By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This is what Xbox games look like on 'Project Scorpio,' - windowscentral.com

thismeintiel said:
Angelv577 said:
If this what Scorpio will be about then it will definitely be a hard sale on E3 as it is not easy to see a noticeable difference.

What you have to remember is that the Scorpio is going to be held back by the current HW, just as Pro is.  Games aren't being designed specifically for them.  Devs are not spending a ton of extra time and money on these mid-gen consoles.  They are using the same geometry, just rendering at a higher res and (sometimes) using slightly higher res textures and maybe a few extra effects.  We're not going to be seeing a big leap until next gen.    And if the Scorpio fails to sell well, which it will if they try to get $499 for it, most devs are probably just going to through a Pro port onto it, with maybe a slightly improved res and a couple higher FPS.

It's also not going to help Scorpio if they use screens like this to push the system, while Sony has a mid-gen console that is going to be, at most, $349 this holiday season.  If MS really is aiming for $499, that's already a $150 difference.  God help them if Sony actually does get out a $299 Pro Slim for the holidays.

You aren't wrong.

But it's also no different than the issue the PC has to deal with all-generation long. Being held back by consoles.

However... The PC typically does employ better Texturing, Lighting, Shadowing, HBAO+. Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, Resolutions, Framerates which does give it the edge in having an overall superior experience, Scorpio *should* be able to leverage all of that.
And Geometry gets a boost because Tessellation is actually an adjustable technique that can have it's factor and distance increased/decreased to match the hardwares capabilities.

If anyone thinks Scorpio is going to be a runaway sales success. It won't be. The Xbox One S will appeal to more people because it's cheaper, I'll end up with a Scorpio myself due to the improvements I'll get out of my Xbox 360 and Xbox One games collection.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
confirmed: scorpio doomed. The number of people who are gonna care about a slightly clearer picture for buying a whole new system are likely not a lot.

Funny really. Back when PS4 and XB1 launched almost side eachother. All i remember reading was how much those little differences mattered. Now the shoe is on the other foot and all of a sudden those little differences dont matter.

Trust me on this. Native 4k looks alot better in motion especially considering the Scorpio has alot of head room to play with. So expect added effects and details  (If Devs use it)

Wait till E3 when they start announcing games for it and offering the superior experience.

Azzanation said:
Slownenberg said:
confirmed: scorpio doomed. The number of people who are gonna care about a slightly clearer picture for buying a whole new system are likely not a lot.

Funny really. Back when PS4 and XB1 launched almost side eachother. All i remember reading was how much those little differences mattered. Now the shoe is on the other foot and all of a sudden those little differences dont matter.

Trust me on this. Native 4k looks alot better in motion especially considering the Scorpio has alot of head room to play with. So expect added effects and details  (If Devs use it)

Wait till E3 when they start announcing games for it and offering the superior experience.

Downscaled 4k looks pretty shmick as well. Scorpio is the best place to play Multiplats that's for sure, outside of a PC of course.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:

Downscaled 4k looks pretty shmick as well. Scorpio is the best place to play Multiplats that's for sure, outside of a PC of course.

I agree. Iv noticed how much better 4k is in person when I upgraded. I wasnt keen on 4k before but after having access to it i cant go back. Its something i always check in the Video options before i play any game from now on.

Is it set to 4k? Yes.. good.

Azzanation said:
Slownenberg said:

Ummmm... NO.  It was having to pay for a system (Xbox One) than couldn't run games as good as the less expensive option (PS4).  Why pay more when you get less?  It's apples to oranges now.  Prices have dropped, and you have more viable choices.  If the Switch outsells the Scorpio on a monthly basis, it just shows it was never just about the "little differences."

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

Ah yes read about this "else where". If that is what all this "True 4k" stuff is about - 100% pass.

Not jut tpass on the Scorpio (which I would have already done with no exclusive games) but pass on even PC 4k gaming.

Scroll to the bottom to see the beetle one. Actually I guess that's a fly?
Its eye is more clear, the things on its leg stand out more. It is a great example.
And one that shows me - I don't care at all.

Yep and this is what I would expect anyone to say pretty much. There just is no way your going to see the true benefits through a monitor like this. These sort of things require you to go into a store and see real life comparisons. Not something that's been saved from the the game, then uploaded to a website as a pic. 

I learned this when I was watching youtube videos of BF4 for PS4 before it released and thought it looked okay at best. I was just excited for the gameplay not really the graphics. Then when I got the game and actually played it the graphics were great much better than what I saw from the videos and pics online. Things like that just aren't a good way to make graphical comparisons. You can do it but it's like smoking weed through a can it works but man is that a horrible way to do it.

Bandorr said:
Azzanation said:

Funny all i remember is people going "who cares". "900p, 1080 whats the difference?". And "The difference is only 180 who is going to notice that?" and many variations of that.

Which actually in general I agree with. Unless I sit there and actively look for the differnece I never saw it. Just like now. I'm not going to care about the little hairs on the legs of a beetle.

Also for the shoe to be on the other foot, Microsoft would Need to be the cheapest, most powerful, and have a ton of "exclusives" for it. It will be the most powerful, it will also be the most expensive and well.... yeah not even close on that third one.

The 100 price tag from the forced bundling of the kinect and the horrible PR mattered a lot more than the slight difference in power. By the time those were overcome they were buried in a landslide of exclusives.

Very interesting. So you dont remember gamers comparing resolutions like it was life and death?

Tell me have you been on N4G, Digital Foundry or IGN Comparison Video comment sections? Go check them out. Its quite clear gamers did care about the preformance bump on PS4. Since launch i remember hearing and reading majority of the industry talking about 1080p being current gen and that 720p hurts there eyes and 900p isnt today's standard. Well guess what, 4 years later the standards have changed. 1080 will be compared to 4k just like how 720p was compared to 1080p. Its a none stop circle.

