By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Scorpio is upside down

Convinced?

Yes 14 53.85%

No 12 46.15%

Total:26

The left side of this image is the bottom, not the top. The motherboard is upside down inside Scorpio.

The proof is that the disc drive is upside down, the ports are upside down, and the ports are in the opposite order they are on the XBO S.

Here is a link to a post I made on a different website with pictures.

(MODS feel free to remove the link and post the images here. I've been having formating issues with them.)

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

That is interesting.

But wouldn't it being upside effect the vapor chamber cooling system negatively? Hot, humid air rises and condenses on the fan cooled heat sink in a vapor chamber cooler, so wouldn't it being upside down prevent the air from rising and condensing on the heatsink properly?

Edit: Nevermind, looking at the picture it seems that the heatsink would be above, allowing the hot, humid air to rise and condense on the heatsink as intended. 

Yeah with a normal fan it'd be odd to have it upside down, but with their vapor cooling it might be better.

It's right side up and the world is upside down. All bets are off on Trump's America.

This seems kinda interesting. But maybe it is just a mistake on the render and the ports can just be in a different order compared to Xbox One S

Upside down eh? I didn't really pay all that close attention to the ports, but you have a really strong point. The disc drive orientation as well. Phil did say the ports on Scorpio are laid out exactly the same as XB1S, so upgrading would be super simple in terms of just swaping directly like for like and your good to go.

With that in mind, the fact that Scorpio's internal design immediately makes you think of PS4, since ironically enough, its built "upside down" as well, makes this case even stronger. The fan type, a first for XB, but normal now for PS. The internal power supply, newer to XB, normal for PS. The cooling system completely closed in for maximum heat output directly out the rear of the console, newer to XB, normal for PS. Extremely compact design overall, newer to XB, normal for PS. I wonder if the mass storage HDD/SSD is upgradable based on its location inside the console? It looks like it could be potentially, not that its necessary with external support.

Scorpio being built "upside down" doesn't seem all that far fetched now really. The orientation in the picture would mimic Scorpio standing up like XB1S. When Scorpio is lying down it would be "upside down" inside the shell, in comparison to the XB1S, but the disc drive would end up on the same side because of this. Phil did say he wanted a family resemblance between them and this would allow for exactly that. I have a feeling Scorpio is going to be smaller than most think.

Good catch! I think your right.

Around the Network

maybe the scorpio is upsite down because microsoft wants to "turn it around" ?

Twitter @CyberMalistix

RolStoppable said:
It has a disc drive, so I consider it backwards.

huh?  Consoles can't have disc drives?  Where will my blurays be played?  Also when are they bringing back cd playback?

I am Iron Man

RolStoppable said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

huh?  Consoles can't have disc drives?  Where will my blurays be played?  Also when are they bringing back cd playback?

It's so amazing that Switch ditched discs. Superior all around.

Well SD cards are superior to discs for gaming no doubt. They are however a bit more expensive and offer less multimedia options. They are very quiet though, so it defenitly has it perks.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
RolStoppable said:

It's so amazing that Switch ditched discs. Superior all around.

Well SD cards are superior to discs for gaming no doubt. They are however a bit more expensive and offer less multimedia options. They are very quiet though, so it defenitly has it perks.

The discs only contain data, nothing is streamed from them all game data is streamed from the harddisks of the consoles and since both consoles offer external hard drives you can let your wallet decide how good the external drive is.

SD cards are better in many ways but as pure data storage you need to go with the cheaper option so discs win on that front. Obv the switch doesn't have discs since its a handheld and also has limited storage.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:
Qwark said:

The discs only contain data, nothing is streamed from them all game data is streamed from the harddisks of the consoles and since both consoles offer external hard drives you can let your wallet decide how good the external drive is.

SD cards are better in many ways but as pure data storage you need to go with the cheaper option so discs win on that front. Obv the switch doesn't have discs since its a handheld and also has limited storage.

Good point but HDD's still make a lot of noise though. It's a shame that a decent SSD of 1TB is still pretty expensive.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar