By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii Vs. Playstation 2 Sales

We all know the advantage that Nintendo Wii has over the Playstation 3, and Xbox 360, in terms of sales. It is probable that the Nintendo Wii will dominate this generation, mainly because of its low coast, great games, and innovation. However, if Nintendo truely wants to take the video game crown back from Sony, they can't just outsell the Playstation 3, but also the Playstation 2.

While many people speculate that the Nintendo Wii will dominate this generation, does anyone think that it has what it takes to dominate the last generation, and outsell the Playstation 2's total, world-wide sales figure?

I think it will. What about you?

Around the Network

i think it depends on the life span of the wii in 7 years: possible in 5 years: no (maybe 7 years is still too less)

No way. PS2 was an impressive piece of hardware when arrived. It was a real "next gen". Wii is just GC with some upgrades. No fuel for a long race. It sells well mostly because of low price,  hype and new controls.  PS2 is at 120 million tag right now and it still sells. Wii with 1 million units sold every month for 9 years? No way. It will not happen.

Let's do the math if it continued at current pace... 7,310,000/6 = 1,218,333.33 Now if we assume it went like that 1,218,333 is the average per month so far 1,218,333 x 12 = 14,619,996 assuming sales didn't change, so 10,000,000 - 12,000,000 would be a conservative(kinda low in my opinion) guess given Nintendo has done well to hold of some big titles to encite sales during Summer Fall and then there's the Christmas season.

If we want to be extremely generous we could assume they could carry on the incredible amount of hype for the year giving them an impressive 14-15,000,000 in the first year.

Now taking into account price drops, holidays, the people that can't find one, upped production. I have a feeling that Wii could surpass the PS2 eclipsing it's sales in less time then it took the PS2. Also there's the factor of any console changes in well color, DVD capability, this might result in some people who own one, purchasing yet another, there are people that do this after all. I'd say 5-7 years, if at all.

also in reply to

Kber81, PS2 was the second console in it's generation Dreamcast was the true first to the "Next gen" in that go. Also I'm fairly sure it was as good if not better in terms of power at least I always thought so but  I could be wrong about this.

souixan said:

Kber81, PS2 was the second console in it's generation Dreamcast was the true first to the "Next gen" in that go. Also I'm fairly sure it was as good if not better in terms of power at least I always thought so but I could be wrong about this.

I'm not saying PS2 was first or the most powerful. I meant it was much more powerful than PSX. You can't say the same about GC and Wii.

Around the Network
kber81 said:
souixan said:

Kber81, PS2 was the second console in it's generation Dreamcast was the true first to the "Next gen" in that go. Also I'm fairly sure it was as good if not better in terms of power at least I always thought so but I could be wrong about this.

I'm not saying PS2 was first or the most powerful. I meant it was much more powerful than PSX. You can't say the same about GC and Wii.

I can say that the Wii is more powerfull then the Game cube based on the fact that it has A. Faster Processor B. More Video Memory and in general is better all around. It is superior to the Game cube in all ways under the hood.

Actually it's the same relative jump we've seen in PS1-> Ps2 NES -> SNES -> N64 etc PS3 and Xbox360 went far beyond the typical jumps trying to compete with PC's, at least I assume so.

It is superior. Barely. PS2 was much more powerful than it's predecessor. It was obvious. With Wii-Sports it isn't obvious at all.

Mostly because Wii sports is basically a tech demo, it wasn't made to use the systems power so much as a demo for developers to show the motion sensing off. It was made for that purpose, and not originally intended to be released as a game.

it would have to sell 2 million a month for the next 56.5 months to catch up to todays PS2 numbers. Can it surpass PS2 world-wide sales, no. Why well. PS2 is still the second best selling console worldwide. Wiis competition is alot better then PS2s ever was. Wii lacks the massive 3rd party backing PS2 had. Wiis comp is alot more future proof, the more time goes the better they get. The way PS2 is going it has chance of doing 150 million before production finally ends.

Kber, were comparing the consoles not the games. Wii sports is unrelated, its like me picking out a ps2 game with shitty graphics and a ps1 game with great graphics and comparing them. Under the hood the Wii is decently superior to the GC, not barely. On topic. It would rely on the Wii beating both its competitors into submission, if it can do that then sure, why the hell not. There clearly is enough interest in the console to get it there. If one of the consoles (my bets on x360 for this) manages to grab enough or a dominant marketshare however the Wii stands no chance of claiming itself the title of best selling console of all time. It'll be interesting, we should have an idea by this time next year of whether or not it can possibly do it.