By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Videogamer article: Why the PS3 doesn't need a price cut...

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/13-03-2008-337.html

I could tell from reading the article that this European website is obviously biased heavily towards the PS3, but it was still interesting and I was curious to see what you guys would think. Is there really a need for a price cut in 2008?

Around the Network

The fact that they pad the list by putting "games" as two different sections certainly says something. :|

LongLiveTheBeatles said:

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/13-03-2008-337.html

I could tell from reading the article that this European website is obviously biased heavily towards the PS3, but it was still interesting and I was curious to see what you guys would think. Is there really a need for a price cut in 2008?

The truth has a bias.

It's like Colbert says: "Facts have a liberal bias."  Or something.

In Europe they really care whether shit breaks down or not. 

Home? Ten year plan? Wow, this is actually a pretty bad list and almost has no relevance to the PS3's price.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

10: Disagree. The average gamer still doesn't play games online. Also, PS3 has always been free online wise, so this isn't going to change the dynamic any.

9: Agree, possibly. It depends how it works out really. At worst it should have a very loyal small niche group who will spend a lot of time there.  So it'll help.  It's just a matter to see how much.

8. Disagree, Brand Loyalty is strongest among the poor. Who need things to cost less. Most brand loyalty is going to be lost during a price gap. Brand Loyalty is becoming less and less important as well due to the internet. There are two kinds of brand loyalty. The Apple (I buy apples because they are cool!) loyalty... and I buy Sony because I've had their products before and know they are good. With time and ways to research products, and Brand loyalty doesn't mean anything.

7. Agree. For the short term anyway. Long term wise it may hurt them.

6. Disagree. Nintendo supported the gamecube too. I don't see people buying PS3's when the PS4 is out, like how people were buying the PS3. I see it happening more like people are buying the gamecube now that the wii is out... exactly. Sure it's got blu-ray, but by then you gotta think there will be cheaper blu-ray platforms.

5. Disagree. The PS3's lineup isn't diverse enough yet in my opinion and only hits a few demographics. That should mostly be fixed by the end of this year, though the PS3 will still be hurting in categories like RPGs. Not everybody likes EVERY game.

4. Agree. Though not until blu-ray makes a lot more serious inroads. The early adopters mostly will want Blu-ray players so they can show off their blu-ray players. Showing off your PS3 as your blu-ray player really doesn't come off as impressive, which a lot of early adopters go for.

3. Agree. Though a price cut would help maximize the sales potential drummed up by said games.

2. Disagree. Almost nobody buys things based on potential... Why? See Ryan Leaf. Potential means nothing on it's own. A potentional millionare still can't buy a cup of coffee if he doesn't have any real money.

1. Disagree. This isn't new. Just like online, It's not like RROD is getting worse. So it's not going to affect sales anymore then it's already effecting them.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
Home? Ten year plan? Wow, this is actually a pretty bad list and almost has no relevance to the PS3's price.

Yeah the concept of "need" here is wonky.

Sony has the luxury of making a choice, from here on out, between lowering prices and increasing sales that way, or keeping the same price and selling at current rates.

They are making money per console sold now.  They keep cutting costs further so the margin will keep increasing.  There is no NEED whatsoever.

there is NO need for a price cut RIGHT NOW.
it seems the PS3 is able to compete everywhere but Japan, so it is fine.
But a little price cut later this year (50$) could allow Sony to increase their sales greatly and protect them from losing too much money.

Games are coming this year (who said MGS4 ?) and people (hardcore) can pay a lot of money to play to good games.

A bundle for xmas : 40gb + Motorstorm2 + dual shock3 for 350$/euros would be nice.

Time to Work !

The poor US economy is doing more than just hurting American interests -- it's threatening the chance of a PS3 price cut too.
PS3 price cut

Can I get a what what? How 'bout a price cut then?

Economics and video games rarely intersect unless you're playing SimCity or an RTS, but nevertheless today's poor US economy could be taking a PS3 price cut off the table for 2008.

Basically, the US dollar stinks right now, while the Japanese yen is surging. How does this affect you? Well, if you're one of those gamers who's waited to buy a PS3 because of price, and thinks that the 2007 Sony price cuts will continue in 2008, the future isn't looking as inexpensive as you might have hoped.

U.K.-based gaming pub GameIndustry.biz reported today that the current economic conditions described above could impact the Sony's ability to offer any further price cuts on the PlayStation 3 in the foreseeable future. Sony, for its part, says it has a plan in place to deal with it.

"As to the situation of the US dollar's weakness in the medium to long term, we already have a strategy to deal with it," said Ryoji Chubachi, Sony president. "We will lower our production costs as possible as we can and we will choose production sites to cope with the industry's weakness, and in the short term, we will try to accept more orders."

In layman's terms, that means you can expect to see the PS3 SKU price points pretty much set in stone for the remainder of 2008.

^Weak US economy to blame for low chance of PS3 price cut. Blame BUSH for the poor economy and disastrous US currency on foreign exchange market.

Kasz216 said:
10: Disagree. The average gamer still doesn't play games online. Also, PS3 has always been free online wise, so this isn't going to change the dynamic any.

9: Agree, possibly. It depends how it works out really. At worst it should have a very loyal small niche group who will spend a lot of time there.  So it'll help.  It's just a matter to see how much.

8. Disagree, Brand Loyalty is strongest among the poor. Who need things to cost less. Most brand loyalty is going to be lost during a price gap. Brand Loyalty is becoming less and less important as well due to the internet. There are two kinds of brand loyalty. The Apple (I buy apples because they are cool!) loyalty... and I buy Sony because I've had their products before and know they are good. With time and ways to research products, and Brand loyalty doesn't mean anything.

7. Agree. For the short term anyway. Long term wise it may hurt them.

6. Disagree. Nintendo supported the gamecube too. I don't see people buying PS3's when the PS4 is out, like how people were buying the PS3. I see it happening more like people are buying the gamecube now that the wii is out... exactly. Sure it's got blu-ray, but by then you gotta think there will be cheaper blu-ray platforms.

5. Disagree. The PS3's lineup isn't diverse enough yet in my opinion and only hits a few demographics. That should mostly be fixed by the end of this year, though the PS3 will still be hurting in categories like RPGs. Not everybody likes EVERY game.

4. Agree. Though not until blu-ray makes a lot more serious inroads. The early adopters mostly will want Blu-ray players so they can show off their blu-ray players. Showing off your PS3 as your blu-ray player really doesn't come off as impressive, which a lot of early adopters go for.

3. Agree. Though a price cut would help maximize the sales potential drummed up by said games.

2. Disagree. Almost nobody buys things based on potential... Why? See Ryan Leaf. Potential means nothing on it's own. A potentional millionare still can't buy a cup of coffee if he doesn't have any real money.

1. Disagree. This isn't new. Just like online, It's not like RROD is getting worse. So it's not going to affect sales anymore then it's already effecting them.

Do you actually have some evidence to back that statement up?

Personally, I know quite a few wealthy people who stick to purchasing the same brands, TV's, Car's, Even flying with the same airlines.

While at the other end of the spectrum, I also know a few not-so-wealthy people who couldn't care less what products they purchase as long as they work.

"who need things to cost less?"- Perhaps you're mistaking strong sales at a low pricepoint for 'brand loyalty'?

My personal experiences completly contradict your statement, so I'd be interested to see if there are some reports, proof about this matter.