By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Europe- economy, immigrants, and a potential inspiration

palou said:
eva01beserk said:

Yea, I should have mentioned that the only few times I have seen a refugie status revoked was because of convicted crimes. SOmetimes more than one and them reciveing warnings and still doing the same stupid things. Dint want to say this, but also they where all muslim. Not trying to say anything, just pointed that out.

Well, the vast majority of what I would qualify as valid refugee countries are muslim, so there's that...

That would depend. A woman could ask for refugie status from a muslim country no problem, men would not be granted such ease. On a south american third world country both have the same chance. But most of the muslim inmigrants going into EU are said to be men.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
Bofferbrauer said:

I have another example here: Luxembourg, hy home country.

Half of the inhabitants are immigrants (mostly from portugal, but with an increasing part of eastern europeans and north africans/middle easterns). before the 1950s, Luxembourg was a pretty poor country with net emigration (many to the US) and just a handful of foreigners. Since then we have become a country full of diverse cultures... and become one of the 5 richest countries in the world per capita

Bofferbrauer said:

I have another example here: Luxembourg, hy home country.

Half of the inhabitants are immigrants (mostly from portugal, but with an increasing part of eastern europeans and north africans/middle easterns). before the 1950s, Luxembourg was a pretty poor country with net emigration (many to the US) and just a handful of foreigners. Since then we have become a country full of diverse cultures... and become one of the 5 richest countries in the world per capita

Is it worth visiting? I may go to Switzerland and another European country one day

Depends on what you like to do on your trip. Luxembourg (city) can be very colorful, especially during summer when we have loads of festivals. the countryside has it's perks too, especially the castles (over 20 of them), but are relatively few and far between.

2 things to note: During winter all tourism sites are closed, so it's not really worth coming during this time; and second the country is rather on the expensive side. But for a short visit during summer it's definitly worth it.

monocle_layton said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

Luxembourg is also a country with a population of about half a million, a lot easier to manage the people than massive countries like the US. It'd be great if the rest of the states would individually take notes from Minnesota and countries of similar population to themselves and find a way to make compromises and and reach a moderate middle ground. 

Yeah, 500,000 VS 5.5 million is a big difference. Regardless, it is great to know Luxembourg is doing well. The GDP is over $100,000! I knew it was a successful country, but I never expected it to be this great.

600k by now, the strong immigration also makes for a fast growing population. For reference, we cracked the 500k only 7 years ago, so basically a 20% increase in just 7 years. But yeah, its a bit less than the 5.5 millions of Minnesota

I think an easier and cheaper suggestion I'd have for some of these European countries is hire more of integrated immigrants who speak the local language and know the local customs to go interface with new arrivals immediately so they understand more quickly how to assimilate and also understand and see opportunities for themselves.

I was watching a video with a Swedish cop who is fully Swedish but was brought to Sweden from a young age from Afghanistan and he was asking the government if he could go help and speak to new arrivals and the government's response was it wasn't needed because just getting people in shelters was the main priority, assimilation is not.

Soundwave said:
I think an easier and cheaper suggestion I'd have for some of these European countries is hire more of integrated immigrants who speak the local language and know the local customs to go interface with new arrivals immediately so they understand more quickly how to assimilate and also understand and see opportunities for themselves.

I was watching a video with a Swedish cop who is fully Swedish but was brought to Sweden from a young age from Afghanistan and he was asking the government if he could go help and speak to new arrivals and the government's response was it wasn't needed because just getting people in shelters was the main priority, assimilation is not.

I think us forgetting that immigrants are human causes problems.

They can cause trouble, and they can also be useful. By just throwing them into a culture totally different than ours, there will probably be problems.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

It is a bit understandable, as getting them somewhere to live is a priority and a very difficult task. You can't just gie them homes because then everybody looking for affordable homes will go riot against it. You can't build them homes because all but the most ardent supporters of the refugees and immigrants will then go NIMBY and most even BANANA. This leaves the politicians only with the choice of herding them into empty buildings and container cities (which of course will create backlash against them because the immigrants will then not be treated right.

However, having people understanding the languages of the immigrants and refugees administrating these housing facilities would be a good thing to do. The problem here lies that there's so many coming in at the same time that there just aren't enough of them to serve them all.

Assimilation is not a priority because most of the new immigrants from africa and near east are coming under a refugee status. Which means that they may lose that status and then have to go home when the crisis or reason for their flight in their home country is over. If they want to stay, they have to make the necessary steps (either by integrating and earning citizenship or by marrying into a local family) themselves.

A new study from Germany: only 7000 of of the 1.1 million migrants that came in the last two years have some form of employment now (0.6% employment quota).

However, the number of employed asylum seekers with a maximum of 7000 nationwide is negligible, considering that since 2015, more than 1.1 million refugees have come to Germany.

Original:
https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article162839446/Warum-kaum-ein-Asylbewerber-Arbeit-findet.html
Translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.welt.de%2Fwirtschaft%2Farticle162839446%2FWarum-kaum-ein-Asylbewerber-Arbeit-findet.html&edit-text=

numberwang said:
A new study from Germany: only 7000 of of the 1.1 million migrants that came in the last two years have some form of employment now (0.6% employment quota).

However, the number of employed asylum seekers with a maximum of 7000 nationwide is negligible, considering that since 2015, more than 1.1 million refugees have come to Germany.

Original:
https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article162839446/Warum-kaum-ein-Asylbewerber-Arbeit-findet.html
Translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.welt.de%2Fwirtschaft%2Farticle162839446%2FWarum-kaum-ein-Asylbewerber-Arbeit-findet.html&edit-text=

You need a work permit to work in Germany, which is exceedingly difficult to obtain for an assylum seeker (specifically tailored to avoid people from using the system for economic migration.)

Also: asylum seekers != all migrants.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

palou said:
numberwang said:

Original:
Translation:

You need a work permit to work in Germany, which is exceedingly difficult to obtain for an assylum seeker (specifically tailored to avoid people from using the system for economic migration.)

You are allowed to get a work permit three month after you applied for asylum in Germany. If you got asylum of refugee status you can work immediately.

The article states language barriers & no certificates of skills as the biggest hurdle.

"The result: Apart from a lack of training, the German language is the greatest obstacle for job-seeking refugees."

numberwang said:
palou said:

You are allowed to get a work permit three month after you applied for asylum in Germany. If you got asylum of refugee status you can work immediately.

The article states language barriers & no certificates of skills as the biggest hurdle.

"The result: Apart from a lack of training, the German language is the greatest obstacle for job-seeking refugees."

The video also mentions burocracy - namingly, that a company attempting to train a refugee for the job needs to fight for the right to do so with the BAMF.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.