By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo will Release a Mini-Size Switch, Citigroup Predicts

What comes first? What do you think ?

The Mini-Switch 58 40.56%

Switch-Hardware-Upgrade (... 26 18.18%

Both in the same year 10 6.99%

Difficult to say. 15 10.49%

I do not care. 18 12.59%

See results 16 11.19%

Total:143
RolStoppable said:
Conina said:

Filling up only one instead of two pockets ain't better portability? Some people want to carry some other things with them (f.e. a wallet and/or a smartphone), which take some place in the second pocket.

Less weight ain't an advantage both for carrying and using the device?

Instantly being able to play instead of first reconnecting the two joy cons ain't an advantage on the go?

The common complaint about the current Switch body is that it's too big to slip in a pocket. This complaint does not get properly addressed by creating a bigger body; that only makes things worse.

Height and depth of the Switch mini would be less, it would only be a bit longer, which ain't a problem in an inner pocket of a jacket.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Cloudman said:

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time imagining how these different versions would look like...

It doesn't take THAT much imagination:

Switch Pro/XL model: the same body as the normal Switch, but with a bigger display (7.x inch) by reducing the bezels. More energy efficient SoC (Tegra X2?) to enhance either battery life (of the same battery size) or to use it for better graphics (docked mode on the go). 1080p display instead of 720p display, if they go the docked mode route.

Switch lite/mini: smaller body, less weight, controls built into the body, no HD-rumble. The same display size (6.2 inch) as the normal Switch by reducing the bezels, so no downgrade here. The battery capacity could be the same with the space gained by ditching HD rumble and the separate joycon batteries. More energy efficient SoC (Tegra X2?) to enhance battery life. If you want to play motion controlled games, you buy a pair of joycons, which override the internal controls.

From the looks of it, there doesn't look to be much of a point to make a bigger screen for the Switch a different variation, but just have that one be the standard replacement for the original.

And I don't know if it would be better if a smaller Switch with non detachable cons would be made.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

RolStoppable said:
Conina said:

Height and depth of the Switch mini would be less, it would only be a bit longer, which ain't a problem in an inner pocket of a jacket.

If we are talking about the inner pocket of jacket, the current Switch fits in already.

I get it that you really want a lighter Switch, but your personal wish isn't enough to justify a revision that goes against the Switch concept and makes things more complicated. It doesn't even make sense from the point of view of portability. A handheld-only Switch would need to get shrunk a lot more than this proposed Switch Lite in order to make at least some sense.

The two models I showed were of course only a quick and dirty proposal of mine. Of course Nintendo could offer a Switch lite even smaller than that with a 5.5'' or 5.0'' screen and proportionally shrunk body + weight.

But no matter what I say, I get the usual drift: anything that Nintendo didn't built in is not important for the "Switch experience" and anything they built in is absolutely necessary for the "Switch experience". Any modification to reduce costs (for people that don't need the whole hybrid solution or to lower the costs of entry) would destroy the whole Switch concept. Until Nintendo announces a new revision or iteration... then of course every improvement or cost reduction will be praised as a smart move.

Conina said:
Cloudman said:

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time imagining how these different versions would look like...

Switch Pro/XL model: the same body as the normal Switch, but with a bigger display (7.x inch) by reducing the bezels. More energy efficient SoC (Tegra X2?) to enhance either battery life (of the same battery size) or to use it for better graphics (docked mode on the go). 1080p display instead of 720p display, if they go the docked mode route.

Switch lite/mini: smaller body, less weight, controls built into the body, no HD-rumble. The same display size (6.2 inch) as the normal Switch by reducing the bezels, so no downgrade here. The battery capacity could be the same with the space gained by ditching HD rumble and the separate joycon batteries. More energy efficient SoC (Tegra X2?) to enhance battery life. If you want to play motion controlled games, you buy a pair of joycons, which override the internal controls.

