By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mega Man's TRUE Successor?

The closest is Azure Striker Gunvolt, but that is more of a successor to Zero/ZX series. MN9 is not THAT bad...I still consider it the successor to Mega Man. A sequel will be better done and remember, the original Mega Man didnt light the world on fire either

Around the Network

Shovel Knight is the closest to the greatness that is Mega Man.

CaptainExplosion said:

It's been almost a year, and the unexpected failure of Mighty No. 9 is still fresh in our minds.

Clearly this game didn't become the spiritual successor to Mega Man like Inafune touted it as.

So what game would you say DID become Mega Man's spiritual successor (Assuming Capcom is still too lazy to give us new Mega Man games)? Shovel Knight? The Legend of Dark Witch? Azure Strike Gunvolt? Or maybe another game similar enough to Mega Man that I don't know of but is very good?

Shovelknight is really more akin to Mario and Zelda II with some extra rpg elements thrown in.

I haven't really played many games that remind me of megaman recently... I'd say AVGN's two games certainly modeled their controls and the gameplay itself after megaman, but the level design and such didn't live up to the old franchise.

Shovel Knight maybe? I cant quite think of any other.

While Shovel Knight is a blend of a few games and not just Mega Man it is definitely inspired by Mega Man the most. And the fact that I found that game downright amazing gives it my vote.

Around the Network

Nothing. You can't outdo the original NES Megaman series. The only way to have a true successor is to make more games with the original team... which wouldn't be a successor but a continuation.

From your list, I feel Azure Gunvolt is the closest

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Shovel Knight. Some say Azure Gunvolt but that plays more like Mega Man Zero games, and honestly I hated the Zero series, it's too easy. Shovel Knight is much more like classic Mega Man than any other game right now. And it can easily take its place over time.

The game that comes with the KonoSuba 2 Bluray disc.

For me nothing, and the idea of Shovel Knight being Mega Man's successor makes me wanna hurl blood.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."