By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros 4 Switch will have a story mode ?

Tagged games:

animegaming said:
It doesn't even one especially with how lackluster Sub Space really was and I rather take things like 8 man Smash and the CGI character reveal trailers over another Sub Space.

But they already have that, why wouldn't you want extra modes in the Switch version?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
animegaming said:
It doesn't even one especially with how lackluster Sub Space really was and I rather take things like 8 man Smash and the CGI character reveal trailers over another Sub Space.

But they already have that, why wouldn't you want extra modes in the Switch version?

I honestly would rather have the resources put into more characters and stages both new and old then a story mode. 

animegaming said:
VGPolyglot said:

I honestly would rather have the resources put into more characters and stages both new and old then a story mode. 

Well, I wouldn't buy it then. I want new modes, not just a quickly put together game of prior DLC.

Bofferbrauer said:
I really loved the subspace emissary

That being said, I doubt there will ever be such a mode again in Smash. Sakurai said he absolutely hated the fact that the whole story mode got posted on YouTube and said he would never do something like that again. He felt that as thanks for his efforts for this mode everyone just watched the movie clips online instead of actually playing them (which was true at first btw, the subspace emissary wasn't well received when it was first announced and took some time to become liked), making it feel to him like a wasted effort.

If he doesn't want his works being seen on YouTube, the gaming industry's not the place for him. Maybe he could get involved in the snuff film industry, I assume that the story for those wouldn't get leaked on YT.

VGPolyglot said:
Bofferbrauer said:
I really loved the subspace emissary

That being said, I doubt there will ever be such a mode again in Smash. Sakurai said he absolutely hated the fact that the whole story mode got posted on YouTube and said he would never do something like that again. He felt that as thanks for his efforts for this mode everyone just watched the movie clips online instead of actually playing them (which was true at first btw, the subspace emissary wasn't well received when it was first announced and took some time to become liked), making it feel to him like a wasted effort.

If he doesn't want his works being seen on YouTube, the gaming industry's not the place for him. Maybe he could get involved in the snuff film industry, I assume that the story for those wouldn't get leaked on YT.

Or you know he doesn't have to make cutscenes or story focus games. Since story isn't the end all be all of games like a good game can a shit story but still be a good game due to good gameplay the a game with a good story can still be a shit game due to terrible gameplay.

Around the Network
animegaming said:
VGPolyglot said:

Or you know he doesn't have to make cutscenes or story focus games. Since story isn't the end all be all of games like a good game can a shit story but still be a good game due to good gameplay the a game with a good story can still be a shit game due to terrible gameplay.

Then why couldn't he just say that he doesn't want a story based game, instead of coming up with that cop out excuse that he did?

Sakurai stated that his reason for not having a story mode is SSB4 was because when Brawl released, people quickly dumped the game and uploaded all the cutscenes online, which he felt ruined the experience. So instead he made a bunch of cinematic trailers used to reveal newcomers and generate hype. And that worked a bit TOO well. They were able to create a successful advertising campaign without increasing the cost of production, and people lost their minds over the trailers.

Plus, Smash Bros as a side-scrolling platformer feels weird now, looking back on it. (just a thought)

I think a few new characters, new stages, and possibly a better use of amiibo would be enough

yes please!! and more characters. Super "Bomberman" R and "Rayman" Legends are on switch for a reason ;)

I hope no... there are a lot of things that the competitive comunity needs, like hazard on/off switch, buffs to low tiers just to name a few.

Hopefully! Anyway, since I haven't played Smash 4 I will buy it with or without the story more. But here's hoping they add it!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won