By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like Remedy is 3rd party now ..

Tagged games:

Intrinsic said:
I can understand it when Sony's 2nd party partners go multiplat or even make a game exclusively for another platform. But I really can't understand what MS is thinking when they allow things like these slip through their fingers.

I am all for games for everyone and shit, and their game(s) coming to the PS4 is great and all... but I am speaking on Xbox as a platform. I don't think they can afford to have partnerships they have with the few dev teams they have left that build exclusively for them break down.

Sony has like what? 18+ independent studios that make games for them exclusively be it 1st or 2nd party. And it shows every single year with the amount of exclusive content they have. What has MS got? Halo, gears and Forza? For practically the last decade? What are those guys at redmond thinking?

Remedy didn't make Xbox exclusive games. Their games are also on PC, which according to the logic of this place, makes them virtually worthless as Xbone games. So I guess this isn't a big deal at all.

Also there's no reason why Remedy can't continue to make console exclusives for MS as they have been doing. Insomniac made games for Sony, went multiplatform, made an Xbone exclusive, and is now making another Sony exclusive. Microsoft should buy them out, or buy all their games just because? I'd rather companies like Remedy remain independent because Microsoft and Sony have both shown in the past that they can be incompetent when it comes to managing heir studios.

Around the Network

I'm happy to hear this, tho I finally bought a XBO this past Black Friday, and one of the games I was considering playing was Quantum Break. I always thought it looked intriguing. Tho the reviews deter me some.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Remedy didn't make Xbox exclusive games. Their games are also on PC, which according to the logic of this place, makes them virtually worthless as Xbone games. So I guess this isn't a big deal at all.

Also there's no reason why Remedy can't continue to make console exclusives for MS as they have been doing. Insomniac made games for Sony, went multiplatform, made an Xbone exclusive, and is now making another Sony exclusive. Microsoft should buy them out, or buy all their games just because? I'd rather companies like Remedy remain independent because Microsoft and Sony have both shown in the past that they can be incompetent when it comes to managing heir studios.

You have completely missed my point... then went on to say something that solidifies the point I was trying to make regardless.

Yes Remedy didn't make xbox exclusive games. But they made xbox platform exclusive games. And considering "the logic of this place" that still means that their games can't be played on the PS4. You don't have to buy the XB1 to play their games this  gen, but you still need a windows PC and can only buy it from the xbox store.

Now like i said in my post, I don't mind that their games (or at least somef them) are now going to be available on the PS4. Hell I am ecstatic. However, what I was saying is that MS is not in a position (software wise) to not care about bleeding out exclusives or potential exclusives like this. And these things add up in time. Its about the long term effect of decisions like these.

Just like at these first 3 months of the year.... how many exclusives has PS4 had and how many has XB1 had? I don't know.... but something about that tells me that one company is significantly more competent in managing their studios ( and let me add partnerships) than the other. And what is messed up about that is that "other" is in a position where exclusives are exactly what it needs.

I just really, really want Alan Wake 2. Most wanted game on the Xbone for awhile. I guess now it can be on PS4, too.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Intrinsic said:

You have completely missed my point... then went on to say something that solidifies the point I was trying to make regardless.

Yes Remedy didn't make xbox exclusive games. But they made xbox platform exclusive games. And considering "the logic of this place" that still means that their games can't be played on the PS4. You don't have to buy the XB1 to play their games this  gen, but you still need a windows PC and can only buy it from the xbox store.

No one missed your point. And the narrative around here tells us if a game is available on Xbox and PC then it is irrelevant as a compelling piece of Xbox software. Which means Remedy "going third party" (they were already third party) is no big deal. Your idea that Microsoft is missing studios making compelling exclusive software doesn't apply here, Remedy is third party, never made exclusive software.

If your idea of compelling software is stuff that can't be played on PS4, then Xbox has plenty of compelling software.

Intrinsic said:

Now like i said in my post, I don't mind that their games (or at least somef them) are now going to be available on the PS4. Hell I am ecstatic. However, what I was saying is that MS is not in a position (software wise) to not care about bleeding out exclusives or potential exclusives like this. And these things add up in time. Its about the long term effect of decisions like these.

This assumes that Microsoft didn't try to secure whatever Remedy is working on, and/or that Remedy was interested in making an exclusive deal. We don't know anything about either of those. This also assumes Remedy is done working on 2nd party games with Microsoft.

Also, where does this idea that Sony's own studios make tons of compelling software come from? They've relied on outside companies just as much as Microsoft. The difference in sheer numbers doesn't match up with the narrative places like this make it out to be.

Intrinsic said:

Just like at these first 3 months of the year.... how many exclusives has PS4 had and how many has XB1 had? I don't know.... but something about that tells me that one company is significantly more competent in managing their studios ( and let me add partnerships) than the other. And what is messed up about that is that "other" is in a position where exclusives are exactly what it needs.

Yes, the first three months of this year. And the 3 months before that they had... TLG? Is there something else I am missing? And those games during the first 3 months, you have three games made by Sony, a 2nd party deal for Nioh to publish outside of Japan, and 10+ 3rd party games Sony had nothing to do with. Your post is just another example of Sony getting credit for all these exclusives when in the vast majority of cases they really didn't do anything to get them. You can add partnerships if you want, the only game that applies to is Nioh. Good for Sony that they had this little stretch where lots of cool games came out. Happy for PS4 owners interested in those games. I remember them closing Evolution, though. I remember what they did to SOCOM 4 and then what they did to Zipper. Among many others. Same for Microsoft. You can rate one over the other, that's fine. I don't want either one of them touching studios like Remedy though, no thanks. Anyway I can tell this back and forth will be a waste of time so enjoy the last word :)

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

Yes, the first three months of this year. And the 3 months before that they had... TLG? Is there something else I am missing? And those games during the first 3 months, you have three games made by Sony, a 2nd party deal for Nioh to publish outside of Japan, and 10+ 3rd party games Sony had nothing to do with. Your post is just another example of Sony getting credit for all these exclusives when in the vast majority of cases they really didn't do anything to get them. You can add partnerships if you want, the only game that applies to is Nioh. Good for Sony that they had this little stretch where lots of cool games came out. Happy for PS4 owners interested in those games. I remember them closing Evolution, though. I remember what they did to SOCOM 4 and then what they did to Zipper. Among many others. Same for Microsoft. You can rate one over the other, that's fine. I don't want either one of them touching studios like Remedy though, no thanks. Anyway I can tell this back and forth will be a waste of time so enjoy the last word :)

This little stretch?

So you are trying to suggest that MS has in any way matched the PS4 with regards to exclusive output through out the entire gen???? Be it first party second or even third party.

And what  is this anyways? Even with only the last guardian sony still managed to sell more consoles than the XB1. And further more, you talk like everyone lives sin a bubble. When someone comes into this gen for the first time they aren't only looking at the games that are available on the day they are buying into the generation. They are looking at all the games that has been released and the ones that are due to release.

But to agree with you we basically will have to say, excusives don't matter at all and that MS has matched sony in exclusive output. Which simply isn't the case and not true at all.... no matter how slim a margin you want to spin it. And it matters enough to have ensured the PS4 wins this gen.

Now what I am saying, the core of my argument, is that (believe it or not) MS has a software output problem. They are just not matching sony with regards to that. We can sy sony gets japanese support by default, but MS has the power and means to secure western support. how they do it isn't our business, the important thing is that they have to do it. In no world does having fewer games every year than you biggest competitor in a given space equate to a better business strategy than having more games.

Don't even get me started on all the third party marketing deals.....

Ok, this looks like heavy off top.