By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Should Right a Wrong: Star Fox Zero

Would You Like a StarFox0 Port /w Conventional Controls?

Yes 70 68.63%

No 26 25.49%

Don't have a Switch 6 5.88%

Total:102

Just let Starfox die a death, and concentrate on new IP.

Around the Network

Most of the boss battles are built around the control setup, which isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. It's the same controls as Splatoon, which people seemed to love once they adjusted. Star Fox fans just weren't used to it. I prefer the old controls myself, so I'd like a straight up sequel that uses the traditional controls.

Controls were fine. Most PG games have a learning curve dating back to Clover Studios. Once I adapted they were actually pretty solid.

I haven't beaten Star Fox Zero but from what I've played the design of certain levels is a bigger problem than the controls. I didn't mind the controls in the Arwing missions (they're not as good as they should be but it's not Lair-level of suckiness) and if all missions were like the first ones I probably would have continued to the end. My issues began with the Walker and once you got that slow, godawful thingy that forces you to stop and lower down a robot to push buttons or whatever I almost threw myself out of the window in frustration. Then you got to play some boring stealth level I think (don't fully remember, don't care) and that's where I stopped playing.

In short, fixing the controls wouldn't do much as the level design is a much bigger issue for me personally, so a port would also require different levels for me to consider it. Just make a new one instead, a good one with good levels and no fudging toy robots.

Johnw1104 said:
spemanig said:
The game was bad even after the controls. Star Fox needs to be put to rest for a few years so they can re-evaluate what the franchise needs. It definitely doesn't need a redo of the original Star Fox for the fourth time - not in story or gameplay.

I'd argue the franchise has mostly been at rest for twenty years as far as providing a decent rail shooter goes... heck, even the N64 game was basically just taken straight from the SNES Starfox 2 that was nearly complete.

Granted I haven't played the portable title so that might be unfair, but it just seems funny to me that they can't provide a proper follow up to what (on paper) looks like the easiest of their IP's to design a new game for lol... Why is this so difficult for them?

Probably because they continue to try to adhere to an early 3D, SNES design philosophy, rather than just letting the franchise evolve like every other franchise of that era has.

Around the Network

I agree. The game deserves a second life, where it isn't burdened by awkward motion control controls and not put on a dying console.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Johnw1104 said:
maxleresistant said:
Making people buy it again to have a proper version is not "righting a wrong". It's just mocking their customers...

They should release a patch for the WiiU version. Then they can release a new Switch version alongside it.

This is Mario Kart Deluxe Battle mode all over again...

I doubt you'll find anyone who bought Mario Kart 8 that feels robbed by the purchase. 

Either way, listening to criticism is the opposite of mocking customers. It'd be great if they also patched it for the Wii U, but I wouldn't much care one way or the other.

I guess there is people who will try to defend what is right, and others like you who just "don't care"

spemanig said:
The game was bad even after the controls. Star Fox needs to be put to rest for a few years so they can re-evaluate what the franchise needs. It definitely doesn't need a redo of the original Star Fox for the fourth time - not in story or gameplay.

Yeah, Star Fox really needs a hiatus and retooling of its formula because as is, it's an archaic rail-shooter that has already been upstaged 1st party-wise by Kid Icarus: Uprising and the Sin & Punishment series.  At this point, I'd much rather have sequels to those franchises than another Star Fox game.  On the other hand, if Nintendo really wants a new Star Fox game, I'd say to let Platinum have another go at it without any input or involvement from Miyamoto.

maxleresistant said:
Johnw1104 said:

I doubt you'll find anyone who bought Mario Kart 8 that feels robbed by the purchase. 

Either way, listening to criticism is the opposite of mocking customers. It'd be great if they also patched it for the Wii U, but I wouldn't much care one way or the other.

I guess there is people who will try to defend what is right, and others like you who just "don't care"

lol, "try to defend what is right", suddenly your batman avatar makes plenty of sense.

Everyone knew what they were getting when they bought Mario Kart 8, and there's not a soul who bought it that will say it wasn't worth the purchase as it's one of the most fun and replayable games released of the last few years. Would it have been nice if there was a great battle mode on the Wii U version? Of course it would, but that's not what we got and they didn't fool us into thinking there was one.

We all knew precisely what was included when we bought it, so no one was wronged. Buying a port of a three year old game with a few new features like a new battle mode at full price will, also, seem unfair to some, but they're welcome not to buy it. This isn't being forced on anyone, so no one is being "wronged".

Johnw1104 said:

I'm not going to pretend that with proper controls Star Fox Zero would be a masterpiece, but hidden behind those forced, clunky controls is indeed a great Star Fox experience... really, it's the one I've personally been waiting for since the N64 if the gamepad would just get the heck out of the way.

The character designs were spot on, the atmosphere and sound design were excellent, the level design mirrored previous Starfox entries; really, the single biggest issue that I just couldn't quite get past were those darn controls, and even when I got fairly good at them I still found myself wishing they weren't necessary to begin with.

Reading the reviews when it was released, it was clear that the controls were hugely frustrating for everyone and the primary gripe justifiably held against this game. Even were it ported with no other changes than simply providing a conventional control scheme, it would probably still be at least accepted as a quality game.

It seems to me, then, that Nintendo should port this darn game to the Switch, perhaps improving the resolution but, at the very least, adapting it to be played with conventional controls. It kills me that a game from Platinum Games that seems to have all the ingredients of an excellent Star Fox experience has just been utterly wasted, and I can't imagine it would require that much work to adapt it to work without the darn gamepad. If they did, it'd just be one more exclusive to justify owning a Switch, and (more selfishly) I'd finally get to enjoy another Star Fox entry after feeling robbed a couple times now (I was one of those kids who bought Star Fox Adventure expecting a Star Fox game).

Would you have any interest in a port?

No. Because, I don't want to by a new console. Just to get a fixed version of the game. That should of had the controls, to begin with. It should just be patched into the Wii U version. I'd actually buy it.