I like idea of Pro/XL where main would be smaller or no at all bezels. 1080p resolution is possible only if that model could actually use same Docked mode (games running at higher resolution) in portaable mode instead of portable mod in current Switch (games runing at 720p).

Actually I can easily see Switch Mini/Pocket has screen around 5", that means even smaller and more practical device for only handheld use.

I am expecting 3 revisions like DS, ah smaller NS on holidays of 2018 and improve it and better NS in Holidays 2019, this console has many chances of success, and the next nintendo console would benefit a lot from how much NS does.

Around the Network

I would much rather prefer a non-portable that can play Switch games. Wasn't part of the appeal of the NX/Switch was that it was a single software platform that could unify both portable and home console ecosystems. I understand that it could just be the Switch that Nintendo intended. But I am completely uninterested in the portable part of the Switch.

I would be much more inclined to buy into Nintendo if I could buy a cheaper home console version that ditched the joycons and just came bundled with the pro controller.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Conina said:
Cloudman said:

This is basically what I've been saying, *that* said I don't think they'll make the Swith Lite/Mini with integreted controls. It'll just use Joycons. It'll be smaller because it loses the bezel and that makes it only a bit bigger than a PS Vita. You can try that with your Switch right now, take the Joycons off and overlay them over the right/left bezels, it makes a big difference in the size of the unit. 

Joycons should scale down in cost fairly quickly. For one there's no display tech or anything in them, and 2 have to be made per system, so Nintendo could be mass producing 20-30 million/year of them just for Switch systems, not including several more that will be needed for seperately purchased Joycons and all the different color variants. 

At that volume, I think the price of them will decrease quickly so it's not really neccessarily for the Switch Lite to go Joycon-less. I don't honestly think the HD rumble costs that much it's a fancy term for a bunch of little motors, nothing that special. Feels cool sure. 

Otherwise though bravo. You're pretty much on point. What I think will happen actually is the Switch basic, the middle current design will basically be phased out in 2018 or so by the Switch Mini you've proposed (just with detachable Joycons). That will become the standard model for $229.99-$249.99 w/a game bundled. 

And yeah I agree with the Pro model pretty much spot on. They can keep that at $299.99. Bring 'em on. 

Slownenberg said:

I definitely think there will be a cheaper switch-mini that gets down to normal handheld prices of $200 or less. Don't sell the dock or controller grip with it, get rid of the dead space on the left and right of the screen to make it less wide, make it a bit thinner and lighter, sell for $200, eventually dropping to $150 to really pick up the portable crowd.

yes i think so too.

EricHiggin said:
Switch dedicated mini handheld E3 2018. Switch dedicated "Shield" home console 2019. Switch hybrid as is, 2020 full upgrade handheld and dock.
The dedicated home console is a bit of a stretch, but since Nvidia already makes the console, and Switch is basically stock Tegra, making a Switch "Shield" should be cheap and easy, and could be sold as a flagship premium NiN device like Pro and Scorpio. This would also give more incentive to 3rd parties to port to the Switch ecosystem, given the future Switch "Shield" consoles acceptable hardware, in terms of performance compared to the competition.

many upgrades, So it was with the 3DS also. sounds good.

Bofferbrauer said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I'd rather them focus on battery life than size tbh.

Which is why I expect a Switch XL instead of a Mini first.

And yeah, I think both will come in due time.

both, yes. i too. Next year - do you think so too ?

David_Hernandeez said:
I am expecting 3 revisions like DS, ah smaller NS on holidays of 2018 and improve it and better NS in Holidays 2019, this console has many chances of success, and the next nintendo console would benefit a lot from how much NS does.

The Waiting for better versions has begun. My biggest wish is definitely a stronger hardware.

KazumaKiryu said:

Bofferbrauer said:

Which is why I expect a Switch XL instead of a Mini first.

And yeah, I think both will come in due time.

Not quite. 2018 for the XL, 2019-2020 for the Mini

Bofferbrauer said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Not quite. 2018 for the XL, 2019-2020 for the Mini

OK i understand =) Thanks for your forecast.