By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Bait and Switch

Are you implying that nintendo is doing the same with the switch? they shipped 2.5 million consoles, that's already more than what sony ps4 sold in it's first month which was 2.1 million. http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2013&end_year=2015&console=PS4

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network

I wonder what would happen if Nintendo offered a line of Retro Consoles .... but here's the catch .... they have the Tegra X1 processor inside of them instead.

You can get the "shell" of a NES, SNES, N64, or GameCube ....

Comes with 5-6 ROMs pre-installed (or 2-3 in GameCube's case). $129.99? Can play Switch software, but you have to buy the Joy Cons separately.

I do see how this could work out for the Switch, as long as they don't limit the stocks for the Switch :p

If they try pulling this on the Switch, it would only hurt them in the long run

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

JWeinCom said:
["They wanted to get attention. Attention for the Switch. Now this may not make that much sense in a smaller scale."

"The used the NES Mini as tool to garner a bit more profit for the company and increase brand awareness. When they saw the huge demand, they honestly did not know what to do."]

("They want to avoid conversations about the NES Classic or bringing it up because that ecosystem is a closed ecosystem...")

So... they want to use the NES Classic to increase brand awareness... but they don't want to talk about the NES Classic or bring it up... ok.

Its very weird that you extracted those specific lines from completely different ideas of the post and formulated that line of thought. It's the equivalent of selective hearing. Let me put it back into the original context.

They released the NES Classic in the holidays. Well before they sold the Switch. They did this to get brand awareness and decent profit during the holiday season. The same holiday season when there was nothing really software wise for the Wii U. This is all in the past. 

This link, which I had in the Reggie pic, reconfirms what I said. 

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/reggie-says-nintendo-didnt-expect-such-high-demand-for-the-nes-classic-edit

They currently do not want to talk about it because their focus is on the Switch, the product with a continuous suppply of software, instead of the Classic, the  cheaper retro console with fixed software. 

So instead of putting emphasis on the Classic or talking more than bit about it at a time, they are currently, near nonstop, talking about the Switch. Since the release of the the Switch, and even since the January conference.

It's not selective hearing so much as trying to figure out what the point of this rambing is.

They want to emphasize the product that their future literally is depending on rather than the novelty product they made?  Well, sure, but that falls under the category of "no shit sherlock".  I can't figure out how this is a bait and switch in any sense of the term.

RolStoppable said:
Numbers to support this theory would have been nice. As it is, the NES Classic is yet another example of Nintendo looking down on the quality of their old works and believing that only nostalgia could sell those games. Of course the NES Classic was made to raise brand awareness, but this strategy that you put forward (people not being able to get a $60 product will choose to pay $360 for another product instead) is way too far out there. Sony's strategy for the Switch launch was a lot more sound than that (can't get a Switch, buy a PS4 for €199 instead).

Also, we always get this "artificial scarcity" conspiracy theory only about Nintendo, even right now when Sony's PS4 Pro and PS VR are supposedly constantly out of stock or hard to find.

I was pretty comfortable with what I already had, but yeah I guess numbers would be a bit more satisfying so I'll try to bring in some later when I have substantial amount. 

I could've been a bit clearer. I'm not trying to suggest that people will flock to the Switch if they can't get the Classic, but rather Nintendo would rather focus on a single market after getting attention from the Classic during the holiday season. It was always meant as a tool for get more relevancy from the public eye akin to mobile devices. I don't think it was artificial scarcity, I just think the idea was to only sell through the holiday, but the demand was just unexpected, so it just putsthem in a place where they need to make demand for a product that was always intended to be a limited run. Unlike Amiibos which were always intended to have a longterm run despite similar unexpected demand. The (hopefully coming soon) virtual console on the Switch is one factor, for example, why they may not want to focus on selling the Classic. I know that is a bit of an apples and oranges example, but I'll try to get come back with extra detals.

I always find the whole PSVR and Pro defense of limited supply but the attack on Nintendo for artificial scarcity funny, but I don't really talk about things I have much interest in (PSVR and Pro). Though it would be pretty interesting if someone brought it up.

F.Scofield said:
Are you implying that nintendo is doing the same with the switch? 

... No.

