By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo expects to sell 10 million Switch units in the next fiscal year

Well, we know pikmin 4 developmentis probably done by now, the animal crossing is for sure being made already, but this forecast...

I can only see it happening in one, only one scenario:
- Monster hunter and Yokai watch is confirmed for japan.
- Animal crossing, pokemon eclipse and metroid is announced at E3, maybe even Donkey Kong since it's being highly teased through easter eggs in super mario odyssey trailer.
- Super smash deluxe coming this year.
- Virtual Console with GC/Wii library.
- Release of the browser and multimedia Apps (netflix, youtube,hulu)
- Fix/Patch for the hardware issues and software (joycons,gpu leak).

unless all of above happens this E3 it's very unlikely they will sell anywhere close to that, i hope their spectations is due to what bombs they are gonna bring instead of guessing through 2 weeks of sales.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
Platina said:
Isn't this a duplicate?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=226891&page=1#

But if they can raise the bar, it must mean that the Switch is doing well, right? :p

Not the same numbers in each thread. And apparently there is a big mistake about these numbers, they mixed everything up.

The January numbers I've found were 10M Switch shipped in 2017. The 8M numbers given here and in the other thread was surely about consoles sold. So they now expect to sell 10M instead of 8M, to ship XM instead of 10M, and to produce 16M instead of YM. X and Y should both be around 12-13. Sounds a lot more logical than "Oh, the launch was good, let's double the numbers!".

Faelco said:
Platina said:
Isn't this a duplicate?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=226891&page=1#

But if they can raise the bar, it must mean that the Switch is doing well, right? :p

Not the same numbers in each thread. And apparently there is a big mistake about these numbers, they mixed everything up.

The January numbers I've found were 10M Switch shipped in 2017. The 8M numbers given here and in the other thread was surely about consoles sold. So they now expect to sell 10M instead of 8M, to ship XM instead of 10M, and to produce 16M instead of YM. X and Y should both be around 12-13. Sounds a lot more logical than "Oh, the launch was good, let's double the numbers!".

Oh, I see.. reread the original source more carefully. Both from the same source, but this one is accurate, thanks :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Faelco said:

Oh, I see.. reread the original source more carefully. Both from the same source, but this one is accurate, thanks :p

I'm not sure what is accurate. WSJ apparently really believes in the 8M to 16M production change, which sounds absurd. And I've found a January Gameblog article announcing 10M shipped, so I just think that WSJ made a mistake and announced an initial prevision of "8M produced" instead of "8M sold".

Faelco said:
Platina said:

I'm not sure what is accurate. WSJ apparently really believes in the 8M to 16M production change, which sounds absurd. And I've found a January Gameblog article announcing 10M shipped, so I just think that WSJ made a mistake and announced an initial prevision of "8M produced" instead of "8M sold".

Well, I'm referring to an accurate relay of information from the rumor source, not whether the rumor itself is accurate or not :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

That is a doable number. I'll agree that Monster Hunter and Pokemon announced during that time frame would make this a virtual certainty.

They could really crush the Japanese market by putting out a quick teaser trailer for Pokemon Switch just before Splatoon 2 hits.

The NS would be sold out until the end of the year ;)

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

F.Scofield said:
Well, we know pikmin 4 developmentis probably done by now, the animal crossing is for sure being made already, but this forecast...

I can only see it happening in one, only one scenario:
- Monster hunter and Yokai watch is confirmed for japan.
- Animal crossing, pokemon eclipse and metroid is announced at E3, maybe even Donkey Kong since it's being highly teased through easter eggs in super mario odyssey trailer.
- Super smash deluxe coming this year.
- Virtual Console with GC/Wii library.
- Release of the browser and multimedia Apps (netflix, youtube,hulu)
- Fix/Patch for the hardware issues and software (joycons,gpu leak).

unless all of above happens this E3 it's very unlikely they will sell anywhere close to that, i hope their spectations is due to what bombs they are gonna bring instead of guessing through 2 weeks of sales.

Of Course that not all above needs to happen to sell "anywhere close to that", Switch already have huge games for this year, at ends year console will have Zelda BotW, ARMS, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, if they managed to have Pokemon at holiday season those numbers are very possible.

Only if Monster Hunter and pokemon (main serie) are announced this year

IsawYoshi said:
So is this a confirmation of a pokemon game come autumn? :D

It could also mean proper 3ds successor switch revision....

10 million is a lot more reasonable than 16 million. With a price cut, continued marketing, and good games Nintendo, that's doable (doesn't mean it will happen, just that it's reasonable).