By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Splatoon 2 still stuck at 720p? Why are most Switch games full HD?

I don't care much for Resolution but this is a question I'm really curious about.

Everything Splatoon 2 has shown us has been suprising me. New Zombie-like mode. Impoved graphics. New weapons. New Specials and ect. The one thing that stands out is the resolution. Trailer had 720p, Global testfire 720p and everything is 720p. There's been articles based on the resolution, youtube comments about gamers being dissapointed about the resolution. And also me. I'm curious. Why is Splatoon 2 720p?

Mario Kart 8 Switch Port is full HD, Fast racing RMX is full HD, Lego City undercover is full HD. But why not Splatoon 2?  Splatoon doesn't seem like a graphical demanding game at all. I'm pretty sure if a Mario Kart 8 port can make an full HD port, Splatoon 2 can reach full HD too. I know Splatoon 2 isn't a port but Mario Kart 8 literally PUSHED Wii U's hardware over the max PLUS adding more content.

This doesn't affect me much. But It's dissapointing. I have a 4K gaming monitor. So 1080p games upscale PERFECTLY on it. 720p games just makes it blurry for me. If I'm going to be playing a brand new Splatoon game for the next few years, I'd LOVE if it ran 1080p to take advantage of the 4K upscaling.     

Around the Network

Probably to get it out the door sooner. I don't know. I played the demo and while it was fun, it was one of the poorest experiences I've had in gaming in a long while. I have absolute zero interest in paying more than $10 for that game. The jaggies were so unreal that it was distracting and began to take the fun out of the game.

Could be something with framerate. It runs at 60FPS. Other games do to, but I dunno about multiplayer games. Mario Kart 8 runs at 60FPS, but only up to two players. Dunno if Splatoon runs at 60 with 3-4 players.

Why did you make a second topic?

I haven't seen enough of it to see if there is much of a visual bump but according to Digital Foundry they've aggressively prioritised 60fps. That and the desire to get it out the door quickly might be all there is to it I.e. Not enough time to optimise at a higher res.

Around the Network

Probably just a matter of time, they were trying to get this game soon in the switch life so they are probably prioritising other things, like gameplay and all those secondary things that nobody cares nowadays. Maybe with more times it would be 1080p, but is not really game that would benefit a lot from that since the artstyle makes everything looks clean and pretty clear.

Locking

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=227671&page=1#

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]