By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Joy Cons cost about $90 to make!

It's hard to imagine Nintendo would be stupid enough to run up the development cost of a controller so much they'd have to sell it at a loss. But then one must look at other things Nintendo has done in the not too recent past...

Around the Network

why does a pair cost $80 at retail?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

that has to be the price if you didn't buy the parts in bulk or something. selling hardware at a loss is one thing but I just cant imagine them selling controllers at a loss too.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well my guess is of course, the size plays a factor into it. Making something smaller to fit into something is very expensive. Please don't go anywhere else with that last sentence...

The Switch is a blessing and a curse to itself in terms of design. The screen really dictates how large the controllers could be for the Switch to be appealing and thus the Joycon are really small. Fitting that much tech into such a small form factor has to cost something...

zorg1000 said:
that has to be the price if you didn't buy the parts in bulk or something. selling hardware at a loss is one thing but I just cant imagine them selling controllers at a loss too.

Switch isn't being sold at a loss...and remember, this is for a pair...not just one. They retail for $80, I'm sure Nintendo isn't dropping $90 to make these. People are panicking over estimates for no reason. Cartridges for example, probably cost a fuck ton to produce just 20 of a single cart relative to the price, but if somebody buys in bulk, the price decreases per unit, that's how it goes. I'm sure the same applies to the Joycon manufacturing process and we don't know what Nintnedo paid to have these boards and parts into the Joycon... Coming off the Wii U, I'm sure Nintendo's first priority would be to not sell at a loss...like all of their other hardware pre Wii U. 

Around the Network

Hardly, Nintendo sells them in pair for $80 and there is no way that Nintendo would sell them with loss, but I can see they cost Nintendo around $50. That would mean Switch cost Nintendo around $200, so they have solid profit with current price point.

I'm guessing they cost $10 to make. I like guessing games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I really doubt it, but if true it would be a very compelling reason for Nintendo to offer a "Switch Lite" (handheld version with non separable sticks + buttons an without rumble HD) as soon as possible.

If true they need to make a home console version of the switch, sold with a normal pro controller.

I have a hard time believeing they actually cost that much, but if true, this is nintendo screwing up the design of the controllers.

Bandorr said:
Conina said:
I really doubt it, but if true it would be a very compelling reason for Nintendo to offer a "Switch Lite" (handheld version with non separable sticks + buttons an without rumble HD) as soon as possible.

Remove the Joycons, the dock, the screen and give me a little box that plugs into my TV.

Call it the "Stay With It Together Its Home" and sold!

You forgot removing the battery. ;)

Yeah, a not portable version with the same performance and the pro controller should be even cheaper to make.

• normal Switch (portable + docking station + joy-cons) = $299
  • handheld Switch (portable + connectable to TV with HDMI... similar to the later PSP models) = $199
  • home Switch (little box with power supply + HDMI cable + Pro controller) = $199

This way home console fans who don't need the portable option and handheld fans who don't need the docking comfort + rumble effects wouldn't have to pay for features they don't need.