By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Kinda funny continues to bleed subscribers. Loose over 6,000 dollors on Patreon.

Normchacho said:
tyig said:
What is this channel? Contextualize me. What happened and why?

Hmmm okay. So, Kinda Funny are a group of former IGN guys who broke off to do their own thing on Youtube. They do content mostly about video games and other forms of pop culture and media.

A couple of weeks ago one of their founders tweeted out a joke that some people found to be in bad taste, it was honestly a pretty benign joke, but some people didn't take it that well, and he didn't really handle his reaction to that very well. This led to a big fight between people who supported him and people who didn't. Some people got pretty nasty in their defense of Colin, which propted another member of the group (Tim) to say that those weren't the kind of fans KF wanted.

Eventually, Greg Miller (another founder, and majority owner of KF) had to put out a statement. In it, he basically said that he personally thought the joke was in poor taste, but they had all made worse jokes in their content, and that the lack of context on Twitter made things way worse than they would have otherwise been. He wrapped up by saying that friends don't have to agree all the time, that Colin understands the consiquences that his words may have, and that they will try to do better at fostering a positive community going forward.

Fast forward a few days, and Colin announces that he's leaving KF. He's on their daily Twitch stream for a bit that day and they talk about him wanting to break off and focus more on politics and history with his content (which is the direction he had been moving in for a while. He had just recently been on Glenn Becks show, as well as the Rubin Report) and that him leaving was mostly not because of the twitter thing.

People don't take it that well. There are a bunch of people who say he was forced out, and that they threw him under the bus, and that KF gave in to PC SJW's and whatever. They claimed that Tim wanted him gone and that they didn't want anyone who didn't agree with their political beliefs around...

Over the next few days Colin does the Rubin Report, and the Joe Rogan Show where they talk about it and he mentions feeling like people he's known for a long time didn't have his back (all but calling out at least one person who he helped get started at IGN) and his supporters take this as him having a falling out with the guys at KF.

Greg and the other KF guys insist that this isn't the case and claim that they're all still friends (Colin says that they're still friends on the Twitch stream, but hasn't said much about KF since) . It's also worth pointing out that he's going to be back on one of their main podcasts on tuesday (though it won't go up until next week I think) to promote his new venture and talk about his time at KF and say goodbye and such.

It's a big mess, but it will die out. Oh, and I can give you sources for most of what I posted here if you'd like.

I get it now, thank you. 

But war... war never changes

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
JRPGfan said:

Because Colen told a mom & dad joke..... and then they  threw him under the bus.

Part of it is SJW's crying over the joke, but I suspect alot just didnt like how Colen was treated afterwards.

Thx for explaining it.

What was the joke was it really offensive?

I...wouldn't take this as really an explaination of what's going on. Not to talk myself up, but read my post on it.

And no, not at all really. On international womens day he posted "Ahh, peace and quiet #Adaywithoutawoman". Which isn't really offensive, but Colin has a bit of a habit of trying to rile people up, which tends to amplify the reaction to anything he says.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

TheWPCTraveler said:
binary solo said:

It's laughable that someone thinks the US has been taken over by a "weaponised form of Marxism".

Read up on Antonio Gramsci, and come back to me. In fact, how about you pick a bunch of colleges and universities at random, and look at their curricula in the humanities and the arts.

Lol. 

Weaponised marxism is such a nonsense term, even discounting the fact that the US political and economic system bears no relation to what could conceivably fit within a definition of weaponised Marxism.

How about you come back to me when the US federal govt announces a policy of nationalising all manufacturing and agricultural production. Then we can talk about a Marxist take over.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

If I put forward my own reason for unsubscribing, it was because without Col that channel has pretty much become a Sony circle-jerk. Well, It already was, but now it feels even worse. I guess that's what happens when you un-diversify.

Is the same reason I unsubscribed to ScrewAttack around 2011, as it had lost many of its members (Tom, Destin, Jared, Jose, Corey). Craig was just too much of an old school Nintendo fan.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
If I put forward my own reason for unsubscribing, it was because without Col that channel has pretty much become a Sony circle-jerk. Well, It already was, but now it feels even worse. I guess that's what happens when you un-diversify.

Is the same reason I unsubscribed to ScrewAttack around 2011, as it had lost many of its members (Tom, Destin, Jared, Jose, Corey). Craig was just too much of an old school Nintendo fan.

I mean, they were always a Sony focused channel, but I don't see how Colin leaving makes it more so? He was one half of their PS podcast...Nick doesn't really play games, and Tim is a Nintendo guy. It's just Greg now who's plays mostly on Playstation.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Now everytime someone is oversensitive about something a bunch of people call them communists and marxists, is like there is some kind of anti-intellectualism wave going on, because this level of logic is so low is hard to believe.

" I truly think the USSR and the KGB managed to set the steps in motion to take down the US, before the wall came down, with a weaponized form of Maxist ideals and it may have taken a generation and a half to start seeing the effects but, to me, it is now becoming very apparent."

Tell me this is a fucking joke, please.

Forget it.

The PS5 Exists. 

More like a weaponized form of exaggeration.

It's now at the point where I just sit back and be amused by it all.

Someone says something on social media that really means nothing. Some people get mad over it and try to turn it into a big deal. Hitler is often mentioned. Others join the parade by trying to make a big deal out of other people trying to make a big deal, which makes it into an even bigger deal. Political agendas are usually brought into play at this point and the usual brainless stereotypes are thrown around. This is when we usually get a quote from someone who insists that people complaining on twitter is a plot to destroy democracy or a sign of the end times.

I subscribed to Kinda Funny when the guys left IGN. But then I saw a video talking about the swallowing jizz and I unsubscribed.

Good luck to Colin, anything else for him seems better.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Normchacho said:
FunFan said:

I mean, they were always a Sony focused channel, but I don't see how Colin leaving makes it more so? He was one half of their PS podcast...Nick doesn't really play games, and Tim is a Nintendo guy. It's just Greg now who's plays mostly on Playstation.

Is a matter of perception. I saw Greg and Colin as being the main members of the cast, and while Colin definitely seemed biased towards Sony I didn't perceived him as a Sony you-know-what.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)