By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Splatoon 2 still stuck at 720p? Why are most Switch games full HD?

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo has already shown they are willing to release sub-1080p Switch games, it follows logically that as time goes on and games push the system further, this will happen again. We saw the same thing with PS4 and Xbox One.

Its obvious that Nintendo is aiming higher resolution with Switch than 720p. With Wii U they aimid 720p, and at launch we had 720p 1st party games, we actuly later had few 1080p games later but not lower resolution than 720p games. And like I wrote, no, we didn't see that with PS4 1st party games, most of PS4 1st party games were 1080p at launch and they are still.

If you are expecting Switch to be a 1080P gaming powerhouse, you might just end up disappointed.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Its obvious that Nintendo is aiming higher resolution with Switch than 720p. With Wii U they aimid 720p, and at launch we had 720p 1st party games, we actuly later had few 1080p games later but not lower resolution than 720p games. And like I wrote, no, we didn't see that with PS4 1st party games, most of PS4 1st party games were 1080p at launch and they are still.

Actually, Breath of the Wild on Wii U drops below 720p; it runs at 648p in demanding areas.

As for PS4, The Order 1886 is 800p, Uncharted 4's multiplayer is 900p, and Beyond Two Souls is 817p.

That doesn't change anything, one 1st party game runs at 720p-648p, 3 at 1080p, and all others at 720p.

So like I wrote, its very obvious that huge majority of 1st party PS4 games are 1080p.

Pemalite said:
Miyamotoo said:

If you are expecting Switch to be a 1080P gaming powerhouse, you might just end up disappointed.

I don't know what exactly you think when you say "1080P gaming powerhous"but I expecting that Switch 1st party games have resolution 900-1080p, its obvious they aiming at higher resolution than 720p with Switch (for now only one 1st party or Wii U port thats below 1080p is Zelda BotW with 900p), while with Wii U they aimed 720p and over 90% Nintendo 1st party games had that resolution.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Actually, Breath of the Wild on Wii U drops below 720p; it runs at 648p in demanding areas.

As for PS4, The Order 1886 is 800p, Uncharted 4's multiplayer is 900p, and Beyond Two Souls is 817p.

That doesn't change anything, one 1st party game runs at 720p-648p, 3 at 1080p, and all others at 720p.

So like I wrote, its very obvious that huge majority of 1st party PS4 games are 1080p.

Breath of the Wild proves you wrong about Nintendo not going below 720p on Wii U, and you will be proved wrong again when future first party Switch games run below 1080p. 

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Breath of the Wild proves you wrong about Nintendo not going below 720p on Wii U, and you will be proved wrong again when future first party Switch games run below 1080p. 

Yup I was wrong, so I will correct me, only one 1st party Wii U game doesnt run at full 720p but actually at dynamic 720p resolution, on other hand we have 3 full 1080p games, while all other are 720p whitout dynamic resolution.

I didnt said that future Switch 1st party games will not run below 1080p, I just said that is obvious that Nintendo is aiming higher resolution than 720p with Switch, and that most of 1st party games will be 900-1080p.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Yup I was wrong, so I will correct me, only one 1st party Wii U game doesnt run at full 720p but actually at dynamic 720p resolution, on other hand we have 3 full 1080p games, while all other are 720p whitout dynamic resolution.

I didnt said that future Switch 1st party games will not run below 1080p, I just said that is obvious that Nintendo is aiming higher resolution than 720p with Switch, and that most of 1st party games will be 900-1080p.

I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of 720p first party games, especially with Splatoon 2 being 720p only a few months out from launch. Games rarely see major resolution boosts so late in development.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of 720p first party games, especially with Splatoon 2 being 720p only a few months out from launch. Games rarely see major resolution boosts so late in development.

I also dont rule out of possibility of 720p 1st party game, but I expecting that majority will be 900-1080p. If we talk about development, Switch is different compared to previous Nintendo consoles, because they are working on two modes and two resolutions, portable and docked, so everything is possible.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

I also dont rule out of possibility of 720p 1st party game, but I expecting that majority will be 900-1080p. If we talk about development, Switch is different compared to previous Nintendo consoles, because they are working on two modes and two resolutions, portable and docked, so everything is possible.

That's the thing though, in portable mode the Testfire build of Splatoon 2 can drop to around 540p, which is well below even the Wii U original.

It would seem Nintendo have made the conscious choice with this game to sacrifice resolution as much as necessary to ensure a locked 60fps.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's the thing though, in portable mode the Testfire build of Splatoon 2 can drop to around 540p, which is well below even the Wii U original.

It would seem Nintendo have made the conscious choice with this game to sacrifice resolution as much as necessary to ensure a locked 60fps.

Agree, but we will know final resolution in 2.5 months.