You still dont believe it happen this generation? Remember the Lawsuit over Killzone SF fake 1080p Multiplayer mode? Ill even post you a link to refresh your memory.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5975983/sony-sued-killzone-shadow-fall-1080p

^ The industry droved resolution so hard that games were getting sued for fake claims. Not in my life have i seen gamers go though court cases about visuals on a game.

At launch both Console's had there fair share of games. Knack, Killzone SF and Resogun being the main big 3 for PS4 while Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse being for XB1. Who had the better library of games? They seem pretty evened out to me. I remember reading heaps of flak on Dead Rising 3 being a 720p/30 frames for a next gen title which seem to have put alot of gamers off, instead of talking about the actual gameplay itselfs. 

Gamers will buy what ever is marketed better, thats a no brainer, you can sell Sh%t to someone if you marketed well. PR slowed XB1 down. Alot used preformance figures to justify there purchase. Playing the better versions of the 3rd party games is a very good selling point for the PS4. Those little differences mattered. And it still goes on today on forums and Visual comparison videos.

As for the price, well it would not have matter if the PS4 was more expensive than the XB1, because XB1 had horrible PR so the PS4 could have sold better regardless. PS4 Pro hasnt had the best feed back from the community, and this is where Scorpio will try to jump the gun and take the Pie. If its market well.

Back on topic, the minor differences mattered back than, (Maybe not to you or to me) but gamers did talk about these little differences and they still do today. Saying you dont remember this is alittle strange since the internet is full of it. I wish more gamers thought like you and did not care for 900p vs 1080p. However that is not the case this gen.

This gen is by far the worst gen i have see when it comes to visuals and bragging rights. Resolution has been the big topic since launch of these consoles. No one cared that Forza 4 was a 720p game on 360 compared to GT5 which was 1080p on the PS3 last gen. Funny how it is brought up on just about every game today.

Like i said, go read the comments and see for yourself. I remember it quite clearly and iv been gaming since the early 90s. Gaming has changed alot.

Azzanation said:
Bandorr said:

Funny all i remember is people going "who cares". "900p, 1080 whats the difference?". And "The difference is only 180 who is going to notice that?" and many variations of that.

Which actually in general I agree with. Unless I sit there and actively look for the differnece I never saw it. Just like now. I'm not going to care about the little hairs on the legs of a beetle.

Also for the shoe to be on the other foot, Microsoft would Need to be the cheapest, most powerful, and have a ton of "exclusives" for it. It will be the most powerful, it will also be the most expensive and well.... yeah not even close on that third one.

The 100 price tag from the forced bundling of the kinect and the horrible PR mattered a lot more than the slight difference in power. By the time those were overcome they were buried in a landslide of exclusives.

Very interesting. So you dont remember gamers comparing resolutions like it was life and death?

Tell me have you been on N4G, Digital Foundry or IGN Comparison Video comment sections? Go check them out. Its quite clear gamers did care about the preformance bump on PS4. Since launch i remember hearing and reading majority of the industry talking about 1080p being current gen and that 720p hurts there eyes and 900p isnt today's standard. Well guess what, 4 years later the standards have changed. 1080 will be compared to 4k just like how 720p was compared to 1080p. Its a none stop circle.

You still dont believe it happen this generation? Remember the Lawsuit over Killzone SF fake 1080p Multiplayer mode? Ill even post you a link to refresh your memory.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5975983/sony-sued-killzone-shadow-fall-1080p

^ The industry droved resolution so hard that games were getting sued for fake claims. Not in my life have i seen gamers go though court cases about visuals on a game.

At launch both Console's had there fair share of games. Knack, Killzone SF and Resogun being the main big 3 for PS4 while Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse being for XB1. Who had the better library of games? They seem pretty evened out to me. I remember reading heaps of flak on Dead Rising 3 being a 720p/30 frames for a next gen title which seem to have put alot of gamers off, instead of talking about the actual gameplay itselfs. 

Gamers will buy what ever is marketed better, thats a no brainer, you can sell Sh%t to someone if you marketed well. PR slowed XB1 down. Alot used preformance figures to justify there purchase. Playing the better versions of the 3rd party games is a very good selling point for the PS4. Those little differences mattered. And it still goes on today on forums and Visual comparison videos.

As for the price, well it would not have matter if the PS4 was more expensive than the XB1, because XB1 had horrible PR so the PS4 could have sold better regardless. PS4 Pro hasnt had the best feed back from the community, and this is where Scorpio will try to jump the gun and take the Pie. If its market well.

Back on topic, the minor differences mattered back than, (Maybe not to you or to me) but gamers did talk about these little differences and they still do today. Saying you dont remember this is alittle strange since the internet is full of it. I wish more gamers thought like you and did not care for 900p vs 1080p. However that is not the case this gen.

This gen is by far the worst gen i have see when it comes to visuals and bragging rights. Resolution has been the big topic since launch of these consoles. No one cared that Forza 4 was a 720p game on 360 compared to GT5 which was 1080p on the PS3 last gen. Funny how it is brought up on just about every game today.

Like i said, go read the comments and see for yourself. I remember it quite clearly and iv been gaming since the early 90s. Gaming has changed alot.

yea yea, everybody just hates MS

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Bandorr said:
Azzanation said:

There was also the gaming media helping push that message, including the one guy from DF, if I remember correctly. Funny how they didn't do that for the PS3 early last gen.  I'm sure some will act blown away by the Scorpio, as well.

JRPGfan said:

Are you hyped for 4k?

In 2020 sure.  That should be enough time for TV manufacturers to make a decent low price 32" 4k  TV.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.