By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Persona 5's Saving System...or Lack of Thereof

Ariakon said:
Xxain said:

That's exactly what it's suppose to feel like. 

Yeah, that's not exactly ideal. Persona 5 is as much about playing through the story as it is getting to new gameplay areas. It's not a huge problem, and I'm still enthralled by the game, but I really wouldn't mind an auto-save system as well. 

Your asking for autosave in a dungeon crawler? That's like asking for a slow motion mode in a bullet hell Shump. 

Around the Network
ghettoglamour said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I like that the game doesn't have autosave, that's even when I lost 3 hours of grinding because I died and hadn't saved in awhile.

And that's good?

Yes, it taught me to save frequently. 

No. I played FF since the PS1 era, platinumed P4G... I know JRPG used to be like that. But that doesn't mean it should be that way.

I thought the saving system would be modernized by now, but nope

Its even worse than 4. I feel you can die very quickly on normal if you have bad luck

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

ghettoglamour said:

No. I played FF since the PS1 era, platinumed P4G... I know JRPG used to be like that. But that doesn't mean it should be that way.

I thought the saving system would be modernized by now, but nope

Its even worse than 4. I feel you can die very quickly on normal if you have bad luck

1. Final Fantasy is not a dungeon crawler. Why are you comparing the two? 

2. Getting mauled in expected battle? Yea, sounds like a dungeon crawler. 

Regular JRPG's have never been like this. Dungeon Crawlers have always been like this, because thats the point. Preparation and knowing when to exit dungeon and save is all part of genre. The Atlus made this. The tutorial section alone of SMT4 has been blocked the progress of a lot of buyers.

This is a game that I'm glad doesn't autosave.

I'm making backup saves all the time, cause lord have mercy if I make the wrong choice on a certain day, and screw up a certain confidant.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I don't think that's a problem in this kind of games

If the game is too hard, lower the difficulty. Don't complain about a fine save system. Maybe I am tryhard, as I play on normal and my main guy takes more then 5 hits from a boss xD.

I kinda like the no auto save thingy way..... old school, manually saving becomes 2nd nature

ghettoglamour said:

How come that no one ever addresses how fucked up the saving system in this game is. The game never saves automatically, it's common that you don't get a chance to save for 30 to 45 min between cutscenes...

And the dungeons, for fuck's sake. It's the second time that after more than half an hour without being able to save, some random ass overleveled guy just obliterates the leader with two consecutives strikes. I had full health!! 40 min gone!

Look, I don't think this prevents the game from being amazing, but I don't understand how nobody addresses this huge issue, it's not 1997 anymore

I haven't played it yet but that does sound a bit frustrating (obviously not nearly enough to dissuade me from actually getting it lol). I hate to keep using this example but it's the latest game I played and I liked its system (BotW); my ideal save system is one which you never even have to think about, but if you really want to save you can do so manually. Seems like most games are doing that these days (the Bethesda games have always been very good at that).

Johnw1104 said:
ghettoglamour said:

How come that no one ever addresses how fucked up the saving system in this game is. The game never saves automatically, it's common that you don't get a chance to save for 30 to 45 min between cutscenes...

And the dungeons, for fuck's sake. It's the second time that after more than half an hour without being able to save, some random ass overleveled guy just obliterates the leader with two consecutives strikes. I had full health!! 40 min gone!

Look, I don't think this prevents the game from being amazing, but I don't understand how nobody addresses this huge issue, it's not 1997 anymore

I haven't played it yet but that does sound a bit frustrating (obviously not nearly enough to dissuade me from actually getting it lol). I hate to keep using this example but it's the latest game I played and I liked its system (BotW); my ideal save system is one which you never even have to think about, but if you really want to save you can do so manually. Seems like most games are doing that these days (the Bethesda games have always been very good at that).

That would break a dungeon crawler in half. In you are to enter a 10 floor dungeon and defeat the boss at end, being able to save every floor would kill the tension. Imagine being able hard save in the middle of Fire Emblem chapter.