Have the most powerful console 18 8.07%

Competition with PC (Steam) 33 14.80%

Make money from double dipping 92 41.26%

No more generations going forth 13 5.83%

Other 12 5.38%

Total:223
SvennoJ said:
Jazz2K said:

I kinda agree that they want most people to pay for both PSN and XBLive because these services generate lots of money and the big goal here would be to convinve PC gamers to pay for these services... which I doubt will ever happen.

But let's not forget they make more money when people buy games and then buy DLCs than just paying for Xbox Live or PSN.

True, but only if they buy from the windows 10 store. (Unless it's 1st party ofcourse) Multiplat games sell very little on the windows 10 store, better to keep those gamers on the XBox One then trying to make money from them on the PC.

I think MS will be more patient this time with Windows 10 Store. When there are more AAA games in the store people will slowly get in. Just like EA Access the more games in the vault, the tougher it is to resist when you have and X1. Also Game Pass will also be on PC once there are enough games in the store.

Around the Network

The biggest reason for me has to be making money for double dipping,

/end thread

I think it's mostly due to changing consumer expectations. The phone and tablet market - and the DS ecosystem - have made users accustomed to more frequent hardware updates. Things seem older, quicker now. PS4 Pro is the "s" of PlayStation's iPhone cycle.

RolStoppable said:
LurkerJ said:
You are right, of course. PC game is getting more affordable and accessible every year, and with the big three charging for online, it's foolish not consider it as THE cheaper alternative.

SONY specifically said the same thing at one point but little attention was paid to their statements.

"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had," House told the publication. "We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]."

You are 50% correct.

Sony said it themselves, the PC is the reason for the PS4 Pro. PlayStation is PC gaming. Xbox is PC gaming as well.

Now this is where you are wrong.

Nintendo is not PC gaming, therefore PCs do not work as substitutes. This means that Nintendo does not need a mid-gen refresh for their hardware to make all previous and future Switch games look better, because the main reasons to buy Nintendo hardware aren't available on any other platform.

Nintendo doesn't need a defensive strategy against the PC. Sony needs it. Microsoft is fine either way, because most computers are going to use Windows; hence why Xbox won't even get exclusive games anymore, because it's not important enough.

I obviously agree, and with the Switch, Nintendo is objectively offering irreplaceable software and hardware experience in one single product.

Around the Network

Nintendo started this fad though.

A lot of you are missing the point with the "IT'S JUST FOR DA MONEY" kind of posts.

SvennoJ is obviously acknowledging that it's about the money, he's just turning your attention to the fact it's NOT money gained by selling the new hardware that pushed either SONY or MS to release products for the PRO user, both companies are more concerned about keeping PSN/XBL money flowing to their pockets.

Yes, it's money either case, but one can safely assume that a single year of subscription fees bring in more profits than the barely profitable Scorpios and Pros.