By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - System Shock remake is made for PC gamers first, says game director

Chazore said:

You sound like you've not only made a decision that it's definitely going to sell a ton more on consoles, but also asking why don't the devs screw over the other platform instead. I have to ask why even?.

How is it a cotnradiction onto itself when 1) the game hasn't even been released and 2) you're basing it on your own opinion and ignoring long tail sales in favor of the short burst. 

Star Citizen route and shut up?, did that hit a nerve or something, because afaik consoles have their own exclusives and boast about it all the time. I honestly think it's fair for devs to assure PC players that they will be getting a good experience tailored to them.

And you sound like you are on a witch hunt evn though what I said was clear to see. Bus lets play along.

Can you point out a single current gen game that released on both consoles and PC simultaneously that sold better on PC than on the consoles? If you can't (like i suspect you won't b able to) then that means that from a purely financial perspective, any dev releasing a game for both consoles and PC based on the history of every such game released this gen so far stands to make more money from the consoles than the PC. I don't need th game to be out to know this..... just look at every multiplatform game so far. If SS bucks the trend; it will be an anomaly. 

And the star citizen reference..... let me elaborate. I do not care for exclusives. If something has enough exclusives that I want, then I will simply invest in the damn thing. So if these devs wanna make an exclusive... let them go the SC route and make the game a PC exclusive. Simple as that. I hate it when a dev making a multiplat game talks up one platform in anyway over the others as if they are already making an open declaration of preference yet expect all parties to pay just the same. And i would feel the same way if a dev was talking upa console version of a gam and yet releasin it simultaneously on PC too. You either treat everyone fairly, or don't bother with everyone at all. Thats how I see it.

Around the Network

Bought and played #2 off Steam last year. Didn't get too far because oh Lord, old 3D is like acid on my eyes (and for whatever reason M&K feels bad to me, like can't play more than 30 mins bad). I see a really cool game underneath what I see as blemishes, so I'm definitely looking forward to this remake of the first.

Intrinsic said:
Hmmm, I bet it sells more on consoles. Which begs the question, a dev comes out and declares their game is made for a particular audience but yet the game sells better to another audience?

Thats a contradiction if ever I have seen one. If they really wanna be all through and through PC? they should take the star citizen route or shut up.

No, that's not a contradiction. They make the game for the taste of PC gamers and everyone on console who still likes it can buy it as well. They just don't make it for the taste of console gamers first to get even more sales on consoles as they will get. Just because the game "will be made like PC gamers want it" doesn't mean that it will be bad on console, just that more console players won't like it as they would do if it would be made with console in mind first. 

And it's a Kickstarter game after all. Shall they fuck their backers now just because it will maybe sell better on console? 

Sure, they could say the game won't release on console at all but as long as they will make the game for the backers which are PC gamers, a console version can be still nice for many console players. It will just maybe feel a little bit less like a console game as other console games but that doesn't mean that it is useless on console. 

crissindahouse said:
Intrinsic said:
Hmmm, I bet it sells more on consoles. Which begs the question, a dev comes out and declares their game is made for a particular audience but yet the game sells better to another audience?

Thats a contradiction if ever I have seen one. If they really wanna be all through and through PC? they should take the star citizen route or shut up.

No, that's not a contradiction. They make the game for the taste of PC gamers and everyone on console who still likes it can buy it as well. They just don't make it for the taste of console gamers first to get even more sales on consoles as they will get. Just because the game "will be made like PC gamers want it" doesn't mean that it will be bad on console, just that more console players won't like it as they would do if it would be made with console in mind first. 

And it's a Kickstarter game after all. Shall they fuck their backers now just because it will maybe sell better on console? 

Sure, they could say the game won't release on console at all but as long as they will make the game for the backers which are PC gamers, a console version can be still nice for many console players. It will just maybe feel a little bit less like a console game as other console games but that doesn't mean that it is useless on console. 

