By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Splatoon 2 still stuck at 720p? Why are most Switch games full HD?

Miyamotoo said:

I think that DF reported that ARMS was running at 1080p even in january. For now from launched 1st party games or Wii U ports, only Zelda BotW is below 1080p and still not single 720p game.

I wouldn't take Mario Odyssey YouTube trailer like proof of resolution, because thats was in January and Mario Odyssey is holiday game. I would surprised if game is 720p, because until now we saw that Switch is much more capable than Wii U and it seems that Switch has power to run Mario Odyssey at higher resolution than 720p, also it seems that Nintendo with Switch is aiming at higher resolution than 720p.

There were no games below 900p in PS4's first few months either, but there are now. As time goes on, we will likely see many Switch games running below 1080p, as some developers will choose to prioritize other elements such as framerate or scene complexity over pixel count. Xbox One is stronger than Switch but has many 720p and 900p games.

And I didn't say Odyssey's youtube trailer was indicative of resolution, I said it suggested the game ran at 60fps.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think that DF reported that ARMS was running at 1080p even in january. For now from launched 1st party games or Wii U ports, only Zelda BotW is below 1080p and still not single 720p game.

I wouldn't take Mario Odyssey YouTube trailer like proof of resolution, because thats was in January and Mario Odyssey is holiday game. I would surprised if game is 720p, because until now we saw that Switch is much more capable than Wii U and it seems that Switch has power to run Mario Odyssey at higher resolution than 720p, also it seems that Nintendo with Switch is aiming at higher resolution than 720p.

There were no games below 900p in PS4's first few months either, but there are now. As time goes on, we will likely see many Switch games running below 1080p, as some developers will choose to prioritize other elements such as framerate or scene complexity over pixel count. Xbox One is stronger than Switch but has many 720p and 900p games.

And I didn't say Odyssey's youtube trailer was indicative of resolution, I said it suggested the game ran at 60fps.

Almost all Sony 1st party games and PS3 ports are 1080p. I talk about 1st party games and Wii U ports, of course we will have Switch 3rd party games that are below 1080p.

It's expected that 3D Mario is 60fps game.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Almost all Sony 1st party games and PS3 ports are 1080p. I talk about 1st party games and Wii U ports, of course we will have Switch 3rd party games that are below 1080p.

Even first party we already have Zelda at 900p.

And if Odyssey is 60fps with graphics that good, I'll be surprised if it's 1080p.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

And if Odyssey is 60fps with graphics that good, I'll be surprised if it's 1080p.

Yes, I already wrote,  "for now from launched 1st party games or Wii U ports, only Zelda BotW is below 1080p and still not single 720p game".

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, I already wrote,  "for now from launched 1st party games or Wii U ports, only Zelda BotW is below 1080p and still not single 720p game".

You're going to be proved wrong on that. If Breath of the Wild, a Wii U port, can't hit 1080p, more demanding first party Switch games down the line will also fall short of 1080p.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

You're going to be proved wrong on that. If Breath of the Wild, a Wii U port, can't hit 1080p, more demanding first party Switch games down the line will also fall short of 1080p.

On what exatly I will be proven wrong? Port of Wii U game is not real indicator of what Switch hardware is relly capable or point that pushes Switch hardware, because Zelda BotW is made from ground with Wii U hardware on mind and to actually use strength of Wii U hardware (and actually pushed its to its limits) not Switch ones, fact that they release Zelda BotW patch that greatly improve Switch performance of game means they didnt best adopted game to Switch hardware and that further improvements are possible. It seems that Mario Odyssey will be first game that will be from ground made for Switch, so that will be much better test of Switch capabilities.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

On what exatly I will be proven wrong? Port of Wii U game is not real indicator of what Switch hardware is relly capable or point that pushes Switch hardware, because Zelda BotW is made from ground with Wii U hardware on mind and to actually use strength of Wii U hardware (and actually pushed its to its limits) not Switch ones, fact that they release Zelda BotW patch that greatly improve Switch performance of game means they didnt best adopted game to Switch hardware and that further improvements are possible. It seems that Mario Odyssey will be first game that will be from ground made for Switch, so that will be much better test of Switch capabilities.

Nintendo has already shown they are willing to release sub-1080p Switch games, it follows logically that as time goes on and games push the system further, this will happen again. We saw the same thing with PS4 and Xbox One.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nintendo has already shown they are willing to release sub-1080p Switch games, it follows logically that as time goes on and games push the system further, this will happen again. We saw the same thing with PS4 and Xbox One.

Its obvious that Nintendo is aiming higher resolution with Switch than 720p. With Wii U they aimid 720p, and at launch we had 720p 1st party games, we actuly later had few 1080p games later but not lower resolution than 720p games. And like I wrote, no, we didn't see that with PS4 1st party games, most of PS4 1st party games were 1080p at launch and they are still.

deal with it Switch ARM CPU is far from matching the great X86

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Its obvious that Nintendo is aiming higher resolution with Switch than 720p. With Wii U they aimid 720p, and at launch we had 720p 1st party games, we actuly later had few 1080p games later but not lower resolution than 720p games. And like I wrote, no, we didn't see that with PS4 1st party games, most of PS4 1st party games were 1080p at launch and they are still.

Actually, Breath of the Wild on Wii U drops below 720p; it runs at 648p in demanding areas.

As for PS4, The Order 1886 is 800p, Uncharted 4's multiplayer is 900p, and Beyond Two Souls is 817p.