By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo shared some statistics

the_dengle said:
pokoko said:

The hell are you talking about?  I never said that.  That's dishonest and I expected better of you.  The idea that cumulative totals have to match up perfectly each year and in each region makes no sense.

Then you need not have entered this discussion by making a counterpoint. V

the_dengle said:

That doesn't make much sense. Don't you think most people who bought a Wii U also bought a 3DS? If Nintendo had skipped straight to the Switch concept after the Wii/DS generation, would you measure its sales against the combined 250 million of the DS + Wii?

The intended benefit of combining home and portable console markets is not to sell twice as much hardware.

This discussion was literally about tracking Switch sales vs combined 3DS + Wii U and linked to a thread in which their weekly sales are compared.

By measuring it against the 3DS, I have established a higher bar for success for the Switch than Nintendo has. Take it up with them.

You are still talking about "growing their brand" and "expanding their userbase" as though this 3DS + Wii U equation has any relation to either of those things. Nintendo has multiple major mobile games and they're building a freaking theme park. They are growing their brand outside of the contracting console market. Do I have to explain again that Nintendo's "user base" last gen is not calculated by adding 3DS and Wii U hardware sales, as though each sale represents a unique customer? That's a disingenuous perspective, not my simple observation that 3DS + Wii U is literal nonsense. A cute comparison perhaps, but an utterly vapid one.

I never said they were and suggesting that I did would make you a liar, so I hope you don't do that.  What I said was that by merging markets they need to produce better numbers than either single product line alone and that the Wii U's numbers were so negligible that they fall within that cushion.  But I'm pretty damn sure you know what I was saying even if you pretend otherwise.  

The reasoning is pretty simple, really.  If you own both Pepsi and Coke and merged them into one product, you'd sure want them to sell MORE than either Pepsi or Coke sold ALONE.  You can rationalize that until the bar is as low as possible but it doesn't change anything.