By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Colin Moriarty is back

potato_hamster said:
VGPolyglot said:

However, how would equal of opportunity after the first generation, where the people who were ahead will have children that will almost surely be better off than the children of the others? Would you reset after every generation?

Hey, that's for you to sort out. Ohh wait, everyone does their best, from ditch diggers to baristas to crab fisherman to brain surgeons for the same pay, regardless of the hours just because they want to do their part in society, and will be driven by no bigger desire than the happiness they feel that society functions, so no one will "be ahead", right?

Well, unlike you, I don't look down on people in lower paying jobs, and actually view them as important members to society, instead of just expendables.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
potato_hamster said:

Hey, that's for you to sort out. Ohh wait, everyone does their best, from ditch diggers to baristas to crab fisherman to brain surgeons for the same pay, regardless of the hours just because they want to do their part in society, and will be driven by no bigger desire than the happiness they feel that society functions, so no one will "be ahead", right?

Well, unlike you, I don't look down on people in lower paying jobs, and actually view them as important members to society, instead of just expendables.

Hey, thanks for thinking for me! I really appreciate that.

in reality, I don't look down on anyone who has a lower paying jobs (I've had plenty). I just accept that people need incentives to achieve their dreams beyond "well society needs you to do it". One of my brothers is a doctor. He was in school/training for over 12 years before he was done his specialty where he literally spent 80% of his average week in a hospital. Now that he's graduated and working full time his average work week is 80-100 hours long. I guarantee he wouldn't bother if he knew at the end of it he'd be making the same as kid he grew up with that dropped out of high school at 16, and now works at the dump. I think the BMW he bought in full with just a portion of his signing bonus coming out of med school might have had a bit of an incentive.

And here you are thinking it's even remotely possible that you can convince people that don't trust their neighbors enough sleep soundly at night without a handgun in their nightstand to give up alomst everything they ever worked for so that Billy the dump worker can live more comfortably? Best of luck with that.

WolfpackN64 said:
potato_hamster said:

Maybe you should hop on twitter or tumbler for like three minutes. You'll find thousands.

There's a reason I quit twitter, it's become an absolute cesspit where no real debate is possible in any civilized way.

Based off this thread, I'm not sure a civilized debate is possible with you regardless of the platform, considering how you chose to present yourself here.

VGPolyglot said:
potato_hamster said:

You're putting words in his mouth. Where did you get that he looks down on them? While I do think executives are paid too much, I don't think a cashier should be paid in the same ballpark as a doctor, for example.

Smoking 36K$ a month from Patreon already? Talk about how supply found demand big league.

Around the Network
naruball said:
areason said:
30,000 dollars a month for a gaming journalist to talk about politics and history? My god i am jealous.

No wonder so many young people make asses of themselves to stand out in the hope of becoming internet famous. Why study hard when I can just play video games or make a bunch of stupid videos and call it a day?

They might try to become internet famous, until they realize that it takes a lot more effort to try and get that status, essentially demoralizing them. I am around the Twitch scene a lot and know, from people on there, how many hours they put into their streams to try and create content and support themselves. They're working upwards of 15-16 hours a day, 8-10 of those talking to their chats and being entertaining. Next you'll be saying that why work a job like a lawyer/doctor when they can just memorize lines and perform in a movie?

spemanig said:
Lawlight said:

I bet only a handful of us posters are able to write details guides like he did. I know I can't and I'm sure most can't. Just have a look at his guides on GameFAQs. Listen to his podcasts, especially the ones about the best games on PS for example. I would say he knows gaming about as much as us enthusiasts do.

I would say that he knows about gaming no more than most enthisiasts do. That's my point.

I do listen to his podcasts, and I'm familiar with guides in general. Once you understand the structure, it's just about filling them in with the details. Again, if you have a favorite game that you've played multiple times, you probably know it well enough to make a guide. And if there are small details you don't know off of memory, you probably know the game well enough to figure out how to find them. That's essentially how guides are made. Anyone can do it. You just need to be good at the game and have the patient to put in the work. That doesn't take an exceptional amount of knowledge about games in general. At least not more than your average game enthusiast. It's not difficult - it's boring and tedious, like transcribing spoken word to at a court or something. Everything is there for you. You just have to be willing to do it.

I agree that writing guides for games and knowing general gaming knowledge does not go hand-in-hand, but not anyone can write guides. If they could, there would be a lot more guides on a place like GameFAQs and even some of them on there are downright horrible, in terms of helping people get through a game. They are a lot more work than just writing down what you need to do in a game, as some games require you to think of strategies, document enemy attacks and even chronicle a plethora of data to compile into the guide. A game that might only take 20 hours to play through normally would consist of upwards of 40-50 hours to create a guide. It is a lot more than just taking your knowledge about a game, but actually presently that info in a coherent manner to guide someone through a game.

Lawlight said:
Nem said:

What type of agenda is this?

What is this bullshit about regressive left? You ahve a really funny idea of what left is.

Some jackasses abused someone and you are gonna make this about politics?! I'm utterly disgusted.

I'm sure you're asking those questions ironically.

I say this is the regressive right. Because why not? Anyone can come up with bullshit, and yours stinks.

Leave your backwater politics out of societal disputes. If you think it's only left wing supporters that get offended easily, maybe you should look at the self-righteous religious right wingers. Oh what's that? Generalising and it's not that clear cut? Shocking!

Nem said:
Lawlight said:

I'm sure you're asking those questions ironically.

I say this is the regressive right. Because why not? Anyone can come up with bullshit, and yours stinks.

Leave your backwater politics out of societal disputes. If you think it's only left wing supporters that get offended easily, maybe you should look at the self-righteous religious right wingers. Oh what's that? Generalising and it's not that clear cut? Shocking!

First, calm down.

Secondly regressive right makes no sense because the right (far right, alt-right) is already considered a pejorative term.

Thirdly, self-righteous right wingers are a dying breed and do not have much of a voice in the MSM which leans left. Or are you're talking about Islamists - I wonder whether they considered self-righteous religious right wingers?

Lastly, I will ask you - what's your question or point? Did you just post to essentially say that the term offends you?

Lawlight said:
Nem said:

First, calm down.

Secondly regressive right makes no sense because the right (far right, alt-right) is already considered a pejorative term.

Thirdly, self-righteous right wingers are a dying breed and do not have much of a voice in the MSM which leans left. Or are you're talking about Islamists - I wonder whether they considered self-righteous religious right wingers?

Lastly, I will ask you - what's your question or point? Did you just post to essentially say that the term offends you?

I think he was referring to someone else in this thread that said that a regressive right exists. However, I could be wrong. Also, the MSM leans establishment, not left, so if they feel threatened by either side they're going to criticize them.