By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Ms give up on fable or keep the beloved franchise alive

SegataSanshiro said:
It's dead. Series was never great. 1-2 were decent RPGs. III was garbage then the Kinect game was crap and Legends did not look good. They own Rare and it's IPs so why not revise Wizards and Warriors as an RPG. The best thing they could do if they want a western RPG is create a new IP. Fable name was tarnished already.

I like the Fable series for something most RPGs lack, personality. It was more about the narrative than anything else. Fable the Journey was fun for a rail shooter, enjoyable story as well. I can confrim Legends was boring, I played the beta.

A series can still do well even with some blemishes, people will come back if they make a notable release. Many long running IPs have been "tarnished" at some point. Fable has had underhwhelming side games, but the trilogy was critical and sales successes.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

No offense to Microsoft, but they dont have the type of quality control to keep games like Fable alive. The only promising Fable was part one and they did not follow through on the promise it brought. Molyneux is also partially to blame, thinking he would revolutionize the industry with that franchise. It was all a sham built on hype. Microsoft needs something fresh and new, but they've never been good at creating new IP.

Give up, looking back the games they were very average, they should invest in a more up to date rpg.

Plus for the game to have a good impact it's going to need to match/surpass the recent wrpgs, which will require a big budget and with the sales of the xb1 i don't see it breaking even. 

areason said:

Give up, looking back the games they were very average, they should invest in a more up to date rpg.

Plus for the game to have a good impact it's going to need to match/surpass the recent wrpgs, which will require a big budget and with the sales of the xb1 i don't see it breaking even. 

Just thinking off the type of my head, I think Fable needs to keep the charm but the scale of something like Witcher 3.

That could justify a big budget and it would be on PC as well.

Edit: The Fable games hold up fine for what they are, action RPGs. The series was never trying to be something Elder Scrolls. Quite frankly, I can't even think of many notable WRPGs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KiigelHeart said:
I want Fable 4!

Why is Fable 3 hated so much? I played it twice, I find it really good. Fable 2 is the best though.

Fable 3 was actually a decent game.
But while you were doing the quests... Counting down the days... Then once you got to day 120 or something... Boom it accellerated you to day 0 without a warning and the game is about to end on it's climax.
Ironically, it could have been fixed up with DLC or an Expansion pack... It never was.

Plus... If you look at Fable 2, that was a massive overhaul from Fable: The lost Chapters, it took what was good about Fable 1 and made it better. Fable 3 didn't do that, it didn't bring us anything new or innovative to the franchise... It felt more like a rushed cash grab.

Mr Puggsly said:
When Lionhead was shut down I predicted Rare would take it over. Quite frankly it fits Rare.

They should remaster the trilogy for now though.

Rare could probably do it... But what would have been better is if Microsoft simply kept Lionhead... And gave us a different franchise instead.
Lionhead could make games other than Fable... Like maybe a Black and White 3? Would have been a good break untill they decided on a proper Fable 4 or something.

Sadly, I would think that the bean counters up top made this decision.

Mr Puggsly said:

Just thinking off the type of my head, I think Fable needs to keep the charm but the scale of something like Witcher 3.

That could justify a big budget and it would be on PC as well.

Edit: The Fable games hold up fine for what they are, action RPGs. The series was never trying to be something Elder Scrolls. Quite frankly, I can't even think of many notable WRPGs.

I think people are starting to get tired of open world games at the moment, having a more "directed" experience isn't always a bad thing.

Every Fable game has been on PC anyway, except Fable 2. Ironically... Microsoft in it's moronic ways... Has refused to give Valve any more Steam keys for Fable 3, once Fable 3 sold out... That was it.
Microsoft is literally throwing away money by not generating more keys, Fable and Fable: Anniversary often still hit the top of the sales charts when discounted, so I don't understand Microsoft's stance on that issue.

Fable along with Halo for me is what got me into the Xbox Ecosystem to begin with (I had the games on PC too) and is what pulled me towards the Xbox 360, shame those franchises have faltered to various degrees.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Otter said:

The fact that this even a question shows how nuts Ms is.

Every mainline entry Fable game is critically acclaimed with a meta of 80+

The sales increased with each entry, peaking with Fable 3's 5m units. Fable 3 was a step in the wrong direction but still a great game and very successful.

Fable 4 should have been on Xbox One years ago, I don't know how we got to a point where we're questioming the future of the franchise.

MS doesnt seem to care for single player games, this gen.... so they tried to change the formula of fable... didnt work out.

JRPGfan said:
Otter said:

The sales increased with each entry, peaking with Fable 3's 5m units. Fable 3 was a step in the wrong direction but still a great game and very successful.

Fable 4 should have been on Xbox One years ago, I don't know how we got to a point where we're questioming the future of the franchise.

MS doesnt seem to care for single player games, this gen.... so they tried to change the formula of fable... didnt work out.

Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Recore, Ryse, Dead Rising while having much single player content in their Forza games, Gears of war having a nice campaign with split screena and split screen returning in Halo 6 while Halo Wars has a campaign ánd is getting single player content in its DLC

State of Decay 2 being a single player- and co up with friends only game while Crackdown 3, which relies on cloud engine for physics is getting a complete offline mode to cater to single player and lets not forget Ori and the Blind Forest, Cuphead and brining over Path of Exiles and Cities Skylines, which are excellent games to play solo.

Hey, I know you prefer the PS4 Lineup and I respect the hell out of that and yes the original CEO had a different mindset then Phil Spencer, but acting like Xbox has abbandoned single player when they launched so many great single player experiences many love, seems wrong. And the guys at Xbox have always seemed very aware not everyone that buys their console just wants to play multiplayer.

The fact they have some of the best Multiplayer games is just a bonus if anything. No they don't have a naughty dog, yes I love those kind of games on PS4 but Xbox is trying very hard and there is no sign that they are abandoning the Fable IP or that they Don't care about SP.

Sorry for the rant but this really pushed my buttons as a future scorpio owner following phil and his team closely for the last few years.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

JRPGfan said:
Otter said:

Fable, much like Halo Wars are light versions of other games in their genre. Major hand holding and zero challenge in Fable 2 & 3. The first fable was promising, but was never truly followed through on the promise of greatness that Molyneux proposed.