By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SwitchCharge - A New Battery Case For Nintendo Switch

Soundwave said:
If this could run docked performance portably, I'd be in.

That doesnt make sense. The games run at the same FPS with higher resolution in docked mode, how can you have higher resolution portably if the screen is 720P?

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Just imagine if Nintendo actually put a decent battery into the system... This wouldn't be needed. Should have been at least 8,000 mAh.

Well I don't know how 8,000 mAh is considered decent, that's almost over double what you'd exect to find in a small portable device, 8,000 mAh sounds like overkill compared to what would people would expect the battery size to be. If Nintendo put a bigger battery than the 4,310 mAh battery the Switch would need to be much bigger in size, because the current battery takes up all the free space they could spare. 3 to 6 hours is pretty decent anyways for a typical play session and it's on power with over devices such as the 3DS and Vita. The main problem is the games the Nintendo Switch are running are AAA home console quality titles and are very power demanding. You can see this when you can get almost double the battery life when playing Shovel knight than when playing Breath of the Wild.

Tryklon said:
Soundwave said:
If this could run docked performance portably, I'd be in.

That doesnt make sense. The games run at the same FPS with higher resolution in docked mode, how can you have higher resolution portably if the screen is 720P?

Same way you can still run PS4 games on a 720p only TV ... the resolution will be 720p sure, but you'd get the other benefits like better frame rate, graphical detail, etc. DQ Heroes I + II for example on Switch has a much better frame rate docked and there probably will be many games like that. 

I wonder how long this battery gets you when brightness is at 100% (they are saying 12 hours at 30% brightness)? I have to imagine if you were out and about with your switch that you would not have it cranked all the way down to 30% brightness ....

Tryklon said:
sethnintendo said:

Funny because I purchased the higher capacity Wii U gamepad battery from Nintendo and it fit right in the slot.  Almost like they planned on it all along.  The form factor wouldn't have been altered in my opinion.

The simple fact that the Switch is locked and battery not changeable, kills the "planned upgrade" theory. They did what they could with the space they had.

Oh the Switch battery is soldered to the board?

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Tryklon said:

The simple fact that the Switch is locked and battery not changeable, kills the "planned upgrade" theory. They did what they could with the space they had.

Not sure if soldered, but it's glued to the inside and opening the console voids warranty, so yes, it shows there is no interest from Nintendo in profiting from selling bigger batteries.

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3

Oh God! That Video was Gold! XD

It's actually quite a cool idea, but It's just, they try sooooo hard to be real grown-up businessman!
It reminds me a lot of the presentations that happen when people from my uni try to pitch games to bigger publishers or the Apple store guys.

I'd back that if i had money right now, wich I don't.

I avoid crowd funding like plague.

Tryklon said:
sethnintendo said:

Not sure if soldered, but it's glued to the inside and opening the console voids warranty, so yes, it shows there is no interest from Nintendo in profiting from selling bigger batteries.

It's not soldered in and looks pretty easily replacable all things considered (as long as you know what you're doing), but the thing is that there is just no physical space in the Switch for a bigger battery. They put the biggest possible battery they could in there. It takes up slightly over half the unit already.

Plus like Tryklon said, opneing the unit voids warranty, it's not meant to be user-replacable.

sethnintendo said:
Just imagine if Nintendo actually put a decent battery into the system... This wouldn't be needed. Should have been at least 8,000 mAh.

The Switch's battery takes up a lot of internal space, so 4310 mAh is probably not far from the limit of what could be doable in that size. 8000 mAh sounds like a real stretch, and even if they managed it, it would drive the price up noticeably. Besides, outside of Zelda battery life in games is actually pretty good at a pretty good brightness, and if you're not playing online aeroplane mode can also save up some juice. This isn't really needed for most people anyways.