By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Developers Weigh In On The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild's Brilliance

ghettoglamour said:
I love this game so much. Hope the rain stops soon so that I can climb this mountain.

Hope it's not the one in Faron as it's part of the challenge and won't stop ;)

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, but point about Zelda is not just upgrade over previous Zelda game, if you look at 3D Zelda games you will see that going from FOoT to MM to WW to TP (only game that feels like upgrade over OoT) to SS, they are all very difrent, so I they will definatly make just ugprade over BotW. Maybe they could make something similar like going from OoT to MM, again open world Zelda similar to BotW but in some twisted and strange world with some new mehanics.

Well... No. They're not "all very different". Not in the way OoT was compared to what came before, and how BOTW is compared to what came before it. The titles you mentioned may not the same game, for sure, they had different world, stories and whatnot, but they all followed the same game design structure and formula that was started put in place in OoT. All the game were mostly refinement from one title to the next. They were not "all very different".

By saying they were not "all very different", I hope that you won't take it as a knock on them. Because I adore the Zelda series (as if this wasn't already clear). For some reason, I believe it is important to point that kind of things out when talking to you...

Disagree, yes they have same formula, but going from OoT to MM is very different experience, going from MM to WW also very different experience, going from WW to TP same, also going from TP to SS, and now from SS to BotW with changed formula.

For me Zelda is best franchise, and Zelda OoT until BotW was easily best game that I ever played, but 3D Zeldas are pretty different one from another dispite same formula, just look at last 3D Zeldas before BotW, WWTP and A, totally different experiences.

pokoko said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Who is painting the game as perfect? Surely not me, it is maybe the best game I have ever played but perfect? not at all, if something I would say is way more close to whatever we call perfection than any other of the games on the genre I have played, BoTW can be (and will be) improved for sure.

I'm totally fine with people not liking every aspect of the game, or even not liking it at all, but this days internet has been flooded with people desperatly looking for things to blow out of proportions just to dissmiss the game, first was the framerate, because we all know a game without a perfect framerate cannot be a masterpiece despite the fact that The Last Of Us exists, then Jim came with his completely orquestrated and predictable clickbait review making the weapon system look almost like a gamebreaker and suddlenly that's the main argument to shit about the game, very suspicious.

Bullshit.  What you're trying to do is obvious.  Your line about how everyone in the world loves it except forum goers made that crystal clear.  It's just poisoning the well.  If anything is blowning things out of proportion, it's the response to criticism and the need to assassinate the character of anyone who breaks formation.

worse than that is the people who criticize the game WITHOUT playing the game and the people who say the game "is not that good" without playing the game, any game.

vivster said:

So glass weapons soon in every game.

In reality, depending on the type of glass, they could actually be more durable than many wooden variants. :P

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

MTZehvor said:
contestgamer said:

If BOTW had a strong narrative it would be GOAT. It doesnt because Nintendo doesnt want it to unfortunately. Witcher does it without any problems for an open world game

In short: Not quite

In long: Witcher (or more specifically, Witcher 3) does have an engaging narrative, but it's only able to function as well as it does because it has a great deal of control over when the player participates in cutscenes or dialogue trees that contribute heavily to the narrative. This is something that wouldn't work in a game with BotW's degree of freedom (where you can literally beat the game in an hour and never visit 90% of the game's world or view any story related cutscenes). Personally, I think that's probably for the better, as Geralt is already an extremely bland protagonist and I can only imagine how dull Link would be if he was given a large scale speaking role.

Geralt was definitely the most noticable negative for me playing Witcher III. While I have no problem with it as I'm sure many people know the characters and cared about the story (it certainly didn't hook me in early on), I really just wanted to make some random character and head out.

Around the Network
onionberry said:
pokoko said:

Bullshit.  What you're trying to do is obvious.  Your line about how everyone in the world loves it except forum goers made that crystal clear.  It's just poisoning the well.  If anything is blowning things out of proportion, it's the response to criticism and the need to assassinate the character of anyone who breaks formation.

worse than that is the people who criticize the game WITHOUT playing the game and the people who say the game "is not that good" without playing the game, any game.

I'd argue the opposite. Declaing a game "bad" without playing it is certainly petty and ridiculous, but dismissing someone else's opinion and going after their character for having an opinion that differs with yours is far worse because it's a personal attack. As a rather silly example, if I say "I hate chocolate milkshakes" without having tried a chocolate milkshake, I'm being spiteful, but my spite is only directed against a specific item. However, if I go after a person or a group of people who dislike chocolate milkshakes and decry them all of them as simply holding some ulterior motive for criticizing milkshakes, as if there is no room to both have a well thought out opinion and still dislike chocolate milkshakes, is orders of magnitude worse. Why? Because I'm directly going after the people themselves, not the object. I'm ignorantly insulting the people instead of the product, and wrongly insulting a person is in nearly every instance going to be worse than insulting an object.

MTZehvor said:
onionberry said:

I'd argue the opposite. Declaing a game "bad" without playing it is certainly petty and ridiculous, but dismissing someone else's opinion and going after their character for having an opinion that differs with yours is far worse because it's a personal attack. As a rather silly example, if I say "I hate chocolate milkshakes" without having tried a chocolate milkshake, I'm being spiteful, but my spite is only directed against a specific item. However, if I go after a person or a group of people who dislike chocolate milkshakes and decry them all of them as simply holding some ulterior motive for criticizing milkshakes, as if there is no room to both have a well thought out opinion and still dislike chocolate milkshakes, is orders of magnitude worse. Why? Because I'm directly going after the people themselves, not the object. I'm ignorantly insulting the people instead of the product, and wrongly insulting a person is in nearly every instance going to be worse than insulting an object.

That's just a different scenario with a different type of ridiculousness, attacking people because of their opinion is as ridiculous as attacking and arguing about something without experience, that's when you need to stay quiet cause your opinion doesn't have a base. "What you think" is not enough if you're going to critize something or say that something is good or bad, cause then that's just a sentiment and not a real opinion based on experience with the subject. And we are full of that, "this is not good, not that good" without a base, just based on other opinions from people who had the opinion that validates their sentiments.

Tagging for later, in case of potential spoilers :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

morenoingrato said:
This is freaking 40 minutes... Don't have time for this. What did Ken Levine say?

Also, Irrational Games. :(

well they all loved it, and many if not all said it might be their favorite game of all time.

But as for the guy you mentioneed. I don't know the guys, but from what I recall in the beginning of who was who's name, I think he was the guy who at the end of the video to sum up their thoughts. He is out trying to buy a ton of zelda amiibo's now. He even jokes about them being sold out and seeing "$70 for one, that's not bad"  

So that kind of tells you he is addicted and loving the game.  He might have been the only one to not say it was his GOAT game, but just the whole buying amiibo's thing tells you it is damn near up there if not.

Platina said:
Tagging for later, in case of potential spoilers :/

It's free of spoilers.