By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Games Make 3x As Much As Physical In US, Says Report

vivster said:
Nuvendil said:

Well this is based on revenue and mobile games are almost all free so if a large percentage of people refuse to buy the microtransactions those downloads are worthless.

If you do it right, mobile games make a ton of money even if only 1% of the people pay for it. Some games make billions and many make millions. F2P games usually make more money than traditional pay models.

It's not that the revenue of mobile is small, it's just that physical sales are still that huge.

Well the secret to mobile isn't just the massive earnings its the ridiculously cheap production.  So I wouldd say it is a combination of the two.  A mobile game can be more profitable with less revenue, thus even with all those profits it's still possible for revenue from mobile games to not stack up as well against physical sales as some would think.  Also my point was more that the majority of mobile games are not big successes.  Mobile is an enormous pie but a very, very small number of companies and franchises consume the overwhelming majority of it while the rest scramble for relevance.  Thus you can't just look at the huge number of apps on the stores and use that as a means of extrapolating the size of the mobile games industry cause the majority of those are incredibly insignificant and are only able to even exist because, again, they are very cheap to make.

Around the Network
dgboweniii said:

Why?  No one should be surprised by this.  Physical media is nothing but a hassle.  Our kids will not even know what a disc or cartridge was.

That will never in our lifetime  happen.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
dgboweniii said:

Why?  No one should be surprised by this.  Physical media is nothing but a hassle.  Our kids will not even know what a disc or cartridge was.

Sounds like you don't plan on living very long.

Barkley said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Noo physical  media in the world totally  ended.

Last week a new snes game got released.

You can still buy cd's  dvs's blu rays..

And with the ever increasing  popularity  of limited run games and many upcoming  companies  who are trying  to do the same.

Physical  will never end up until sony  etc decide to release  a console  without  a physical  drive.

Will be the  day i stop new gen gaming. 

My youtube gaming page.

xl-klaudkil said:
Barkley said:

Physical  will never end up until sony  etc decide to release  a console  without  a physical  drive.

Don't worry that won't happen, they'll just not release a console at all. Online cloud-based service is the future of gaming, PlayStation Now is slowly building the foundations over the next decade for what will eventually be PlayStation's core focus.

By 2025, the cloud-gaming future will be right on the doorstep.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Don't worry that won't happen, they'll just not release a console at all. Online cloud-based service is the future of gaming, PlayStation Now is slowly building the foundations over the next decade for what will eventually be PlayStation's core focus.

By 2025, the cloud-gaming future will be right on the doorstep.

Hmmz...i did predict  years ago ps5 will be the last conso...

Well lucky  for me there are more games then i can ever afford  or play soo :)

My youtube gaming page.

KLXVER said:
I think that's because gaming is way more mainstream now. Its still 6 billion for physical releases. How much was it yearly during the 1st to 6th gen?

This,

vivster said:
Nuvendil said:

Well this is based on revenue and mobile games are almost all free so if a large percentage of people refuse to buy the microtransactions those downloads are worthless.

If you do it right, mobile games make a ton of money even if only 1% of the people pay for it. Some games make billions and many make millions. F2P games usually make more money than traditional pay models.

It's not that the revenue of mobile is small, it's just that physical sales are still that huge.

this

xl-klaudkil said:
Barkley said:

Noo physical  media in the world totally  ended.

Last week a new snes game got released.

You can still buy cd's  dvs's blu rays..

And with the ever increasing  popularity  of limited run games and many upcoming  companies  who are trying  to do the same.

Will be the  day i stop new gen gaming. 

and this, and another thing too, outside of towns or other areas densely populated enough, connection speed is low and slowly growing too (and this happens even in some small roads in big towns too, where I live I barely got 11 to 14 Mbps, depending on weather and its effect on old wires, with the best provider and I currently get 8Mbps with a cheaper one), making digital download not viable for PC- and home console-sized games, while mobiles and portables can instead be easily taken to well connected areas when heavier downloads (but still smaller than on PC and home consoles) are needed.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Perhaps it's time for a new meme like this but for physical media

Yet for PC it is on it's death bed. You can import a PC dvd version of Halo Wars 2 from the UK, yet for Mass Effect Andromeda all I can find is no disc / code in a box physical options. The only version with a dvd is not available. I guess without internet access your PC gaming is getting more and more limited nowadays.

Shadow1980 said:
Barkley said:

Print books and Blu-ray were supposed to be long dead by now. Every time I hear about the supposed "death" of something, I can't help but recall all the myriad failed predictions of the past. There will always be demand for physical media, and as long as that demand exists, there will be supply to meet it.

Books are an actual physical medium, Games/Movies are digital information stored on a physical device. They're functionally identical, whereas a book on paper compared to a ebook is actually a different thing.

Saying physical media for games won't dissapear within our lifetimes seems improbable. Games will still be physical in 2080??? xD

SvennoJ said:

Perhaps it's time for a new meme like this but for physical media

Yet for PC it is on it's death bed. You can import a PC dvd version of Halo Wars 2 from the UK, yet for Mass Effect Andromeda all I can find is no disc / code in a box physical options. The only version with a dvd is not available. I guess without internet access your PC gaming is getting more and more limited nowadays.

Surely you almost always need Internet on a PC, but if your connection is slow, physical media are a good option whenever possible. Up until now I used digital download just when it had advantages largely outweighing the nuisance of slow download, for example for GOG gifts like System Shock 2, or GOG DRM-free versions of a few games I owned on physical media that worked well when I started them on Windows 2000, but the DRMs of which messed up drivers on XP and after that they didn't work at all as CDs and DVDs weren't detected anymore (so a system restore was needed also to install any other game or program from CD or DVD and to play those that required the media to be inserted), while on Win 7 they didn't work either, but luckily Win 7 prevented them from messing up the drivers.
I also think I'll use Steam to redeem the disc code and download an updated version of a game with the original DRM incompatible with XP or newer version of Windows and that alas hasn't a DRM-free version on GOG (but at least Steam keeps its own DRM up-to-date and not too annoying, unlike some shit like StarForce et similia).
OTOH I'm perfectly fine with my Internet speed for much smaller digital downloads on my tablet, and even smaller ones on my phone.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!