By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Scorpio next gen?

No.

Around the Network

Where is the poll? I feel a need to click a button about this subject.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Halfway to next gen.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Radek said:
Johnw1104 said:
I think we're going to have to stop trying to place things in set "generations". The industry has moved on from the concept.

How? Switch is next generation compared to Wii U and Sony said they still believe in generations so PS5 will come out.

I think it works well enough to consider generations within one manufacturer's history, but it doesn't work very well when you try to organize all consoles into specific generations. Everyone has their own ideas of what should constitute a "generation", and Sony/Microsoft in consoles and Nintendo in handhelds (and I assume they'll do so with the Switch as well) have been increasingly adopting a mobile approach to their upgrades as opposed to the massive leapfrogging they used to do.

Of course it isn't.

Around the Network

Just stop this next gen nonsense. It gets annoying when people say what next gen is and what not by their own made up definitions.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I think Next Gen needs games that are built for it from the ground up not upgraded or enhanced. That's why a lot of the remastered games can't compete with latest games if though they running at better fps and resolutions. When GTA VI comes out, do you think it will be at the same level of the PS4 version of GTAV. No, it will be miles better.

No. My PC is next gen though.

It's certainly no full step up in magnitude from the Xbone, and it doesn't have any new input/output capabilities, or any new games.

That said, the Switch isn't really a big step up in power from Wii U either, but it could be labeled next gen in the sense that it indeed is Nintendo's new flagship console.

So I think it could really go either way. I wouldn't be against counting it as part of the 9th gen.

bigtakilla said:

Let's get to the meat and potatos, and cut the bs.

It can run games at native 4k, while the Xbone is 900p in most cases (skipping 1080p, 2k, better than 2k but not 4k checkerboarding, and going straight to 4k), while Wii U to Switch IS a gen change going from 700p to 900p. This is a vastly bigger leap for Microsoft in every possible way. Even doing this, Digital Foundry says a lot of the simpler games running at native 4k may even have overhead for better effects. So where do you stand. a console being the weakest of the two jumping ahead of its competition and its mid gen upgrade, will it need an xbone2 in a year or two, or more like several?

Nah. It has the same cpu and gpu as the PS4 Pro, only higher clocked and with 4 CUs extra.

If they went with Ryzen and Vega, that would be next gen. Also it would need games to show for it. Rendering Fohza 6 in 4K isn't the next generation of consoles.