By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Breath of the Wild Isn't GOTY, I Don't Know What Is /s

LipeJJ said:

I love me some salt.

Man, Breath of the Wild must be really affecting people that don't like Nintendo, they are freaking out all around making jab threads and trying to downplay the game on every discussion about it.

You may have missed all the ones who attack those who say anything even remotely negative about it. You know, like it happens with any game.

Interesting, though, how differently people can see things. Confirmation bias from both sides, perhaps?

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Highest score on metacritic isn't a secured GOTY. I'd argue Horizon, Nier, Nioh, potentially ME Andromeda, FF7 remake or RDR2 are still on competition. Hell, for all we know even Ni No Kuni 2 may very well be, its too early to say.

Nah, Japanese non-super mainstream games rarely win many GOTY western awards. Its only real competitors are RDR, Andromeda (like you said) and Mario Odysee.

Kai_Mao said:
Wyrdness said:
Tbh I don't see any other game other than possibly SMO dethroning BOTW and that's because the latter is SMG, SM64 and 3DW rolled into one and if executed right is the only possible design that could stand up to what's in BOTW.

I really don't see RDR2 troubling BOTW tbh as the problem that game will have in competing is that BOTW allows full absolute freedom something that many open world games will have trouble standing up to as they won't be designed around it and secondly Zelda has the freedom of having crazy mechanics to manipulate the world around the world something RDR2 will have a problem getting around.

*Former :P

I'm not sure if RDR2 having limited mechanics necessarily means a lesser game. Not saying BotW's mechanics and unlimited potential with those mechanics and physics are overrated since I've been enjoying exploring those possibilities and pushing my limits as a gamer with this game. Just saying that RDR2 is set in a more realistic setting so seeing humans doing backflips, using shields to snowboard, or using stasis to build momentum for a boulder and climb on it to go on a fun ride aren't gonna be in the realm of possibility for RDR2.

Anyway, after playing BoTW for so many hours, I find it hard to really see other games stand out like this game. Of course, I will be getting games like Horizon, Mass Effect Andromena, Persona 5, Super Mario Odyssey, etc. down the road. However, in the end, BotW has created its own standard on how to execute the freedom and possibilities of open world with the type of mechanics and physics it has. BoTW is it's own game, and a damn great one at that.

That's the point though BOTW is the sum of all its parts which means any other game lacking equivalent parts is by default at a disadvantage, both games aim for their own target but when competing against each other such things come into play as a factor.

mysteryman said:

You know there's a quick weapon select menu? Hold right on the D-pad to scroll though your weapons. 

The enemy AI is excellent. Enemies are highly reactive to the environment and your own actions. 

I never said the AI is bad, the AI is great, enemies behave like they are suposed to and they never do anythign stupid or easy to exploit, but the move sets of the enemies is quite limited and they are very easy to read and predict. I feel like BotW wanted to do a bit of Darksouls, slowing down combat giving us a stamina bar and making enemies hit like freaking trucks, Im not sure it worked too well tough. 

The game raised the bar on open world games, by a large margin when most thought it wouldn't. It is huge, full, and non repetitive for the most part with unique puzzles and complete freedom.

There are other worthy nominees sure, but to deny that Breath of the Wild does not have the odds on its side to win GotY is just denial. Even Red Dead 2 will have a hard time making it's mark against it if it releases this year.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
Not in my opinion, there are much better games coming out in 2017 imo.

We know they're better even before they're out?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
KLAMarine said:

It doesn't have to be for you to have an opinion.

And perhaps reviewers also didn't have any framerate issues playing Breath of the Wild?

Damn man, you are like the Chris Hansen of VGChartz :D

Thank you. I enjoy challenging people's opinions...

It's honestly more fun than video games at times. People can be so dynamic and interesting at times and maybe I'll change someone for the better in the process? Maybe I'll even do a bit of good for the world? Maybe I'll steer someone away from some dangerous idea like AIDS denialism (yes, that's a thing) or some other crazy idea?

I doubt BotW can be topped but I would like to see other games try. I had to force myself to go to bed since it was getting near 6am, 7 hours of gaming later. That hasn't happened to me since Dark souls. Epic game. I didn't even get to do the dungeon I was planning to do, sidetracked for 7 hours and it was amazing.

Don't underestimate Red Dead.

VAMatt said:
spemanig said:

Yeah, 9 months is plenty of time for other games to break perfect review score records!

That's not how game of the year awards work, generally.  

That's because games don't get that many perfect review scores, regularly.

alternine said:
WagnerPaiva said:
I am sure it will win some GOTY awards. But a lot of others also deserve, like RE7 and Horizon.

I have no doubt that Horizon will but that video? Convincing stuff

Lol, it is outside the box, which is good. The chickens attacking the monster and the bear on fire, that is good stuff indeed. 

I like this level of freedom, only games not rushed have that. Assassins Creed is the opposito, everything is so rushed that it looks nice but the world still feels empty and robotic.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.