playing Metroid Prime

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

"It would mean you wouldn't have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes."

But Netflix gives us all the eps for the season for majority of their shows all in the day one... So... wtf

I can see it now, lets cut up that game we where going to publish into enough chunks so we make more money.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

KLXVER said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
That's a cool idea. Could work just like shows on Netflix or TV. Watch them once a week when he episodes air or binge watch all at once after they're all out.

or you know...just play a finished game at your own pace...

Of course that's an option. So then don't subscribe to the Game Pass. I'm clearly talking about Game Pass users. 

Captain_Yuri said:

"It would mean you wouldn't have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes."

But Netflix gives us all the eps for the season for majority of their shows all in the day one... So... wtf

And no doubt the majority of games will do the same on Game Pass. But there are shows on Netflix that release one episode a week.

Once again, he's a remarkably close facsimile to a real, naturally born human. But this again shows the weakness of Spencer model pod-baby. There is no intuition. No "finger on the pulse". And as I've said, no belly-button. Awful, awful idea.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:

Once again, he's a remarkably close facsimile to a real, naturally born human. But this again shows the weakness of Spencer model pod-baby. There is no intuition. No "finger on the pulse". And as I've said, no belly-button. Awful, awful idea.

Spencer pod baby 😂😂😂

Around the Network

I think it's awesome. Go for it.

Is he not basically describing episodic games, where a game is distributed in several episodes, and users either buy the episodes separately and/or subscribe through a season pass or some other subscription system to receive the episodes. This is not really a new concept. However, it could work for certain games. While I prefer having the complete package right at release, I would not mind playing a smaller portion of the game that works well and is not broken and wait for them to complete and optimize the other parts (this model might be better for Ubisoft and EA, two publishers/developers that do not exactly have the best track record of releasing the most polished glitch-free experiences; MS's first party games are usually fine out of the box in my experience)

Let's offer a little more perspective, here.

Netflix is like $10 a month. For that amount, you gain access to everything Netflix has to offer. Netflix also has exclusive content. That content doesn't cost you a single penny more.

Xbox's subscription service is going to be about $10 a month. For that amount, you can download pretty much everything they have to offer. In addition to all of those full games, there may be games that only subscribers can play. Not streaming. Download. Still, only $10.

What's the problem, again? The "exclusive to subscribers" part? The episodic part? The price?

KLXVER said:
LivingMetal said:

Xbox Boss Talks About A Netflix For Games, "Upping" First-Party Investment

Spencer spoke about the success of the games-as-a-service model, where games like Destiny are supported over the long-term rather than being released as a title that's never updated or expanded. This in turn led to the subject of single-player, story-based games and how they don't necessarily lend themselves to that model, which could lead to a decline in how often we see them.

"I've looked at things like Netflix and HBO, where great content has been created because there's this subscription model. [Xbox first-party publishing GM] Shannon Loftis and I are thinking a lot about, well, could we put story-based games into the Xbox Game Pass business model because you have a subscription going? It would mean you wouldn't have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes."

Spencer has expressed a similar sentiment before, but Microsoft still has not announced any formal plans to release original games through Game Pass. The service's alpha ends tomorrow, with a full launch set to follow sometime this spring.

For the full article, please go to:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-talks-about-a-netflix-for-games-upping-f/1100-6449634/

Ugh...sounds horrible.

Very.  The only kind of service I would want is something like Now, allowing older games to be streamed to various platforms.  Or it would be fine if you want to make them downloadable instead.  Paying a sub for a every game to arrive in parts is horrible.  What if they feel the game isn't to their liking or that it isn't drawing as much attention as they think it should?  Are they going to cancel the game before you are done with it?  Or completely take it off the service.

It also seems like it could become an excuse to release a bunch of demos and half broken games with the premise it will be improved/finished later.  Basically a console that ONLY supports Steam's early access.

Turkish said:
"Spencer spoke about the success of the games-as-a-service model, where games like Destiny are supported over the long-term rather than being released as a title that's never updated or expanded"

Oh god no, I'm very scared what they are getting inspired by. I wish they just looked at Sony and said "our competitors are making big bucks with singleplayer games, we should try it too!" but nope.

That's why I want them to go 3rd party or just stick to making PC games, soon.  And if the Scorpio falls flat on its face, there's a good chance they do.  Lately, they just keep introducing horrible ideas to gaming that are completely obvious in their nature, to suck as much dough out of consumers as possible.  And Xbox fans just eat it up.  And they wonder why Xbox is in the spot it's in.