By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How widespread is the Switch's Internet issues?

How does your Switch's online perform?

Better than 3DS/Wii U 43 30.71%

Worse than 3DS/Wii U 24 17.14%

About the same as 3DS/Wii U 22 15.71%

See results you Switchless peasant 51 36.43%

Total:140
Einsam_Delphin said:
KLAMarine said:

Have you tried turning the system off and on? I recently ran into this internet issue and after turning it off and on and then going to System Settings -> Internet -> Internet Settings and testing the connection successfully, that seems to have fixed my issue thereafter.

I don't have the system yet but I will be keeping this in mind.

FYI, after a few more tests, it seems to me that the Switch is slow to connect to the internet after returning from sleep mode. Not sure why this is but as of now, it may take from 30 seconds up to some minutes for the Switch to connect to the internet after returning from sleep mode.

This may have to do with the latest system update, version 2.2.0, as I do not know what connectivity was like prior to the latest firmware update. I do recall during the Splatoon 2 fire test, my Switch had little issue connecting to the internet...

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I don't have the system yet but I will be keeping this in mind.

FYI, after a few more tests, it seems to me that the Switch is slow to connect to the internet after returning from sleep mode. Not sure why this is but as of now, it may take from 30 seconds up to some minutes for the Switch to connect to the internet after returning from sleep mode.

This may have to do with the latest system update, version 2.2.0, as I do not know what connectivity was like prior to the latest firmware update. I do recall during the Splatoon 2 fire test, my Switch had little issue connecting to the internet...

What about when you fully power off the system? That's what I'll be doing, yeah I have to walk up to it and hold the power button down cause for some reason there's no other way, but I'll have to do that anyway when switching cartridges.

Einsam_Delphin said:
KLAMarine said:

What about when you fully power off the system? That's what I'll be doing, yeah I have to walk up to it and hold the power button down cause for some reason there's no other way, but I'll have to do that anyway when switching cartridges.

Seems about the same.

And it's not necessary to shut the Switch off to swap cartridges.

I have no internet issues apart from having to do a restart around the time of the testfire, but there have been a couple of system update since then so I suppose this has helped fix any problems. My left joycon on the other hand works fine 90% of the time, but has the odd silly moment. Hoping to finally pick up a pro controller when I can find one.

My Netgear router is in the game room probably four feet from my consoles/TV/PC. Probably the biggest reason why I never have the issues other people may have. The problems may exist but I never see them.

Around the Network

Got mine today and it seems to be good, getting the same 2-3 bars that my Wii U does in the same location and it downloaded the updates just fine. Phew, dunno what I woulda done if it didn't work!

okr said:
okr said:

Mine doesn't connect to the internet since yesterday.

Fixed. The solution was way easier than I thought. I just had to shutdown the system and restart. Power-off (not just standby) is only possible on the system itself, not (yet) via Pro Controller - I hope the feature will be added some day - and as I only use the system in docked mode I had forgotten that the system can actually be completely shut down.

Was it giving you a DNS error?  I had to do the same thing to get the latest update (complete restart).  After that the eshop worked just fine and the update was fairly quick.

Edit: it was giving me the same error even after breaking out my old Wii ethernet adapter and trying 2 different routers. Again a simple Restart fixed the issue.

The_Yoda said:

Was it giving you a DNS error?

Yes.

Now 1.5 month later after Switch launch its clear that this and all other Switch problems are overblown. Of Course that some people have some of those problems, but huge majority of people dont have any problem, but because of internet and fact that people that have some problem are much more vocal compared to people who dont have any, some people thought that every second Switch had some problem, while reality that only small number of Switch owners has some problem.

cycycychris said:
My switch struggles to connect to the internet, even in areas where it should have a strong signal. I should really send the thing in for repairs. A long with my left joyconn.

So wait, is the issue that it has a weak signal or that it wont connect regardless of signal strength? I played around with mine more and it actually never gets 3 bars unless I'm within 10 feet of my router, and even then it still fluctuates down to 2, but it has no problem connecting. From what I've read, I believe the problem with the signal strength is that the Switch isn't diverting enough power to it even when docked. Hopefully that can be fixed in a patch.