By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility (The Jimquisition)

SvennoJ said:
sc94597 said:

You are more worried about spending your arrows than your bow breaking. Bows detorirate much slower than melee weapons. Many of the problems people have with weapon degregation is that they are using the wrong weapons on the wrong enemies. You shouldn't be using swords for hitting shields, in example. That is bound to get your sword broken. You need to use axes or spears to either avoid the shield or destroy it/fling it out of the enemies hands. Then you can switch to a sword if you wish. Certain attacks also instantly break weapons. 

If you follow these (realistic) gameplay rules, you can preserve your weapons longer. It requires planning though. Just as in a survival-horror game you plan to preserve ammunition, the same is true about planning how to use your favorite weapons. Later in the game, great weapons are so common that it isn't a problem, and since enemies scale as you complete things, you never feel like you are wasting weapons on undeserving enemies. 

When do they scale? I've completely explored the west end of the map, finished 2 dungeons, 42 shrines, 91 korok seeds found and recently descended the Gerudo mountains into Faron. The enemies there are very simple, so I'm currently fighting with a dropped dmg 4 moblin spear while saving my 24 flame spear, 54 crusher, 60 battle axe etc. I don't see any scaling.

I need to head back to the start though. My kids just showed me where you can increase your inventory after showing me the tutorial shrine for combat yesterday where the game tells you you can jump dodge for flurry rush and disarm enemies with the shield. A risk of total freedom, missing little essential details. Yet also nice to know there's still more to learn after apparently 70+ hours played. (Switch is showing play times now)

Everytime there is a bloodmoon the enemy distribution in camps gets harder. I am the point where there are mostly hardy Lizalfos and Moblins in every camp I go to. Any bokoblins that are present are the really hardy ones.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It's quite clear you haven't played the game if you think all weapons break that easily. And I have different rare weapons. A thunder sword, a fire sword, a special fire wand, a Sheikah halberd, etc. 

It's called hyperbole. Perhaps you should look it up.

It's called playing a game, perhaps you should try it. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

KLXVER said:
I agree with him. I don't mind weapons breaking as much in Dark Souls because they are actually quite durable and even if you do break it, it doesn't shatter. You just have to bring it to someone who can repair it. It really takes away the excitement of getting new weapons in BOTW. Like Ive found a really cool fire blade, but I don't want it to break because its the only one like it Ive seen in my many hours of playing the game. So now it just takes up space in my inventory. Its not game breaking, but people shouldn't defend it. If they do then the next Zelda will have swords made of glass as well.

exactly. in the witcher 3 i didnt mind my swords breaking. I could travel to the nearest blacksmith on Roach and repair it for some gold.

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

Perhaps its the part where you're repeatedly disagreeing with people who say its a problem for them by explaining why its not a problem for you.

Okay? Those people clearly weren't familiar enough with the game, so I explained that the actual game is different to how they imagine it to be. If you've read the entirety of this thread, other people who've played the game a lot are saying more or less the same things as I did.

That's so arrogant. Now you're arguing that the only reason people are having issues with the game is because they haven't played it enough. It doesn't matter if the game becomes more tolerable if time goes on if the issues they're having with the game make them not want to play it long enough to get there.

Alkibiádēs said:
potato_hamster said:

It's called hyperbole. Perhaps you should look it up.

I have, thanks. It might come as a surprise to you, but not everyone considers this game to be a masterpiecee.

Around the Network

Honestly I quite like that the weapons break; I provides the game a fantastic implementation of a dynamic levelling system.
That being said: I do wish I could equip armour that improves weapon durability, or at least make them 2X more durable.

potato_hamster said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I have, thanks. It might come as a surprise to you, but not everyone considers this game to be a masterpiecee.

Anyone can claim they played it, but considering the fact you're saying stuff that isn't true I'm not going to believe you. :) 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Im sorry but "the game expects you to take weapons for granted and if you dont, you're playing it wrong" is a terrible argument. You cant decide  what part of gameplay has value or not for other players. 

Jim liked the game. Based on his text review, he liked it despite not liking either the stamina bar and paper mache weapons and rain delays for tower / mountain climbing.

Alkibiádēs said:
potato_hamster said:

Anyone can claim they played it, but considering the fact you're saying stuff that isn't true I'm not going to believe you. :) 

What have I said that isn't true?