By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility (The Jimquisition)

KLXVER said:
I agree with him. I don't mind weapons breaking as much in Dark Souls because they are actually quite durable and even if you do break it, it doesn't shatter. You just have to bring it to someone who can repair it. It really takes away the excitement of getting new weapons in BOTW. Like Ive found a really cool fire blade, but I don't want it to break because its the only one like it Ive seen in my many hours of playing the game. So now it just takes up space in my inventory. Its not game breaking, but people shouldn't defend it. If they do then the next Zelda will have swords made of glass as well.

People defend it as most of us don't mind. The game gives me far more weapons than I know what to do with, and you just have to stop getting sentimentally attached to weapons that you'll find again an hour from now.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

It's a shame his attempt to be the lone dissenter was actually outshone by a lower score from Slant lol

By the way, I haven't watched the video but I read his review and it really strikes me as that of a person who did not play nearly as long as he claims he did. "Weapon fragility" is really only an issue early on... at this point I always have about 6 Royal Bows or better and ten top tier melee weapons on me at any given time, the game practically throws them at you.

The problem is not that you have insufficient weapons, it's that you have to open a menu to replace your weapon constantly. It's irritating and immersion breaking.

More importantly, if you watched his previous Jimquisitions/let's plays, it was very apparent that he was getting tired of Zelda and really, really wanted to get to Nier: Automata. You can't force yourself to like a game. I couldn't get myself to like Gravity Rush 2 despite all my efforts and just always went back to playing Future Tone. Nier: Automata isn't going to ever be mainstream, but for people that appreciate intelligent and thought-provoking games, it is an absolute uncomparable masterpiece. And Jim hasn't even gotten to the ending yet.

Johnw1104 said:
KLXVER said:
I agree with him. I don't mind weapons breaking as much in Dark Souls because they are actually quite durable and even if you do break it, it doesn't shatter. You just have to bring it to someone who can repair it. It really takes away the excitement of getting new weapons in BOTW. Like Ive found a really cool fire blade, but I don't want it to break because its the only one like it Ive seen in my many hours of playing the game. So now it just takes up space in my inventory. Its not game breaking, but people shouldn't defend it. If they do then the next Zelda will have swords made of glass as well.

People defend it as most of us don't mind. The game gives me far more weapons than I know what to do with, and you just have to stop getting sentimentally attached to weapons that you'll find again an hour from now.

No, you do find rare weapons. I do get attached to them because I like using them. For a game thats all about freedom, they sure like to limit you with the weapons.

KLXVER said:

I think weapons respawn so a cool weapon is not gone forever after breaking.

I'm basing this off of my relatively brief time playing the game as well as some online discussion:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75096610

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75074810

patronmacabre said:
Johnw1104 said:

It's a shame his attempt to be the lone dissenter was actually outshone by a lower score from Slant lol

By the way, I haven't watched the video but I read his review and it really strikes me as that of a person who did not play nearly as long as he claims he did. "Weapon fragility" is really only an issue early on... at this point I always have about 6 Royal Bows or better and ten top tier melee weapons on me at any given time, the game practically throws them at you.

The problem is not that you have insufficient weapons, it's that you have to open a menu to replace your weapon constantly. It's irritating and immersion breaking.

More importantly, if you watched his previous Jimquisitions/let's plays, it was very apparent that he was getting tired of Zelda and really, really wanted to get to Nier: Automata. You can't force yourself to like a game. I couldn't get myself to like Gravity Rush 2 despite all my efforts and just always went back to playing Future Tone. Nier: Automata isn't going to ever be mainstream, but for people that appreciate intelligent and thought-provoking games, it is an absolute uncomparable masterpiece. And Jim hasn't even gotten to the ending yet.

Open menu? You just press right on the directional pad and choose the next weapon, it takes like half a second.

As I've said elsewhere, it's clear to me he went into this game with a negative disposition looking for things to irritate him.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
The video already has 35k views, all the assholes have sprung up to claim that anyone who likes nintendo is a nazi, and we gave birth to a problem which shouldn't exist.

It's not his reviews that bother me- it's the presentation. Projared is notoriously known for giving harsh reviews, and yet you rarely see him in these types of issues. Why? It's because of the way he PRESENTS his opinions.

Then again, I don't disagree with his point about fanboys. All fanboys are toxic. He could give zelda 0/10 and I'd forget about it in a matter of a few minutes. Not like my 70 hours of fun will suddenly be deleted

"Oh if only he were NICER about the way he dissected my favorite game." You know that wouldn't pacify anyone when it comes to fanboys and Metacritic scores. Let's just be real here.

KLXVER said:
Johnw1104 said:

No, you do find rare weapons. I do get attached to them because I like using them. For a game thats all about freedom, they sure like to limit you with the weapons.

Name a rare weapon in the game.

KLXVER said:
Johnw1104 said:

They might seem rare at the moment, but they're abundant later. I rarely have room for the Royal set at this point when I come across it, and I've drastically increased by inventory space.

KLXVER said:

That's a shame.  Playing loot games like Borderlands or Torchlight, trying out and using all the new weapons you get is part of the fun.  I've been vocal about being glad the weapon degradation from Fallout NV was gone with Fallout 4, but at least with NV, you could keep the weapons repaired so that they never broke completely.

I said it well before Zelda Breath came along but I think weapon degradation that ends in a broken weapon is a mechanic that brings nothing positive to most games.

KLAMarine said:
KLXVER said:

I think weapons respawn so a cool weapon is not gone forever after breaking.

I'm basing this off of my relatively brief time playing the game as well as some online discussion:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75096610

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75074810

Thats better, but still I would have to go back to wherever I found the weapon every time it breaks. I know it was in a shrine, but I dont remember which one. I just think it becomes a hassle, but that its not lost forever is a comfort though.