By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - More discussion on why I think Switch will fail.

I agree. The Switch has really weak hardware. That's why it'll fail, just like the 3DS did with its 240p screen and sub-PS2 power.

Wait, the 3DS isn't a failure? It's already sold over 65 million units? Oh.

Well, people aren't going to put up with such weak hardware again. I mean, seriously, why does Nintendo always use hardware that's five+ years behind?

Wait, the Switch is a full generation ahead of the PS Vita, making it by far the most powerful handheld ever released? Oh.

Yeah, your argument here is terrible.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
I agree that people are jumping the gun on the Switch's success. But by saying this thread is made because of that, aren't you admitting this is a retaliation thread?

Retaliation against who? The gun jumping ppl? I think they are making a mountain out of a 2 week mole hill. I think that this needs to be brought down to earth. My voice can help with that. 

Meh. I don't think most people care about power. They just want games. If the Switch can garner 3DS/Wii/DS level support, it should do well despite being weaker.

niceguygameplayer said:
StarOcean said:
I agree that people are jumping the gun on the Switch's success. But by saying this thread is made because of that, aren't you admitting this is a retaliation thread?

Retaliation against who? The gun jumping ppl? I think they are making a mountain out of a 2 week mole hill. I think that this needs to be brought down to earth. My voice can help with that. 

Nothing wrong with doubt, but saying this is supposed to be a balance for the over-enthused won't help. Don't let those who you disagree with get the better of you. You're better than that 

monocle_layton said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Because, too many ppl are talking about the Switch's amazing success and how production will double and how GameStop thinks it could beat Wii. They are jumping the gun!

Aren't you jumping the gun by predicting it will fail?

Talk about double standards.

No, I'm offering a reasonable alternative to all this hype.

Around the Network

The power thing....again? I don't think we as gamers have come far enough or want to understand that graphics don't dictate how well a game plays or sells. Sure, more games on Switch is a good thing. you need 3rd parties to have a huge success on your hands. But just because a system isn't powerful, it doesn't mean it won't get 3rd party Support.

Switch is not a competitor to PS4 and Xbox One, Nintendo has made sure to say this, numerous times. Why are we still stuck on the power thing??? Yes, it's too early to say that Switch is a success, but it isn't too early to know that it's currently on pace to outsell the Wii and the market is responding generally well to it and Nintendo is making money on hardware and software at this point. Switch is one of the best things to happen to Nintendo in a long time, it won't fail, not in the way most anti-Nintendo players think so. It may not sell more than PS4 or Xbox One or Scorpio or PS5 or whatever it'll be pitted against, but does that mean it is a failure? I think not. Case and point, Gamecube. No, it didn't outsell PS2 or even the newcomer Xbox, but every financial report, Nintendo was in the green. And that's all that matters. That's why they're worth what they're worth.

The doom and gloom comes when Nintendo takes their first loss in years, and the internet blew it up, followed by the Wii U failure and losses on Wii U hardware, it was easy to say that Nintendo was irrelevant. Yet, they're worth just as much if not more than Sony at this point...and all they do is games. I'm not trying to say that one company is better than the other, each has their ups and downs, I just want the silly stuff to end, and just play games. If it fails, let it be because it's a shit system or nobody wants it, not because the internet needs to join the circle jerk of bashing any company.

I say this because, I used to be that way, my mod history reflects that, it's just not worth it. I know I probably said too much but man, I'm tired of a lot of these recent threads. Please, try to be constructive if you are going to make one of these. That's all I ask.

StarOcean said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Nothing wrong with doubt, but saying this is supposed to be a balance for the over-enthused won't help. Don't let those who you disagree with get the better of you. You're better than that 

I feel like there is too much hype. I want to help bring it down a bit. It's not like I'm mad. A little annoyed maybe. Ppl believed the no man's sky hype. It just caused ppl to waste money and be disappointed.

It may fail but i personally don't want it to.

I feel that way every time I go past a store that has Switch on display, mainly because of these observations, which are of course related only to Japan and I can't speak for how things are going in other countries since I'm not there, just first hand experience with Japan in particular.

