By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It is Much Too Early to Worry About Switch 3rd Party Support

Are you worried about 3rd party support 4 Switch?

Yes 82 32.28%

No 53 20.87%

Check back in 6 months 35 13.78%

Check back in a year 45 17.72%

It doesn't need 3rd Party Support 14 5.51%

Switch be doomed yo 25 9.84%

Total:254

It's too early to come to hard conclusions, but i'd say we have enough information to at least worry. Those worries may eventually be proven unnecessary, but we're sufficiently informed to at least make assumptions and judge the picture those assumptions make.

My personal expectation is that the majority of technically complex 3rd party PS4/X1/PC titles will skip out on the Switch, but that it'll get strong support from developers currently focused on the Vita and 3DS. It'll also be interesting to see if those previously portable only series start appearing on the PS4/X1/PC too, given many will be making their jump to HD development.

Around the Network

MAkes sense. I guess next march is when we look at the situation and, if the scenario ask for it, we start to worry. I will not buy a Switch till there are around 7 must have games in it for me. So far it is Zelda.
Splatton and Mario Kart 8 does not count, as I do not liked these games on WiiU. Aside that, Mario would be nice, Pokemon, mayne Metroid, and we will see what else comes.
One thing though, 1-2-Switch is garbage.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

The only thing with Nintendo and the dev kits ... like if you're using a non-custom Tegra X1 as your chip, I mean you really couldn't have sent kits out early last year?

Even just for devs to get started on games because they could always give them a different dev kit later on with the final firmware/OS whatever, but developers should have been able to get up and running with games and should've had kits a year ago.

That's the only thing that makes me go "oh Nintendo, you goofy bastards ...".

You could literally as a consumer walk into a Best Buy this time a year ago and walk out with the Switch chipset basically, so I mean why not give devs that heads up, lol, devs having kits for only like 3-6 months is kinda stupid. 

I think developers actually do want to support the Switch, it's just a matter of what is possible on the chip and whether it's worthwhile putting the effort to port versus the potential return in sales.

Which I think is different from even the Wii/DS where those platforms were driven by motion control and touch control that developers catered far too hard just towards that, Switch while having both motion and touch control doesn't rely on either really.

It's a core-centric console, you look at most reviews for the system and even PS4/XB1 fans like it.

So from that POV I think developers really don't have anything against Switch, it's just a matter of what can realistically run on the system and how hard is it to get there.

I agree, a lot of 3rd party devs didn't jump to the PS4 right away and was still developing games for the PS3 or 360 until the market was big enough to move over

The Switch definitely has good potential, and I'm pretty hopeful after the Direct.. if the Switch can get Vita devs to port or make new games for the Switch, along with the 3DS developers and Nintendo (and hopefully other 3rd party support on top of that), that will already be enough for me

At the same time, it's best not to be too optimisitic since the future can easily change too

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I think developers actually do want to support the Switch, it's just a matter of what is possible on the chip and whether it's worthwhile putting the effort to port versus the potential return in sales.

Which I think is different from even the Wii/DS where those platforms were driven by motion control and touch control that developers catered far too hard just towards that, Switch while having both motion and touch control doesn't rely on either really.

It's a core-centric console, you look at most reviews for the system and even PS4/XB1 fans like it.

So from that POV I think developers really don't have anything against Switch, it's just a matter of what can realistically run on the system and how hard is it to get there.

Well the reality is that most games could work fine as games on the Switch.  Shoot most could have easily been done on the Xbox 360 or PS3.  Diminishing returns is often talked about in terms of visuals, but where it has had the most pronounced affect is on systems, for lack of a better word.  That is, the nuts and bolts of what games are doing.  In the olden days, a new generation resulted in new games that 95% of the time were impossible on prior platforms.   Looking at this gen I would say that maybe - if we're really extra super generous - 30% of current gen games are impossible on prior platforms.  It's probably lower than that.  Most games are just using the next gen muscles for prettier graphics. 

So the question is not, are most AAA games possible on Switch - the answer is yes - but rather how easy will they be to scale in terms of their presentation.   And that's where engine design comes in.   And how much time and money publishers are willing to invest. 

Switch will be getting 3DS/Vita supports from 3rd party devs and that is just fine. Switch will be fine.

I'll say that I'm concerned about third party Seitch support...
However, given the shovel ware support the Wii received, and the complete lack of support for Wii U, I'm quite surprised by the level of support we are currently seeing for the Switch...

Have a nice day...

You do make some good points, though hopefully 3rd parties don't wait around too long. I dunno if Nintendo and smaller title games can hold the system up forever. I also feel that it'll still miss some of the more demanding 3rd party games.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

There's a lot of games that I think could be ported though, and lots of PS3/360 era games that would be fun to play on the go ...

- Madden NFL series, NHL series
- Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinity
- Nier
- Overwatch
- Mortal Kombat X
- BioShock 1/2/3
- Resident Evil 4/5/6, Revelations 2
- Final Fantasy I-VI
- Final Fantasy VII-IX
- Final Fantasy X, XI
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Grand Theft Auto IV, V