What I want to know is why he's so concerned about sales. The same type of comment was made within the Crash badnicoot thread in terms of PS4 sales, despite the fact that the thread wasn't at all about sales in the frist place, nor is this thread either. This thread is about PC devs letting their backers know that they won't be gimping their version of the game, that's pretty much all there is to it.

It's weird, but these days we have PC devs or devs in general, standing up and having to tell us that they won't gimp their PC versions, which wasn't a big thing some years back. It's reassuring though for the devs to go out of their way to let their backers know that they promise to keep things as smooth as possible, better that than being completely silent about it and then pulling a bad job out of the blue. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

What I want to know is why he's so concerned about sales. The same type of comment was made within the Crash badnicoot thread in terms of PS4 sales, despite the fact that the thread wasn't at all about sales in the frist place, nor is this thread either. This thread is about PC devs letting their backers know that they won't be gimping their version of the game, that's pretty much all there is to it.

It's weird, but these days we have PC devs or devs in general, standing up and having to tell us that they won't gimp their PC versions, which wasn't a big thing some years back. It's reassuring though for the devs to go out of their way to let their backers know that they promise to keep things as smooth as possible, better that than being completely silent about it and then pulling a bad job out of the blue. 

Wait... so your problem is that i pointed out that the game wil still sell better on consoles?

Let me make this simple.... consoles will be their biggest market, if its as chrissindahouse said and their comment just meant the game is gonna be more like a PC game then I have no issues with that. But if its as I read it which was that the console version of the game is somehow not as important to them then I have an issue with that.... because you guessed it; the bulk of their sales will come from the console version anyways.

But why is my talking about sales of a game such a bad thing? 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Wait... so your problem is that i pointed out that the game wil still sell better on consoles?

Let me make this simple.... consoles will be their biggest market, if its as chrissindahouse said and their comment just meant the game is gonna be more like a PC game then I have no issues with that. But if its as I read it which was that the console version of the game is somehow not as important to them then I have an issue with that.... because you guessed it; the bulk of their sales will come from the console version anyways.

You can carry on talking about sales all you like, but this thread isn't even about sales at all, same with that Crash bandicoot thread, this is about the devs talking about not gimping the PC version towards their backers and the crowd of the franchise in general, which has been on PC.

If you take issue with them not adhering to what you want them to say in and out till the end of the gen (likely all gens so let's roll with that), then I'd say take that up with them, not me.

The idea of the devs wanting to treat their backers and fans of the franchise with respect is something that should be seen as a good thing, rather than gimping them to hell for other systems cash (which isn't how you win the gimped side at all, just an fyi for all those gimped ports that have been on PC, zero excuse for those). 

No one is talking about sales as if they are a bad thing, you just started it out by mentioning sales for a game that's not even out yet as if it's the main topic when it isn't at all.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Footage looks very bad and boring but its still Alpha footage so lets see.

Of course it's in Alpha, I expect it to stick to what the devs have always had in mind for the remake.

I dunno what you're expecting from the game, have you played and enjoyed the previous two Systsem Shock games?.

I tried the demo, and I couldn't get very far in it. I guess I missed some important detail, because everything was so dark it was hard to spot all the important parts. I imagine it wasn't a problem in the original version. I think the controls also felt a bit laggy. Other than that, this sure seems nice.

Intrinsic said:

The game isn't out yet. You can't make any accurate assumptions at this stage.

There are certain franchises that tend to always sell better on PC, that is an undeniable fact.

PC as a market is bigger than any singular console platform, remember that. We have more gamers, more money, more games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Potential sales are irrelevant for their decision to look at PC first when most backers invested for a PC version. Those who might buy it on console could be more as those on PC (but not for certain) but they never backed them as much to realise the game so that they are obviously not the "favoured" group as long as the dev doesn't want to fool their backers just for potential higher sales on another platform.

It's a pretty fair decision to think first about your biggest group of backers and only then about the potential extra customers.