I'm saying that they don't want to focus on the Classic but rather the Switch. I don't even mention the Switch shipment.

JWeinCom said:

It's not selective hearing

Yeah it is. I can perfectly understand if someone misinterpreted what I said to a certain degree. What you did, however was take snippits from different paragraphs, one from literally the middle of one, put them together and put them in a completely different context.

Not understanding the bait and switch thing, I can somewhat understand if someone skimmed through what I said (especially in your case). It's not really about it being a bait and switch.

Bait: getting the attention of a wider audience with the Classic.

Switch: ... the Switch.

As for the "no shit sherlock" thing. I basically end the post saying the same thing albiet so at this point I know you are only reconfirming that you only selectively read anything and made up your own narration.

it reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/wNgJzhoqjNs?t=33s

Around the Network

JWeinCom said:

It's not selective hearing

Yeah it is. I can perfectly understand if someone misinterpreted what I said to a certain degree. What you did, however was take snippits from different paragraphs, one from literally the middle of one, put them together and put them in a completely different context.

Not understanding the bait and switch thing, I can somewhat understand if someone skimmed through what I said (especially in your case). It's not really about it being a bait and switch.

Bait: getting the attention of a wider audience with the Classic.

Switch: ... the Switch.

As for the "no shit sherlock" thing. I basically end the post saying the same thing albiet so at this point I know you are only reconfirming that you only selectively read anything and made up your own narration.

it reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/wNgJzhoqjNs?t=33s

Did you literally take out one line of my post to accuse me of selective hearing..?  If that was a joke, I like it.  If not, lol.

In the beginning you're talking about how Nintendo is using the NES Classic specifically to build awareness for the Switch.  Yet at the time, they had only vaguely mentioned the Switch, and weren't talking about it at all really.

Then you're talking about how they stopped mentioning the NES Classic when the Switch came out (although I'm not sure what they could have really said about it at that point anyway).

If the NES Classic was being used as a bait for the Switch, then there would have to be some kind of overlap in the marketing, some kind of connection that Nintendo was trying to draw, or some way that Nintendo was trying to upsell potential NES Classic buyers to the Switch.  There would have to be some kind of link that Nintendo was forming between them.  They would have to, in some capacity, be talking about both at the same time.  

You are claiming that they were using the NES Classic to drive Switch sales.  Pointing out that they stopped talking about the NES Classic well over a month before the Switch released completely defeats your own premise.  The fact that they are from different paragraphs doesn't change that.  An argument has to be logicaly coherent between paragraphs.  You don't take the bait out of the water a month before you want to catch the fish.

And none of this is remotely a bait and switch.  Bait and Switch is advertising one product to drive people to a store, and then having it at a higher than advertised price or trying to upsell.  If Nintendo lied and said "hey we're sending out new batches of NES classics and they should be in stores on march 3rd" and then sent reps to the stores to try to convince customers that came in for the Classic to get a Switch instead, then that would be a bait and switch.  A bait and switch would require them continuing to talk about the classic to drive people to stores in order to be upsold.   I get that there is some poetic license, but the situation is not even relatively close to that.  Trying to drive brand awareness is not a bait and switch in any way shape or form.  

As for no shit sherlock, yes I know you said the same thing.  That's why I used that phrase.  If you're not familiar with the expression, you are being sarcastically referred to as sherlock in this expression.   I summarized the gist of your post, then pointed out that your point was so plainly obvious that I can't understand the point in presenting it.  It seemed so painfully obvious that I thought there was something I'm missing... or did you really make a long post just to say that Nintendo wants to sell their primary product more than a tertiary product?

I dont know why I get the feeling that vivster and pokoko are the same person (maybe its the ironic stare of both your profile pictures)... hahahaha both of you guys always make good points with a nice touch of irony and sarcasm. I always enjoy reading your post in every thread you comment hehe.

Ok, back to the OP. Yeah, its and odd strategy, but it is giving fruits for Nintendo.

Ok, back to RL.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

The way I see it, Nintendo just made it to fill the holiday void with something and didn't expect a lot from the NES Classic, aside from the old fans buying it for nostalgia. Heck, I didn't think it'd do as well as it did.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread