By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Monopoly Insight

How do you guys feel about the general arguement that Microsoft is trying to brand themselves on every corner of the livingroom with their products? 

This question comes from the numerous assertions and accusations from forums all over the internet including this one every so often.  I am just curious as to how you guys feel about it.  Do you think Microsoft is just in for the business (Gaming) or the latter, trying to take over the market as they have with the PC?

Around the Network

microsoft throwing money at all their problems isn't a "smart move" its a cheap move. microsoft buying rare was the cruelest thing that they could do to nintendo. they deprived us of another good donkey kong game. i am still hoping for donkey kong wii.

the nintendo wii will outsell the ps3 and the 360 combined by the end of 2008.                           

PS3 will out sell the 360 june 2010.                                                                      

GOTY of 2008 is super smash brothers brawl.... hopefully.

END OF 08 PREDICTIONS:

Wii: 45 million         xbox360: 26 million       PS3: 19 million (made beginning of 08)

wii: 44 million         xbox 360: 24 million      PS3: 21 million (made june 08)

wii code: 8094-5344-2140-1400

brawl code: 5412-9565-3232   

Microsoft can't take over the video game market. They can temporarily own it like Nintendo did in the 80's & 90's and Sony in the late 90's till 2006. Even if Microsoft does WIN this generation, it does not guarantee that they'll take over the market. The ONLY way to own the market is to own more than 50% market share and that's only for a single generation.

Just because Nintendo is doing good right now doesn't mean they got this generation in the bad. Just because Sony DESTROYED the competition with the PS1 and PS2 doesn't mean the PS3 will be just as good.

If Microsoft tries hard enough, they can still win this. This generation is still anyone's game.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

I think they're trying to monopolize the industry they aquired a lot of developers thinking they can win, they havent even got a big chunk of the japanese market after 6 years.

Hmmm...something tells me I strayed a bit off topic in my last post. LOL!

Anyways, I believe Microsoft knows that there's lots of money to be had in the entertainment industry and the easiest way to do so would be to make the 360 that has TV, movie, internet, music features just like what living rooms are made for. They can do that AND make the occasional game or two.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network

i don't think it's about gaming but about being in your living room as we will see less people behind PCs for basic things as surfing the web reading email chatting etc... plus VOD etc....

but you guys seem to forget that MS is way more than just in you PC and living room it's also in your zune (and wouldn't be surprised that other MP3 players are using MS software), it's some of your cellphone, it's in your car now if you have sync, it's in your ATM.... it's in some missiles, it's basically on anything that use an OS....

so trust me the monopole is there and is not about to change.. the living room is just one more logical step in their world domination.... lol

I find it interesting how most companies are unwilling to compromise. For Sony, it seems like it all has to be their own proprietary software for it to be a true Sony product.
What I am getting at is synergy. If Microsoft or Sony really wanted to make advances forward they would partner with the likes of Netflix and itunes.
I know there has been some talk about Netflix.

Just imagine how cool it would be if the PS3 made exclusive deals with Netflix and/or itunes to design PS3 software versions of their services to be implemented in the PS3. IMO That would be the first step to controlling a monopoly in the HD home console market.

@OP, I do think it is Microsoft's perogative to infiltrate the living rooms of every house as a business decision to expand its monopolistic empire of wrath and destruction. And they have made leaps and bounds in comparison to last gen to this gen.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

well....there's nothing wrong about trying to diversify. Plus, think of Microsoft as competition. That's good.

microsoft is out for money i think they have become too greedy

perculator said:
microsoft is out for money i think they have become too greedy

oh yeah true I forgot Sony and Nintendo are just their for fun and to please the gamers lol..... hell why they don't give me a system I promise I'll do a good donation :)

come on what kind of answer is that... they are all there for the money as much as the other, it's the only interest of corporations like MS Sony and Nintendo they are not NGOs or humanitarian organisations lol....