By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Mummy 2017 is what the Uncharted Movie should be.

My best so far was when I killed a Yiga clan assassin in the rain, only for one of those wind cleaver bastards to then spawn. I tried to run away, but his wind cleaver attack chased me down and took me out. (Any way to avoid those btw?) The zora revival power saved me, but the Yiga guy was closing in to finish the job; there was nowhere to run, and I wouldn't survive another hit. Then, out of the blue, a lightning bolt struck and killed my attacker, saving my skin.

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
onionberry said:

Looks like mindless fun just like uncharted. A video game movie is not going to be better than this, we should accept that fact and wish for something like this (at least) 

I rather just watch the Indianna Jones Trilogy.

There is forth movie you know. Staring an old Harrison Ford, Shia LaBeuf and CGI Monkeys. So its a tetralogy. Just a small reminder. Just in case you forgot/ignored... for some unknown reason.  And soon (2019) it will be a pentalogy.  >_>

Hunting Season is done...

"X action movie with mythological elements is what the Uncharted movie should be." That's basically what you're saying.

There's no room for a Nate Drake movie based on any of the Uncharted game stories, because there are already movies that fit within the genre in existence / coming up. So no one should even bother trying.

There is actually no reason at all that any of the Uncharted games couldn't be made into a movie that sits comfortably in this genre and that is above average among all the movies that fit in this genre.

What video game adaptations mostly lack are:
1) writers who actually care about and respect the source, and who are actually good writers
2) directors who actually care about and respect the source, and who are actually good directors

The basic premise of Uncharted 1 and 2 (3 and 4 to a lesser extent) are very simple and easy treatments to pitch as good movie ideas. Their only handicap is the fact that the ideas were made into video games first. So Hollywood snobs are reflexively dismissive and the top Hollywood talent is not interested in being associated with such projects. Especially not since Prince of Persia went down in flames, which was only because it was given a ridiculously high production budget.

Video game adaptations need to be headed up by Hollywood talent who are also game enthusiasts. They should never be headed up by game enthusiasts who think they can be / are Hollywood talent.

I thought with video games becoming pretty mainstream in the 6th generation that creative talent would be through by now who can do video game adaptations justice. But it seems like that ideal talent pool is yet to emerge.

Chis Pratt is the obvious number 1 fan casting choice for Nate Drake. But he may be a little over exposed. Channing Tatum is actually also a pretty good option, his comedic credentials are not bad for a hunky hearthrob sort.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

RolStoppable said:
There is going to be another The Mummy? I watched the third movie a few months ago and thought this series would be done for. The plot and story was ridiculously thin and it was one long action sequence after another to reach movie length. It didn't even have Rachel Weisz and it's never a good sign when an established character is played by a new actor/actress.

This is a hard(?) reboot. Which is a 50/50 proposition at best.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I much prefer the Brendan Fraser version of the movies. 2 hours of Tom Cruise running......fun!

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I rather just watch the Indianna Jones Trilogy.

There is forth movie you know. Staring an old Harrison Ford, Shia LaBeuf and CGI Monkeys. So its a tetralogy. Just a small reminder. Just in case you forgot/ignored... for some unknown reason.  And soon (2019) it will be a pentalogy.  >_>

No it's a trilogy. A 4th movie never happned. Only the illuminati wants us to believe ther eis a 4th.

SegataSanshiro said:
Zoombael said:

No it's a trilogy. A 4th movie never happned. Only the illuminati wants us to believe ther eis a 4th.

I agree, thats like saying there was a Star Wars 1,2 and 3...NEVER happened. The prequals and Jar Jar NEVER happend. (Runs away crying)

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

Ew. No way. This movie looks terrible.

As somone who quite enjoyed Mummy movies of late 90s/early 00s (for what they are, popcorn flicks)...oh dear, this really looks terrible with no charm of the originals.

The "originals" would be the 1930s Mummy Universal films, lol.

The first Brendan Fraser Mummy was a surprisingly fun homage to the 30s Universal monster movies. Fraser and Weisz had good chemistry. The second was kinda crappy, the third was full on crap.

This is a complete reboot from that and a starring vehicle for Tom Cruise. It looks a lot more "serious", whether that approach will work who knows.