By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I wish sony would not kill off playstation portable brand

I hope some day sony comes out with psp 3...

I owned psp slim and loved it

I wanted to support the vita but there werent enough games for me to buy the system

I wish sony would come out with a psp 3 that has graphics similar to ps4 with a 1080p screen. The system can have the same size screen as switch but but slimmer all the way around so it can fit inside your pocket. Imagine a psp3 where you buy games on ps4 / ps5 and its play everywhere so you can also play the same game on the go.

It would be amazing the play a game like the witcher 3/gta5 on the go.

Either that or microsoft should have play everywhere on surface and just allow me to play all these games on the go!

Around the Network
Geralt said:

I hope some day sony comes out with psp 3...

I owned psp slim and loved it

I wanted to support the vita but there werent enough games for me to buy the system

I wish sony would come out with a psp 3 that has graphics similar to ps4 with a 1080p screen. The system can have the same size screen as switch but but slimmer all the way around so it can fit inside your pocket. Imagine a psp3 where you buy games on ps4 / ps5 and its play everywhere so you can also play the same game on the go.

Either that or microsoft should have play everywhere on surface and just allow me to play all these games on the go!

I doubt that will happen.

For once, Nintendo owns the dedicated handheld market.

Second, you have to find a balance between hardware power, battery life and temperature. A better display is possible, but PS4 / PS5 graphics on a handheld which should also fit into your pocket are imo impossible.  

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Geralt said:

"There are currently 1394[a] games across both this page (M to Z) and the remainder of the list from A to L."  - wiki.

Alot of those are pretty damn good ones too, theres tons of Dungeon crawlers/action-rpgs/turnbased rpgs & strategy/platformers/puzzle's ect.

This "no games on vita" BS needs to stop.

If you can live without pokemon/mario... the Vita is a great handheld.

"This is a list of Xbox One games currently planned or released either at retail or via download.  There are currently 1078[a] games on this list." - Wiki

Xbox One has less games than the PS Vita does atm.

So it has games, and before you go "its about quality" theres tons of great games on the Vita too.

I loved my Vita. I used it almost as much as I used my Dreamcast. The games library is definitely there, and it really helped me move over to embracing the idea of a digital library. I'd buy a third iteration from Sony.

But yeah, probably won't happen. A little disappointed with how the rear touchpad was used, too. I always thought it would've been the perfect targeting system for shooters. I've made my peace with it though.

I have a vita and I bought about 15 games for it, the amount of games is high but the amount of games I was interested in was low, espcially racing and AAA games where lacking.

Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Killzone, Freedom Wars and other games where excellent and the only anoying thing was a lack of First party support, no R2 and L2 buttons and the back touch being a horror.

The hardware apart from that was ahead of its time compared to the 3DS and like Fielding88 said I played it as much as my dreamcast.

I think however as the VR headset isn't excactly recieving the most first party support right now if sony wants to have a VR-lineup and a home console lineup its best to avoid a third generation of their handheld, especially since the PSVita sold way below their expectations.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
fielding88 said:
I loved my Vita. I used it almost as much as I used my Dreamcast. The games library is definitely there, and it really helped me move over to embracing the idea of a digital library. I'd buy a third iteration from Sony.

But yeah, probably won't happen. A little disappointed with how the rear touchpad was used, too. I always thought it would've been the perfect targeting system for shooters. I've made my peace with it though.

Yep.

Honestly if they make a PSP2 or Vita 2, whatever they call it, I hope they just drop the rear touchpad.

Stick with normal memory cards (microSD orwhatever). and just go for good bang-4-buck design.

If possible make it backwards compatable with the vita games already out there.

I wouldnt be against a newer portable from sony either.

I think its possible to get a cheaper (smaller) chip, thats more power effecient (no waste) thats purely handheld, that ll beatout the performance of the switch in portable mode.

There are drawbacks to doing a hybrid console, the way nintendo did. Its not as effecient as a pure handheld would be.

It leaves a opening at the low-end, where Sony could attack them with a handheld if they wanted.

Geralt said:

The problem and part of the Vita's failure is that Sony is not responsible for these franchises and big western developers just aren't interested in portable gaming anymore. Hell even sonys main studios bar Media Molecule refused to touch the Vita because they had more ambitious priorities on home console. Even with 3DS's sales it has very few western games of note.

The Switch is your best bet and will likely get more support than any future sony portable could dream of. 

Geralt, im feeling like you should have combined both of your threads....

I totally agree with you, but i think the problem is that the mobile gaming belongs to the smartphones now

the only way this happens is if sony comtimues with support for the PS4 through out the life of the PS5.

With 7nm tech, they could make the PS5 be its 12-16TF GPU console in a chip size about the same as what we have in the PS4pro today, and if somehow using the same tech onthe gPS4 chip they can drop that to about half its size.

It would be easy to put that into a handheld/tablet form factor. At that point, sony can have devs make a version of all their games support native 720p for the "PS4 portable" all the way up to 4k for the PS5 home console.

Ideally thats how it would be done, but realistically its nowhere near as simple as that. There are limitations.......