1) The initial buzz around launch faded exceptionally fast, the low shipments nation wide caused a dearth of stock on auction site being flipped for a profit, but even with that, mere weeks away from the consoles launch and I don't see anybody standing by the displays anymore, hell last night I went to see what was new and a bunch of kids were in the store, some playing a game on the display unit vita, and some playing on the new mario sport game for 3DS, nobody, at all, was paying attention to the switch stand or the switch section of the accessories isle and I stayed for a good 2 hours talking to a friend who works at the mobile phone store right along side the games store (all open plan, so the shelves just seem to blend together).

2) The scalpers who snapped up the initial stock have had a hard time shifting the stock for any worthwhile profit, normally by now all but the most insanely marked up consoles would be gone, but as it stands auction sites are still flooded with the consoles, many asking for little more than $30 over standard store price, which says a whole lot about demand for the console currently.

3) Both in-store and on TV, advertising for the Switch has been wishy-washy, for example in an hours worth of TV, you'll maybe see one Switch commercial which doesn't seem that great of a commercial to begin with, conversely you'll see several adverts for 3DS games (such as the new mario sports game) and many, many more mobile games such as granblue fantasy, puzzle dragons and so on. Basically the consoles presence seems overshadowed by both mobile and it's much more popular brother, the 3DS.

4) The general response I get from people when talking about the switch is that because it's advertised as a handheld, the price is too high, if you compare it to the 3DS which averages around 18,000 yen and the vita which averages around 17,000, for the Japanese, there being another handheld that is 32,000 yen just doesn't seem like value for money - regardless of technical spec, the "its a handheld" portion of the consoles philosophy is detrimental to its value proposition for Japanese buyers.
Likewise, with 3DS games averaging 5200 yen, seeing the marquee title for Switch, Zelda, costing upwards of 7300 yen only compounds the situation brought on by not seeing the value in a 32,000 yen console.

5) Zelda just isn't a popular in Japan as it is in the west, I know that sounds crazy since it's a franchise born out of Japan, but the fanbase for Zelda has shifted it's core from Japan to US and in some ways, the EU, and I think it's largely a generational thing, gamers, even older gamers in Japan associate Mario with retro gaming, where as in the US, Zelda is seen as being one of the highlights to retro-gaming memories almost as much as Mario, with faithful and loyal followings. - Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of Zelda fans in Japan, it's just nowhere near as common as it is in the US, as such, the only (let's be brutally honest here) launch title worth picking up for the switch right now is Zelda, and when the appeal for that isn't super strong, and you discount it from the launch lineup, there's little much else left behind to pull an audience.

6) Smartphones - everyone has them, be they the 75 year old salaryman on the train of the 10 year old walking to school, be it IOS or Android, everyone has them and a large majority of them play games like puzzle dragon and digital card based games, the steep rise in attachment to smartphones as both an internet portal and a gaming device has taken a large bite out of the gaming market, and is causing generations of gamers to grow up having only, or mainly, experienced gaming on such devices - in 10-15 years, this generation will look back to old smartphone games they played rather than standard console games, and this has, and will, continue to impact the success of consoles in the region.

Because of all of these reasons, and without any experience of the console outside of Japan, i'm inclined to cast a rough estimate that the Switch will struggle to break 50 million lifetime.

StarDoor said:
I agree. The Switch has really weak hardware. That's why it'll fail, just like the 3DS did with its 240p screen and sub-PS2 power.

Wait, the 3DS isn't a failure? It's already sold over 65 million units? Oh.

Well, people aren't going to put up with such weak hardware again. I mean, seriously, why does Nintendo always use hardware that's five+ years behind?

Wait, the Switch is a full generation ahead of the PS Vita, making it by far the most powerful handheld ever released? Oh.

Yeah, your argument here is terrible.

Yes, it is powerful for a portable, but the price is too much, and casuals with powerful smart phones have little need for Switch. The non-Nintendo core gamers will want PS4pro/Scorpio power. The pro could come down to $300-$350 with a game by year's end. That looks much better than $440 for a weak Switch with one game and a pro controller.